University of California Berkeley

Updated Nov 5, 2014
Updated Nov 5, 2014

2.6

Assistant Director Interview

Human Resources rep meets with department and hiring manager for an intake process meeting. Advertised on in house and various well known job sites, recruiter sourced his/her files of relevant candidates, a hiring committee screened for "yes, no, and maybe" candidates, then had panel interviews with 5 finalists, then chose 2 most likely to get hired hiring manager interviewed both and choose candidate.

Interview Questions
    • What was your most difficult challenge and how did you resolve it?   View Answer

Panelists' attitude.

Caller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

I sent in a resume and cover letter online. The manager immediately replied and said he would be interested in scheduling a phone interview. The interview was brief, easy and fun. I believe the manager wanted to make sure I was sociable on the phone. Afterward, a similar 1:1 live interview. I later heard back that I could come to a training on "getting in the door" and other sales techniques (paid to attend training). Once the training ended, I was brought on as a caller.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a situation where someone wanted to give to Cal, but simply "did not have the money"?   Answer Question

Resident Assistant Interview

There are two rounds for the interview process. There are single interviews where you speak to RDs and current RAs, and then there are group interviews where RAs and RDs observe how you interact with other potential individuals for the position. It is not a matter of who talks the most, or who listens the most, it is completely arbitrary and up to the RD observing. One female RD that I observed alongside, was extremely sexist. Every male potential that interviewed received 0-1, whereas every female potential received 4-5 (out of 5). She solely stated that the males deserved such low scores because they were exercising their male authority. I was completely dumbfounded, but in my position I can't really talk back to the RD anyway.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular, just be weary of body language, tone, courtesy, "airtime", and other nonverbal characteristics during the group interview.   View Answer
    No negotiations

Outreach Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Easy application process of handing in your resume online. Recruiter will call you randomly (mine was in the evening) and ask you a series of questions related to UC Berkeley, customer relations experience, and scenario questions. If you are selected to go on to the next round, you will have a group interview with about 5 other people.

Interview Questions
    • Would you feel comfortable asking a very low income family for a donation to UC Berkeley?   Answer Question

Undergraduate Student Instructor Interview

Simple email correspondence with coordinator of GSIs

No negotiation

Library Supervisor II Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in March 2014.

Phone screening call followed by 4 hours of interviewing on campus with numerous members of search committee. Email notification sent in advance was very vague and general and did not prepare for what was actually expected. Initially met with a 4 member group, followed by meeting with approximately 10 staff/faculty members, followed by one on one with hiring manager/direct supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to present for 5 minutes on a random topic of interest   Answer Question

Human Resources Student Assistant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Recruited through workstudy website

Interview Questions
    • None - simply reviewed my resume and asked questions about it   Answer Question

Program Manager, Alumni and Student Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

This was an entry level position and therefore the questions focused on my experience. My most applicable experience was my volunteer experience, so I expanded on how that would translate to the job and my love of connecting people.

Interview Questions
    They offered a salary and I was able to easily raise it by $2K just be asking on the phone.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

I applied after seeing an ad on NatureJobs and was contacted about a week later to come in and give a presentation. The presentation and subsequent interviews lasted about 6 hours, although this process differs dramatically from lab to lab. I chatted with the PI after interviewing with everyone in the lab and she offered me a position right away. In my case, this was a very easy process.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. The postdoc pay scale is based on NIH guidelines.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in February 2014.

Applied online for this newly created position in early November 2013, but was not contacted for a phone screen until early February 2014.

During the 15-minute phone screen, I was asked: my reasons for applying; specific questions about my most recent positions; my experience with research, strategic planning, and admin support; how I would work with staff who have multiple conflicting deadlines; my leadership and communication style.

They contacted me the next day, informing me that they would not be moving forward with a formal interview, which likely would've been a panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is your experience with strategic planning? Considering we're a growing organization, what steps would you take to implement this plan? What is your experience with short and long-term goals?   Answer Question
    • Describe in detail how you carried out XYZ job duties for this position.   Answer Question