University of California Berkeley Interview Questions

Updated Apr 23, 2015

2.5

Student Assistant Interview

Interview

One interview with the library supervisor with a tour of the workplace. Questions were basic and behavioral. Mostly just questions about past experience. She also asked about your future plans and was hoping someone that could work for 1+ years. Other than that, they'd take pretty much who ever get interviewed.

Graduate Student Instructor Interview

Interview

The hiring process begins with an online application where you indicate your course preferences. There's also space to submit or upload your CV. After submission, professors choose students based on preference. Final assignments are formalized by the GSI coordinator. There isn't a formal interview, but professors talk to one another to see who might be a good fit. First time GSI's are often assigned to a general, lower division course.

Interview Questions

• You state why your background prepares you for that particular job.   1 Answer

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Dependent on department. Application process was rigorous for bioengineering. Need research experience in undergrad or some time of summer research experience. Any prior publications are looked upon favorably. Rec letters are also very important, with research letters having higher weight than letters from a prof you just took a class with.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

They had a opening posted on their website. I emailed them my resume in an email explaining why I am interested in the position. I got a interview. I met with the PI and the Post- doctorate student who I will be directly working with. They asked about my previous experience and explained what the position was.

Interview Questions

• For me the hardest part was whether I can be there for the summer. I was applying for a part-time during the semester. They also asked me to not take a class and devote that time to the lab.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Submitted job application and resume. Contacted by manager within the same day and was asked to come for a group interview. The process was easy and straightforward, and was a good practice in interviewing for a student.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself in 3 words   1 Answer

Management was unprofessional

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Interview

The standard method of hiring for undergraduate research assistants at Berkeley is through their CalCareer Center portal. But I would suggest a better method would be to contact directly the professor at office hours. Once they establish there is room in the lab, I had an interview/walkthrough tour of the lab with my direct boss (the post-doctorate scholar in the lab) and then another interview after with the Professor whose research I would be working on.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you over the hundreds of other students who are better suited for this position?   Answer Question

Metrics and Reporting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

The interviewers really focuses on the role's required specific skills. They asked intelligent questions and were focused on what you can bring for the group.

The interview started on time and was roughly about an hour. 4 people interviewed me and each one asked questions in relation to what group they represented.

Interview Questions

• When asked to provide specific examples, hard to choose which scenario would best represent the question at hand.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

I just need to submit the applications to the university. No interview at all. After consider my application, they give me an offer. Also, I have to submit some document like GRE, and GPA, etc.

Invertebrate Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Pretty chill. Just a meeting with the graduate student you will be working under. I was asked about the classes I have taken and any background I've had working with marine animals.

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Employee in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

It varies by department/unit, so experience can vary; usually a panel.
    Some panelist are better at conducting interviews than other; they must ask the same questions of all candidates, whether or not they appy to you or not. Some panels can be strict and will not let you deviate from what is asked of you. Scheduled time is critical and sometimes without flexibility even if the interview is going well. Follow-up process after the interview can be lingering, depends on the department. Often you apply for a position, you are never informed of application status. Again, it depends on the hiring department.