University of California Berkeley

Updated Jan 28, 2015
Updated Jan 28, 2015

2.6

Postdoctoral Employee Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

After contacting directly with PI, I was asked several questions about the research projects in the previous institute (through email). About ~2 weeks after interview, I was invited to a seminar with a small group. An offer was given after the seminar.

Not much room for negotiation.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Applied to an online job posting. Got a call for a phone interview approx. 2 weeks later. Phone interview was with two people who worked in department. It was a 30 minute interview and they asked me several questions about my past experience and how I would handle situations that came up. If you are well prepared it should be smooth.

Interview Questions
    • What is the greatest challenge facing the UC Berkeley community?   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

once you get admitted to phD program, then you go talk to professors and find phD project that interests you most. After that, you go to the payroll office to finish the paper work.

Interview Questions
    • you has to get very high GPA from prestigious undergrad programs, some research/job experience is a plus   Answer Question
    it's a phD program, there's no negotiation.

Student Assistant Interview

Very pleasant experience, applied online, got call for interview one week later. Met with HR and got offer 1 week later. h. h. h .h. h . h . h. h . h. h . h . h . . h

Assistant Director Interview

Human Resources rep meets with department and hiring manager for an intake process meeting. Advertised on in house and various well known job sites, recruiter sourced his/her files of relevant candidates, a hiring committee screened for "yes, no, and maybe" candidates, then had panel interviews with 5 finalists, then chose 2 most likely to get hired hiring manager interviewed both and choose candidate.

Interview Questions
    • What was your most difficult challenge and how did you resolve it?   View Answer

Panelists' attitude.

Caller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

I sent in a resume and cover letter online. The manager immediately replied and said he would be interested in scheduling a phone interview. The interview was brief, easy and fun. I believe the manager wanted to make sure I was sociable on the phone. Afterward, a similar 1:1 live interview. I later heard back that I could come to a training on "getting in the door" and other sales techniques (paid to attend training). Once the training ended, I was brought on as a caller.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a situation where someone wanted to give to Cal, but simply "did not have the money"?   Answer Question

Resident Assistant Interview

There are two rounds for the interview process. There are single interviews where you speak to RDs and current RAs, and then there are group interviews where RAs and RDs observe how you interact with other potential individuals for the position. It is not a matter of who talks the most, or who listens the most, it is completely arbitrary and up to the RD observing. One female RD that I observed alongside, was extremely sexist. Every male potential that interviewed received 0-1, whereas every female potential received 4-5 (out of 5). She solely stated that the males deserved such low scores because they were exercising their male authority. I was completely dumbfounded, but in my position I can't really talk back to the RD anyway.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular, just be weary of body language, tone, courtesy, "airtime", and other nonverbal characteristics during the group interview.   View Answer
    No negotiations

Outreach Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Easy application process of handing in your resume online. Recruiter will call you randomly (mine was in the evening) and ask you a series of questions related to UC Berkeley, customer relations experience, and scenario questions. If you are selected to go on to the next round, you will have a group interview with about 5 other people.

Interview Questions
    • Would you feel comfortable asking a very low income family for a donation to UC Berkeley?   Answer Question

Undergraduate Student Instructor Interview

Simple email correspondence with coordinator of GSIs

No negotiation

Library Supervisor II Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in March 2014.

Phone screening call followed by 4 hours of interviewing on campus with numerous members of search committee. Email notification sent in advance was very vague and general and did not prepare for what was actually expected. Initially met with a 4 member group, followed by meeting with approximately 10 staff/faculty members, followed by one on one with hiring manager/direct supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to present for 5 minutes on a random topic of interest   Answer Question