University of California Berkeley Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.5

Associate Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

1 hour convention interview followed by 1 day campus interview. Met with search committee all at once at convention interview. Met with various faculty members individually at campus interview. Gave research presentation of about 45 minutes, followed by 30 minute Q&A. Went to lunch with a group of graduate students. Went to dinner with a few faculty members, some of whom were on the search committee, others not.

Principal Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Contacted by an HR person a week after submitting my application online. Set up a six-person panel interview on Wednesday with 4 designers, a developer, and a manager. All very nice and had prepared questions in advance. Got contacted Friday and asked to come in for another round of interviews now with three people: web director, executive director of marketing and external relations, and an editorial director. Also very nice people who seemed genuinely invested in their work. Was told by the executive director that they are looking to fill the position fast and will be contacting me by EOW with next steps and making an offer the following week. However, I have not heard from them by EOW or by mid next week, which was odd because they were very responsive and transparent in the process. Had to call HR to find out that I was out of the race. I was disappointed by the way they handled the situation. I thought they should have let me know either way because I already was pretty far in the process.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep up with design trends?   Answer Question
    • How would you go about designing a website that would stay visually-current in 18 months?   Answer Question

Work Study/Help Desk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

I was a student and looking for a work-study job. I checked UC Berkeley's employment website and found the job. After mailing my resume, I got respond next day to set up an interview. The interview was held in one of their meeting rooms with two senior Liberians. They were intelligent and friendly. All interview questions were related to the particular job. No old school questions such as "what are your strength and weakness."

Student Assistant Interview

Interview

One interview with the library supervisor with a tour of the workplace. Questions were basic and behavioral. Mostly just questions about past experience. She also asked about your future plans and was hoping someone that could work for 1+ years. Other than that, they'd take pretty much who ever get interviewed.

Office Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

I found the position through workstudy.berkeley.edu and sent my resume and cover letter online. I received a call back within a week, and was basically given a phone interview right then and there. After the interview, the office manager (who was conducting the interview) told me to come in the next day. One of the other employees showed me around, and before I knew it, I was sitting in the HR office filling out my paper work. I didn't even have an actual in-person interview. It was probably because it was just for a work study position, but it was the easiest interview I've ever had.

Graduate Student Instructor Interview

Interview

The hiring process begins with an online application where you indicate your course preferences. There's also space to submit or upload your CV. After submission, professors choose students based on preference. Final assignments are formalized by the GSI coordinator. There isn't a formal interview, but professors talk to one another to see who might be a good fit. First time GSI's are often assigned to a general, lower division course.

Interview Questions

• You state why your background prepares you for that particular job.   1 Answer

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Dependent on department. Application process was rigorous for bioengineering. Need research experience in undergrad or some time of summer research experience. Any prior publications are looked upon favorably. Rec letters are also very important, with research letters having higher weight than letters from a prof you just took a class with.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Student Fundraiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

One phone interview in which the recruiter asks a short series of questions that put you in the situation of negotiating a donation from a stubborn alumnus, dealing with rejection, or building rapport with a Cal alumnus.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase

Research Assistant Interview

Application

Interview

They had a opening posted on their website. I emailed them my resume in an email explaining why I am interested in the position. I got a interview. I met with the PI and the Post- doctorate student who I will be directly working with. They asked about my previous experience and explained what the position was.

Interview Questions

• For me the hardest part was whether I can be there for the summer. I was applying for a part-time during the semester. They also asked me to not take a class and devote that time to the lab.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Submitted job application and resume. Contacted by manager within the same day and was asked to come for a group interview. The process was easy and straightforward, and was a good practice in interviewing for a student.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself in 3 words   1 Answer

Management was unprofessional