University of California Berkeley

Updated Jan 28, 2015
Updated Jan 28, 2015

2.6

Library Supervisor II Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in March 2014.

Phone screening call followed by 4 hours of interviewing on campus with numerous members of search committee. Email notification sent in advance was very vague and general and did not prepare for what was actually expected. Initially met with a 4 member group, followed by meeting with approximately 10 staff/faculty members, followed by one on one with hiring manager/direct supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to present for 5 minutes on a random topic of interest   Answer Question

Human Resources Student Assistant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Recruited through workstudy website

Interview Questions
    • None - simply reviewed my resume and asked questions about it   Answer Question

Program Manager, Alumni and Student Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

This was an entry level position and therefore the questions focused on my experience. My most applicable experience was my volunteer experience, so I expanded on how that would translate to the job and my love of connecting people.

Interview Questions
    They offered a salary and I was able to easily raise it by $2K just be asking on the phone.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

I applied after seeing an ad on NatureJobs and was contacted about a week later to come in and give a presentation. The presentation and subsequent interviews lasted about 6 hours, although this process differs dramatically from lab to lab. I chatted with the PI after interviewing with everyone in the lab and she offered me a position right away. In my case, this was a very easy process.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. The postdoc pay scale is based on NIH guidelines.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in February 2014.

Applied online for this newly created position in early November 2013, but was not contacted for a phone screen until early February 2014.

During the 15-minute phone screen, I was asked: my reasons for applying; specific questions about my most recent positions; my experience with research, strategic planning, and admin support; how I would work with staff who have multiple conflicting deadlines; my leadership and communication style.

They contacted me the next day, informing me that they would not be moving forward with a formal interview, which likely would've been a panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is your experience with strategic planning? Considering we're a growing organization, what steps would you take to implement this plan? What is your experience with short and long-term goals?   Answer Question
    • Describe in detail how you carried out XYZ job duties for this position.   Answer Question

Student Affairs Coordinator Interview

Interview was fairly generic - behavioral.

1. Initial phone screening,
    2. One-on-one meeting
    3. panel interview

I was referred to the position by someone in my old department (also at Cal), so we didn't undergo the normal hiring process.

Overall, Cal's hiring is antiquated -> they are required to open up any full-time opportunities publicly and they need to be posted for a minimum of two weeks prior to review. Hiring is SLOW!

Interview Questions
    • They literally followed the behavioral interview template - I was prepared   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Fairly standard. Phone interview, scheduled interview with panel, one on one with hiring manager. Then references and background check.

Interview Questions
    Yes - but there was not much room for movement.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Applied through their portal. It took them couple of weeks to get in touch. The job, I would say, depends on the department you hired in and the project you get hired for. Interview is a round of technical review, followed by an HR. The technical interview follows a standard questionnaire format. Each question would need you to dig out an answer based on your experience. There a few direct technology related questions as well.

Lead Accountant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Phone interview was about a half hour long and the interviewer asked me to go over my resume that was submitted then asked if i had any questions of her. Thankfully i have my resume memorized so this wasn't an issue, but it did make me feel as though the interviewer did not review it prior to the phone call.

Interview Questions
    • I have experienced the "what are your weaknesses" questions before but never in a phone interview. This caught me by surprise.   Answer Question

Front-End Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in December 2013.

The process consisted of a traditional in-person interview at the CET's headquarters (located at the 11th floor of the Chase Bank building outside the Berkeley BART station). Since I interviewed for the Front End, I was mainly asked design questions about how I'd improve certain features of their layouts, followed by a slightly unexpected more technical question about text formatting. Before making their decision, they followed up by making me code up a static page about showcasing a company, which also wasn't that bad. Overall the process took less than 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • How would you implement a "see more" functionality in Javascript if all you're given is a long string from the backend?   View Answer