University of California Berkeley

Relevance Date Difficulty

Instructor Interview

Instructor
Berkeley, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in February 2013.

Interview Details – Relatively smooth process. I directly asked for a TA position from the instructor prior to my first summer TA'ing. I TA'ed for the class for three years. I was then offered the co-instructor position the following year after continued strong display of effort.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Graduate Student Researcher
Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in February 2012.

Interview Details – I emailed with my previous teaching experience. Got accepted

Interview Question – You have to ask the professor every day.   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Program Assistant
Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online for this newly created position in early November 2013, but was not contacted for a phone screen until early February 2014.

During the 15-minute phone screen, I was asked: my reasons for applying; specific questions about my most recent positions; my experience with research, strategic planning, and admin support; how I would work with staff who have multiple conflicting deadlines; my leadership and communication style.

They contacted me the next day, informing me that they would not be moving forward with a formal interview, which likely would've been a panel interview.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with strategic planning? Considering we're a growing organization, what steps would you take to implement this plan? What is your experience with short and long-term goals?   Answer Question
  • Describe in detail how you carried out XYZ job duties for this position.   Answer Question

Marketing Assistant Interview

Marketing Assistant
UC Berkeley, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in November 2011.

Interview Details – Applied in person and got hired on spot.

Interview Question – General questions such as: why do you want to work in marketing?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Human Resources Student Assistant Interview

Human Resources Student Assistant

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview Details – Recruited through workstudy website

Interview Question – None - simply reviewed my resume and asked questions about it   Answer Question

Program Manager, Alumni and Student Relations Interview

Program Manager, Alumni and Student Relations
Berkeley, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview Details – This was an entry level position and therefore the questions focused on my experience. My most applicable experience was my volunteer experience, so I expanded on how that would translate to the job and my love of connecting people.

Interview Question – What do you think is the future of college reunions?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered a salary and I was able to easily raise it by $2K just be asking on the phone.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Postdoctoral Researcher
Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview Details – I applied after seeing an ad on NatureJobs and was contacted about a week later to come in and give a presentation. The presentation and subsequent interviews lasted about 6 hours, although this process differs dramatically from lab to lab. I chatted with the PI after interviewing with everyone in the lab and she offered me a position right away. In my case, this was a very easy process.

Interview Question – No hard or unexpected questions came up.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The postdoc pay scale is based on NIH guidelines.

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Postdoctoral Scholar
Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in April 2010.

Interview Details – I had one phone interview and was then invited for a 2-day on-campus interview where I was asked to provide a 40-50 minute presentation on my research. The interview included one-on-one meeting time with my prospective boss as well as casual time interacting with prospective lab mates. Overall, the interview was intense but relatively informal.

Interview Question – I did not receive any formal interview questions.   Answer Question

Student Affairs Coordinator Interview

Student Affairs Coordinator

Interviewed at University of California Berkeley

Interview Details – Interview was fairly generic - behavioral.

1. Initial phone screening,
2. One-on-one meeting
3. panel interview

I was referred to the position by someone in my old department (also at Cal), so we didn't undergo the normal hiring process.

Overall, Cal's hiring is antiquated -> they are required to open up any full-time opportunities publicly and they need to be posted for a minimum of two weeks prior to review. Hiring is SLOW!

Interview Question – They literally followed the behavioral interview template - I was prepared   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Development Technician V Interview

Development Technician V
Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in September 2010.

Interview Details – Found this job on Craigslist and responded by sending resume by email. Immediately booked for an interview the following week where I showed up with portfolios, drawings, and samples of my work. There was a round table of the Dept. head, facilities/operations manager and the representative superintendent from the machine shop I would be working out of. Each interviewer had specific concerns which I had to respond to often at the same time. Having my physical examples on the table, I was able to occupy each person by pointing to specific visual examples of experiences and juggle the interview. At a certain level I was controlling the interview with interesting stories of work experiences.

After about 45 minutes I was told they would get back to me, nice to meet you etc.. The next day I was contacted for a second interview and reported to the Machine Shop and met the Engineering Superintendent who started to tour me around. I had questions about procedures, techniques, protocols, materials, and such that were answered with the additional knowing look from someone who can tell you know what you are doing by the questions one asks. When I got home the job offer was waiting for me on the computer. A formal offer was sent vie e-mail the next day and with my acceptance it was a done deal.

Interview Question – Your work looks excellent, clean, even beautiful; but are you going to be able to really get your hands dirty when I need you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered me more than the posting and I accepted, no negotiations.