University of California Berkeley Interview Questions

Updated Aug 4, 2015

2.5

Postdoctoral Employee Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

After contacting directly with PI, I was asked several questions about the research projects in the previous institute (through email). About ~2 weeks after interview, I was invited to a seminar with a small group. An offer was given after the seminar.

Negotiation

Not much room for negotiation.

CSS RA III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Phone and Skype interviews, I applied online and the first phone call was general and brief. Basically going over my resume and interest in the job. Second interview was a group Skype interview with several specific job related questions and hypothetical senerios. The overall process took about a month which seems standard for universities.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a professor that is trying to spend grant money on something that is not allowed?   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Applied to an online job posting. Got a call for a phone interview approx. 2 weeks later. Phone interview was with two people who worked in department. It was a 30 minute interview and they asked me several questions about my past experience and how I would handle situations that came up. If you are well prepared it should be smooth.

Interview Questions

• What is the greatest challenge facing the UC Berkeley community?   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

once you get admitted to phD program, then you go talk to professors and find phD project that interests you most. After that, you go to the payroll office to finish the paper work.

Interview Questions

• you has to get very high GPA from prestigious undergrad programs, some research/job experience is a plus   Answer Question

Negotiation

it's a phD program, there's no negotiation.

Student Assistant Interview

Application

Interview

Very pleasant experience, applied online, got call for interview one week later. Met with HR and got offer 1 week later. h. h. h .h. h . h . h. h . h. h . h . h . . h

Assistant Director Interview

Interview

Human Resources rep meets with department and hiring manager for an intake process meeting. Advertised on in house and various well known job sites, recruiter sourced his/her files of relevant candidates, a hiring committee screened for "yes, no, and maybe" candidates, then had panel interviews with 5 finalists, then chose 2 most likely to get hired hiring manager interviewed both and choose candidate.

Interview Questions

• What was your most difficult challenge and how did you resolve it?   1 Answer

Panelists' attitude.

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Manchester, NH) in May 2014.

Interview

They were pretty casual, mainly questions about relevant work experience. Sometimes they ask for references. Works differently for different departments. Need to go prepared to convince them why you are fit for the role

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do this job?   1 Answer

Visiting Scholar Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

flew to california for a meeting, just went trough my cv together with my future advisor. Showed him some previous work I had done in the field. All very informal and easy.

Temporary Senior Custodian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

I was interviewed over the phone, as I had previously worked there, and on-site interviews are only given to new employees. They asked me to talk about my past relevant work experience, then about 4 to 8 questions about janitorial work. I was informed that I would be contacted by email for further information.

Caller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

I sent in a resume and cover letter online. The manager immediately replied and said he would be interested in scheduling a phone interview. The interview was brief, easy and fun. I believe the manager wanted to make sure I was sociable on the phone. Afterward, a similar 1:1 live interview. I later heard back that I could come to a training on "getting in the door" and other sales techniques (paid to attend training). Once the training ended, I was brought on as a caller.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation where someone wanted to give to Cal, but simply "did not have the money"?   Answer Question