University of California Berkeley Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

2.5

Front-End Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

The process consisted of a traditional in-person interview at the CET's headquarters (located at the 11th floor of the Chase Bank building outside the Berkeley BART station). Since I interviewed for the Front End, I was mainly asked design questions about how I'd improve certain features of their layouts, followed by a slightly unexpected more technical question about text formatting. Before making their decision, they followed up by making me code up a static page about showcasing a company, which also wasn't that bad. Overall the process took less than 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• How would you implement a "see more" functionality in Javascript if all you're given is a long string from the backend?   1 Answer

MFE Applicant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of California Berkeley (San Francisco, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

After applying, they keep on contact and are very quick to respond to any queries. About 4 weeks after applying I got invited to interview. It was a skype interview with a past student who immediately sets you at ease. Started with some standard for questions like why finance as opposed to background, asked 1 or 2 things about the resume and then straight into 2 brain teasers. One was bizarre with tigers and sheep on an island, other was a probability one. Then moved onto some portfolio management questions and stats questions. Next was black scholes, more concentrating on intuition, and then time to ask questions and a casual chat. Overall pleasant and professional.

Interview Questions

• One of the Black Scholes questions that came up was about the risk neutral pricing measure which isn't impossible but, if you aren't fresh on it, was difficult to convey verbally off the cuff and unclear how much theory to go into or intuition.   Answer Question

Administrative Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied online and then interviewed a few weeks later. I was called in and the interview was entirely behavioral. No difficult questions. Everyone was very friendly and I enjoyed the interview.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest strength? What is your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Apply online and submit your resume and transcripts as well as TOEFL and GRE. No interview process. The application deadline is very early, and you must be aware of that. You'd better find some recommendation letters from a famous scientist or professors since that will be very helpful. There are number of fellowship opportunities in UCB.

Academic Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Involves just one interview, with both behavioral and technical questions, largely behavioral though. 2-3 interviewers, at least one of which is a current tutor.

Questions:
    - Why do you want to be a tutor?
    - Any teaching experience? If so, why do you want to continue?
    - How would you describe your teaching style?

Then there's 2 role-play sessions which involve you tutoring one of the interviewers, largely to gauge response to difficult and/or unexpected questions. After the first session you get feedback and get to incorporate it into your second "tutoring".

Done. Deadline for contacting back will be specified at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you faced trouble in your studies.

Role play: really depends on the tutor

Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Assistant Interview

Interview

I was initially referred by a friend for the position and given an interview after forwarding a resume through him to the manager. I interviewed directly with the manager rather than a hiring manager, basically reviewing my available hours and qualifications for the position. It was not until I accepted a verbal offer that I was required to fill out any paperwork to apply to the position and work with HR.

Assistant Coach Interview

Interview

Had previous relationship with staff so interview process was them recruiting me via phone.

Interview Questions

• There is a salary freeze (and you're taking a paycut to start with)   Answer Question

Negotiation

None - salary freeze at the time

Fundraiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA).

Interview

First is a phone interview where they asked some difficult questions where you had to think and respond fast.
    Second is an on-site interview with a small group of about 4-5 people. The manager gives a presentation on the company and what to expect, then interviews 1-on-1 asking some basic questions.

Interview Questions

• If you had a good conversation with one of the prospects but they refuse to donate the $2000 you asked for, how would you respond?   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation, salary is base $10.00/ hour with bonuses

Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) Interview

Interview

For my department (each one has a different process), I searched for a new GSI position each semester - and for 3 out of 4 semesters, I taught outside my department ... simply because there weren't enough jobs to go around.

Departments would post GSI positions, often through email listservs, and students would respond to the department administration. Again, each department is different ... but I don't recall interviewing with the professor I'd be working with, only the admin (HR) person.

Interview Questions

• What's your philosophy / policy around students cheating?   1 Answer

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Very straight forward. Simply just asked me about questions regarding my past experience.