University of California Berkeley

Relevance Date Difficulty

Lead Facilitator Interview

Lead Facilitator
Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in December 2012.

Interview Details – Found posting through UCB job server. Submitted an a resume and cover letter. One brief phone interview followed by one in person interview with camp director, although I know that employees who did not live in the area had just the single phone interview.

Interview Question – The interview was basically a series of hypothetical questions about potential situations.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I started at an pay low grade (4 of 4), but after two weeks I asked for a raise and was put at 2 of 4.

Fundraiser Interview

Fundraiser
UC Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview Details – First is a phone interview where they asked some difficult questions where you had to think and respond fast.
Second is an on-site interview with a small group of about 4-5 people. The manager gives a presentation on the company and what to expect, then interviews 1-on-1 asking some basic questions.

Interview Question – If you had a good conversation with one of the prospects but they refuse to donate the $2000 you asked for, how would you respond?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, salary is base $10.00/ hour with bonuses

Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) Interview

Graduate Student Instructor (GSI)

Interviewed at University of California Berkeley

Interview Details – For my department (each one has a different process), I searched for a new GSI position each semester - and for 3 out of 4 semesters, I taught outside my department ... simply because there weren't enough jobs to go around.

Departments would post GSI positions, often through email listservs, and students would respond to the department administration. Again, each department is different ... but I don't recall interviewing with the professor I'd be working with, only the admin (HR) person.

Interview Question – What's your philosophy / policy around students cheating?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Berkeley, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview Details – I was already working for the department when the project I managed came up. My boss had me in mind to run the project so it was probably the easiest hiring and interview process I've ever had. I was asked if I wanted the job, I thought about it for a few days, and decided to accept the offer.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Very Difficult Interview

Anonymous Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview Details – Fellowship competition. The research proposal is limited is one page and requires no references. It must propose new cutting edge research and resonate with a broad scientific audience. The key is communicating the idea and its importance without use of jargon and technical terms. It should also not be a direct extension of things that you have already done.

Interview Question – How do you explain your research in 3 minutes or less to someone who is not an expert.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Terms are fixed.

Gsi Interview

Gsi
Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in December 2010.

Interview Details – I was selected as a teacher for an undergraduate course after submitting typical application materials. There was no interview process, I was selected solely based upon the materials that I submitted.

Interview Question – I was hired at the last minute - definitely unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A

Student Services Advisor Interview

Student Services Advisor

I applied online and interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of interview: first with staff, second with faculty

Interview Question – questions about scheduling classes   Answer Question

Development Assistant Interview

Development Assistant

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview Details – I received a call from the hiring manager inviting me to participate in the job interview. I was interviewed by a panel of managers within the departmental group. Everyone was very professional and polite. The process ran on time and lasted about an hour.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary ranges are well defined in the University system.

Very Easy Interview

Marketing Specialist Interview

Marketing Specialist
UC Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in May 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process is with a panel of 3 to 4 people. They are very organized with a list of questions that they ask. The position required some PHP experience and a coder was present to determine my coding skills by providing some code and explaining what was missing in the code.

Interview Question – The example of code was missing quite a bit of characters and no real answer was given when asked what the purpose of the code was.   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

Junior Consultant
Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in April 2012.

Interview Details – Very cool job, you learn a lot of technical skills and learn customer service as well. The hiring process requires you to fiddle around making a Word Document identical to the one that they give you, and then they put you in an interview where you have to answer a few technical questions. Don't worry if they're too hard, you can look things up during the interview. The big thing is making sure you have good customer service and address them nicely.

Interview Question – It's been a while since I interviewed with them, but the tech questions have to usually do with Word or Excel and how to to do so-and-so with possibly formatting things like footnotes.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of California Berkeley