University of California Berkeley Postdoctoral Scholar Interview Questions

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Berkeley, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in November 2012.

Postdoc interviews are specific to the lab to which one applies, so the experience will vary. My experience was great. I was put up at the Hotel Durant, which is very nice and fits with the quirky vibe of Berkeley. I met with my prospective PI in the morning, with various lab members throughout the day, gave a 1 hour seminar on my thesis work, and then met with my prospective PI again at the end of the day. I also got free lunch and dinner with lab members at Berkeley restaurants, which was a great opportunity to talk shop without the PI there. Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions
  • I was asked several in depth questions about my thesis work, but that's what I was expecting, so it didn't surprise me much.   Answer Question
There wasn't much to negotiate; my postdoc started after I was done finishing up a paper in my thesis lab, and the salary is set by NIH standards.

Other Interview Reviews for University of California Berkeley

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  UC Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in December 2011.

I submitted a 3 page proposal and 4 reference letters by request of the Professor who I was interested to work with. Later, I had a phone interview with him.

Interview Questions
    • Mathematical abilities, mass transport work, past experiences, use of matlab.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate the offer, I wanted to include UC Berkeley on my CV.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in April 2010.

I had one phone interview and was then invited for a 2-day on-campus interview where I was asked to provide a 40-50 minute presentation on my research. The interview included one-on-one meeting time with my prospective boss as well as casual time interacting with prospective lab mates. Overall, the interview was intense but relatively informal.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  UC Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in February 2010.

I took the chance to visit my postdoctoral supervisor while I was on holiday in San Francisco. I contacted the person beforehand via email, but never got any response. But a friend of mine told me that I should take the chance to literally knock on the door of the professor I wanted to work with and this actually worked very well. After I introduced myself we had a short conversation and at the end he offered me a postdoctoral position subject to the condition that he could raise some money for me. 6 weeks later he officially offered me the job and I accepted it.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was not like questions and answers. It was a scientific conversation.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

graduated and stay in the same place as a postdoctoral scholar for another year. everything was smooth except that the paper works came one month late than it should. they say they will give me salary for that lost month though. still waiting....

Interview Questions
    • "it turns out that we have a income cap....."
       "....."
        Answer Question

Worked for University of California Berkeley? Contribute to the Community!