University of California Berkeley Postdoctoral Scholar Interview Questions

Updated Jul 13, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Got invited for an interview after an informal inquiry for a position. The administrative assistant arrange travels and accommodation. She received me on the they of the interview and confirmend the interview procedure. I gave a presentation on previous work and proposed project / Q&A. Panel interview with 3 group members, followed by 1-1 with PI, followed by lab tour.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for University of California Berkeley

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Talked to the Professor I applied for later during a conference and submitted resume and CV including references later. Visited after conference in the same area and interviewed. Professor showed not up for first appointment. Interview was mainly about scientific topics, no other stuff was considered. Funding was from my scholarship, not the Professors ones.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Postdoc interviews are specific to the lab to which one applies, so the experience will vary. My experience was great. I was put up at the Hotel Durant, which is very nice and fits with the quirky vibe of Berkeley. I met with my prospective PI in the morning, with various lab members throughout the day, gave a 1 hour seminar on my thesis work, and then met with my prospective PI again at the end of the day. I also got free lunch and dinner with lab members at Berkeley restaurants, which was a great opportunity to talk shop without the PI there. Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• I was asked several in depth questions about my thesis work, but that's what I was expecting, so it didn't surprise me much.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't much to negotiate; my postdoc started after I was done finishing up a paper in my thesis lab, and the salary is set by NIH standards.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

I submitted a 3 page proposal and 4 reference letters by request of the Professor who I was interested to work with. Later, I had a phone interview with him.

Interview Questions

• Mathematical abilities, mass transport work, past experiences, use of matlab.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate the offer, I wanted to include UC Berkeley on my CV.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

Like most interviews for postdocs, I was scheduled to give a presentation in front of the entire research group, as well as to meet individual group members, including the principal investigator, and discuss further in details on how my expertise may be applicable to each project. There was also phone screen before the interview and follow-up calls afterwards.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

I had one phone interview and was then invited for a 2-day on-campus interview where I was asked to provide a 40-50 minute presentation on my research. The interview included one-on-one meeting time with my prospective boss as well as casual time interacting with prospective lab mates. Overall, the interview was intense but relatively informal.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

I took the chance to visit my postdoctoral supervisor while I was on holiday in San Francisco. I contacted the person beforehand via email, but never got any response. But a friend of mine told me that I should take the chance to literally knock on the door of the professor I wanted to work with and this actually worked very well. After I introduced myself we had a short conversation and at the end he offered me a postdoctoral position subject to the condition that he could raise some money for me. 6 weeks later he officially offered me the job and I accepted it.

Interview Questions

• The interview was not like questions and answers. It was a scientific conversation.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Interview

graduated and stay in the same place as a postdoctoral scholar for another year. everything was smooth except that the paper works came one month late than it should. they say they will give me salary for that lost month though. still waiting....