University of California Berkeley Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jun 17, 2015

2.5

Security Monitor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Quick interview--they wanted to make sure you were responsible and quick to react to unforseen problems. Asked situational questions and realistic scenarios that you had to decide how to react. You interview with the person who will be your Unit Coordinator--mostly she wanted to see if I would fit in with her team and get along with the rest of the group, since she said there was a lot of email interaction regarding shifts and changing shifts at the last minute. She asked if my plans usually change frequently or if I was usually able to schedule my calendar a month in advance (which was required for this job since we schedule our shifts in month-long blocks).

Interview Questions

• A student is trying to sneak a friend in without showing the friend's ID. What do you do?   1 Answer

Associate Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

1 hour convention interview followed by 1 day campus interview. Met with search committee all at once at convention interview. Met with various faculty members individually at campus interview. Gave research presentation of about 45 minutes, followed by 30 minute Q&A. Went to lunch with a group of graduate students. Went to dinner with a few faculty members, some of whom were on the search committee, others not.

Principal Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Contacted by an HR person a week after submitting my application online. Set up a six-person panel interview on Wednesday with 4 designers, a developer, and a manager. All very nice and had prepared questions in advance. Got contacted Friday and asked to come in for another round of interviews now with three people: web director, executive director of marketing and external relations, and an editorial director. Also very nice people who seemed genuinely invested in their work. Was told by the executive director that they are looking to fill the position fast and will be contacting me by EOW with next steps and making an offer the following week. However, I have not heard from them by EOW or by mid next week, which was odd because they were very responsive and transparent in the process. Had to call HR to find out that I was out of the race. I was disappointed by the way they handled the situation. I thought they should have let me know either way because I already was pretty far in the process.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep up with design trends?   Answer Question
    • How would you go about designing a website that would stay visually-current in 18 months?   Answer Question

Student Fundraiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

One phone interview in which the recruiter asks a short series of questions that put you in the situation of negotiating a donation from a stubborn alumnus, dealing with rejection, or building rapport with a Cal alumnus.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase

Metrics and Reporting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

The interviewers really focuses on the role's required specific skills. They asked intelligent questions and were focused on what you can bring for the group.

The interview started on time and was roughly about an hour. 4 people interviewed me and each one asked questions in relation to what group they represented.

Interview Questions

• When asked to provide specific examples, hard to choose which scenario would best represent the question at hand.   Answer Question

Invertebrate Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Pretty chill. Just a meeting with the graduate student you will be working under. I was asked about the classes I have taken and any background I've had working with marine animals.

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Employee in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

It varies by department/unit, so experience can vary; usually a panel.
    Some panelist are better at conducting interviews than other; they must ask the same questions of all candidates, whether or not they appy to you or not. Some panels can be strict and will not let you deviate from what is asked of you. Scheduled time is critical and sometimes without flexibility even if the interview is going well. Follow-up process after the interview can be lingering, depends on the department. Often you apply for a position, you are never informed of application status. Again, it depends on the hiring department.

Librarian Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Half hour phone screen with a committee and set questions. There were no surprising questions and they reflected many of the Commission on the Future of the UC Berkeley Libraries report which had been compiled by a faculty committee the previous year. I received a request for an on site interview within a week and had the on site interview 6 weeks later. The job posting had suggested that the position would be filled by the fall, but the timing of the interview didn't support this.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with organizational change?   1 Answer

CSS RA III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Phone and Skype interviews, I applied online and the first phone call was general and brief. Basically going over my resume and interest in the job. Second interview was a group Skype interview with several specific job related questions and hypothetical senerios. The overall process took about a month which seems standard for universities.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a professor that is trying to spend grant money on something that is not allowed?   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Applied to an online job posting. Got a call for a phone interview approx. 2 weeks later. Phone interview was with two people who worked in department. It was a 30 minute interview and they asked me several questions about my past experience and how I would handle situations that came up. If you are well prepared it should be smooth.

Interview Questions

• What is the greatest challenge facing the UC Berkeley community?   Answer Question