University of California Berkeley Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jun 17, 2015

2.5

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

The phone interview went well. After that, everything went down hill. I was interviewed by a panel of 6 people. I wasn't aware that it would be a panel but, you have to be prepared for just about anything so that was fine. What I wasn't prepared for was what rude, lifeless, unengaging, less than hospitable people they were. The questions were broad and as an event planner, one always wants to drill down to the core of a detail--so when I tried to clarify the question, one of the women on the panel threw her hands up and proclaimed "perhaps I'm not making myself clear!" and shook her head. When I interviewed canditates at my last job, I went out of my way to make that person feel welcome so that I could bring out their best and hopelly get a good sense of them and their talents.. Nope! Just the opposite here. Part of me wanted to run for the hills as I knew I would never want to work with these people....ever. The professional in me knew I needed to finish the interview and then get the heck out of there. What a shame that they were the representatives of such a fine school!

Interview Questions

• The questions were unengaging and read from a piece of paper   Answer Question

ESL Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

This job was primarily the result of networking. After many email exchanges, I met with the Director and Assistant Director of the program for an hour and a half before I was hired. We discussed pedagogical styles at length.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would motivate your students in an afternoon class.   1 Answer
    • Tell us about your favorite activity to integrate all four subjects.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in September 2008.

Interview

Met with a professor to discuss whether or not I would be a good fit to join the group.

Development Technician V Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

Found this job on Craigslist and responded by sending resume by email. Immediately booked for an interview the following week where I showed up with portfolios, drawings, and samples of my work. There was a round table of the Dept. head, facilities/operations manager and the representative superintendent from the machine shop I would be working out of. Each interviewer had specific concerns which I had to respond to often at the same time. Having my physical examples on the table, I was able to occupy each person by pointing to specific visual examples of experiences and juggle the interview. At a certain level I was controlling the interview with interesting stories of work experiences.

After about 45 minutes I was told they would get back to me, nice to meet you etc.. The next day I was contacted for a second interview and reported to the Machine Shop and met the Engineering Superintendent who started to tour me around. I had questions about procedures, techniques, protocols, materials, and such that were answered with the additional knowing look from someone who can tell you know what you are doing by the questions one asks. When I got home the job offer was waiting for me on the computer. A formal offer was sent vie e-mail the next day and with my acceptance it was a done deal.

Interview Questions

• Your work looks excellent, clean, even beautiful; but are you going to be able to really get your hands dirty when I need you?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered me more than the posting and I accepted, no negotiations.

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

I had one phone interview and was then invited for a 2-day on-campus interview where I was asked to provide a 40-50 minute presentation on my research. The interview included one-on-one meeting time with my prospective boss as well as casual time interacting with prospective lab mates. Overall, the interview was intense but relatively informal.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied online for this newly created position in early November 2013, but was not contacted for a phone screen until early February 2014.

During the 15-minute phone screen, I was asked: my reasons for applying; specific questions about my most recent positions; my experience with research, strategic planning, and admin support; how I would work with staff who have multiple conflicting deadlines; my leadership and communication style.

They contacted me the next day, informing me that they would not be moving forward with a formal interview, which likely would've been a panel interview.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with strategic planning? Considering we're a growing organization, what steps would you take to implement this plan? What is your experience with short and long-term goals?   Answer Question
    • Describe in detail how you carried out XYZ job duties for this position.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Apply to the school, to the department in which you want to study. Make your application as competitive as possible. In our department, you specify a few PI's who you'd want to work with, and they get a copy of your application (if you make some initial cut). Then, they will decide if they want to have you come in for an 'informal' interview. This was my experience.

Interview Questions

• What would you do to help us with this problem we're trying to solve?   Answer Question

Negotiation

"we hope you can join us"

Academic Center Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Took a couple of weeks. Applied online, followed by an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• How does student diversity affect how you would do this job?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

Interviewing there usually involved a panel of people, although in the beginning of my employment there (1980) I only had to speak to one person.

Interview Questions

• Nothing more or less difficult than the usual interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I accepted whatever was offered initially; later on my performance dictated my salary increases, and at the end my being at the top of my salary range limited my increases.

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Postdoc interviews are specific to the lab to which one applies, so the experience will vary. My experience was great. I was put up at the Hotel Durant, which is very nice and fits with the quirky vibe of Berkeley. I met with my prospective PI in the morning, with various lab members throughout the day, gave a 1 hour seminar on my thesis work, and then met with my prospective PI again at the end of the day. I also got free lunch and dinner with lab members at Berkeley restaurants, which was a great opportunity to talk shop without the PI there. Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• I was asked several in depth questions about my thesis work, but that's what I was expecting, so it didn't surprise me much.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't much to negotiate; my postdoc started after I was done finishing up a paper in my thesis lab, and the salary is set by NIH standards.