University of California Berkeley

2.5

66 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Catering and Events Coordinator-Housing and Dining Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

The phone interview went well. After that, everything went down hill. I was interviewed by a panel of 6 people. I wasn't aware that it would be a panel but, you have to be prepared for just about anything so that was fine. What I wasn't prepared for was what rude, lifeless, unengaging, less than hospitable people they were. The questions were broad and as an event planner, one always wants to drill down to the core of a detail--so when I tried to clarify the question, one of the women on the panel threw her hands up and proclaimed "perhaps I'm not making myself clear!" and shook her head. When I interviewed canditates at my last job, I went out of my way to make that person feel welcome so that I could bring out their best and hopelly get a good sense of them and their talents.. Nope! Just the opposite here. Part of me wanted to run for the hills as I knew I would never want to work with these people....ever. The professional in me knew I needed to finish the interview and then get the heck out of there. What a shame that they were the representatives of such a fine school!

Interview Questions
    • The questions were unengaging and read from a piece of paper   Answer Question

ESL Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in June 2010.

This job was primarily the result of networking. After many email exchanges, I met with the Director and Assistant Director of the program for an hour and a half before I was hired. We discussed pedagogical styles at length.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would motivate your students in an afternoon class.   View Answer
    • Tell us about your favorite activity to integrate all four subjects.   View Answer
    I was not able to negotiate.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in September 2008.

Met with a professor to discuss whether or not I would be a good fit to join the group.

Development Technician V Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in September 2010.

Found this job on Craigslist and responded by sending resume by email. Immediately booked for an interview the following week where I showed up with portfolios, drawings, and samples of my work. There was a round table of the Dept. head, facilities/operations manager and the representative superintendent from the machine shop I would be working out of. Each interviewer had specific concerns which I had to respond to often at the same time. Having my physical examples on the table, I was able to occupy each person by pointing to specific visual examples of experiences and juggle the interview. At a certain level I was controlling the interview with interesting stories of work experiences.

After about 45 minutes I was told they would get back to me, nice to meet you etc.. The next day I was contacted for a second interview and reported to the Machine Shop and met the Engineering Superintendent who started to tour me around. I had questions about procedures, techniques, protocols, materials, and such that were answered with the additional knowing look from someone who can tell you know what you are doing by the questions one asks. When I got home the job offer was waiting for me on the computer. A formal offer was sent vie e-mail the next day and with my acceptance it was a done deal.

Interview Questions
    • Your work looks excellent, clean, even beautiful; but are you going to be able to really get your hands dirty when I need you?   View Answer
    They offered me more than the posting and I accepted, no negotiations.

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in April 2010.

I had one phone interview and was then invited for a 2-day on-campus interview where I was asked to provide a 40-50 minute presentation on my research. The interview included one-on-one meeting time with my prospective boss as well as casual time interacting with prospective lab mates. Overall, the interview was intense but relatively informal.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in February 2014.

Applied online for this newly created position in early November 2013, but was not contacted for a phone screen until early February 2014.

During the 15-minute phone screen, I was asked: my reasons for applying; specific questions about my most recent positions; my experience with research, strategic planning, and admin support; how I would work with staff who have multiple conflicting deadlines; my leadership and communication style.

They contacted me the next day, informing me that they would not be moving forward with a formal interview, which likely would've been a panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is your experience with strategic planning? Considering we're a growing organization, what steps would you take to implement this plan? What is your experience with short and long-term goals?   Answer Question
    • Describe in detail how you carried out XYZ job duties for this position.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in March 2012.

Apply to the school, to the department in which you want to study. Make your application as competitive as possible. In our department, you specify a few PI's who you'd want to work with, and they get a copy of your application (if you make some initial cut). Then, they will decide if they want to have you come in for an 'informal' interview. This was my experience.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to help us with this problem we're trying to solve?   Answer Question
    "we hope you can join us"

Academic Center Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in April 2013.

Took a couple of weeks. Applied online, followed by an in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • How does student diversity affect how you would do this job?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in January 2013.

They just asked me about hours, how familiar I was with the research (like classes I took that related). They asked about my workload and how much I was involved in campus because that could have conflicting time interests. It went alright. They also explained what I would be doing.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't really feel like there was a ton, it was mostly the hours portion as I had class during that time.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in April 2010.

Interviewing there usually involved a panel of people, although in the beginning of my employment there (1980) I only had to speak to one person.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing more or less difficult than the usual interview questions.   Answer Question
    I accepted whatever was offered initially; later on my performance dictated my salary increases, and at the end my being at the top of my salary range limited my increases.