University of California Berkeley Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Apr 15, 2015

2.5

Facilities (Painter) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

Simple interview, mostly focused on background. It was more of an excuse to hand me paperwork than a formal interview. I never even handed them a resume. I wasn't worried about getting an offer or anything.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience painting? Do you have any experience varnishing?   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Employee in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

It varies by department/unit, so experience can vary; usually a panel.
    Some panelist are better at conducting interviews than other; they must ask the same questions of all candidates, whether or not they appy to you or not. Some panels can be strict and will not let you deviate from what is asked of you. Scheduled time is critical and sometimes without flexibility even if the interview is going well. Follow-up process after the interview can be lingering, depends on the department. Often you apply for a position, you are never informed of application status. Again, it depends on the hiring department.

Invertebrate Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Pretty chill. Just a meeting with the graduate student you will be working under. I was asked about the classes I have taken and any background I've had working with marine animals.

Security Monitor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Quick interview--they wanted to make sure you were responsible and quick to react to unforseen problems. Asked situational questions and realistic scenarios that you had to decide how to react. You interview with the person who will be your Unit Coordinator--mostly she wanted to see if I would fit in with her team and get along with the rest of the group, since she said there was a lot of email interaction regarding shifts and changing shifts at the last minute. She asked if my plans usually change frequently or if I was usually able to schedule my calendar a month in advance (which was required for this job since we schedule our shifts in month-long blocks).

Interview Questions

• A student is trying to sneak a friend in without showing the friend's ID. What do you do?   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

Very relaxed and friendly. I first got referred to the position through a friend who was leaving the job. The interview entailed typical behavioral questions. It seemed that having a referral, pleasant and enthusiastic personality, and availability of approximately 10 hours/week (as an undergrad student) is enough to get hired. I never had experience in this field of work (pedestrian, bicycle, and vehicle safety and traffic).

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you had to make a judgment call? For example, during data collection, it was unclear how to categorize the data, and I wasn't in the office.   Answer Question

Administrative Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied online and then interviewed a few weeks later. I was called in and the interview was entirely behavioral. No difficult questions. Everyone was very friendly and I enjoyed the interview.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest strength? What is your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Principal Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Contacted by an HR person a week after submitting my application online. Set up a six-person panel interview on Wednesday with 4 designers, a developer, and a manager. All very nice and had prepared questions in advance. Got contacted Friday and asked to come in for another round of interviews now with three people: web director, executive director of marketing and external relations, and an editorial director. Also very nice people who seemed genuinely invested in their work. Was told by the executive director that they are looking to fill the position fast and will be contacting me by EOW with next steps and making an offer the following week. However, I have not heard from them by EOW or by mid next week, which was odd because they were very responsive and transparent in the process. Had to call HR to find out that I was out of the race. I was disappointed by the way they handled the situation. I thought they should have let me know either way because I already was pretty far in the process.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep up with design trends?   Answer Question
    • How would you go about designing a website that would stay visually-current in 18 months?   Answer Question

Hearst Gym Service Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

The interview and hiring process were really simple. I applied at the end of August and then did not get called back for an interview until mid October. It all really depends on when they need more staff, which is usually at the end of every semester, since people are graduating or leaving for summer. The interview was very relaxed. Mainly they just want to know if you have customer service experience.

Interview Questions

• I had experience with working with older people (late 50's and on) they were super interested in that since a lot of the people who frequent Hearst Gym Facilities are older members and are VERY particular about how they want things at the gym run.   1 Answer

Metrics and Reporting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

The interviewers really focuses on the role's required specific skills. They asked intelligent questions and were focused on what you can bring for the group.

The interview started on time and was roughly about an hour. 4 people interviewed me and each one asked questions in relation to what group they represented.

Interview Questions

• When asked to provide specific examples, hard to choose which scenario would best represent the question at hand.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Applied to an online job posting. Got a call for a phone interview approx. 2 weeks later. Phone interview was with two people who worked in department. It was a 30 minute interview and they asked me several questions about my past experience and how I would handle situations that came up. If you are well prepared it should be smooth.

Interview Questions

• What is the greatest challenge facing the UC Berkeley community?   Answer Question