University of California Berkeley Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jul 2, 2015

2.5

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

It was an on site interview. It last for one entire day.
    I got to talk to several group members and gave a presentation to the group.
    Got offer two days after my interview.

Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

I was given a phone interview first and then I was later scheduled for an in-person interview. I was later interviewed by a group of individuals and they each asked me questions pertaining to how my job intersected with their department. Once the interview was complete, I was told when they would be making a decisions, and I was later contacted by phone with a job offer.

Interview Questions

• How could I contribute to the current projects.   1 Answer

Student Fundraiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

One phone interview in which the recruiter asks a short series of questions that put you in the situation of negotiating a donation from a stubborn alumnus, dealing with rejection, or building rapport with a Cal alumnus.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase

Associate Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

1 hour convention interview followed by 1 day campus interview. Met with search committee all at once at convention interview. Met with various faculty members individually at campus interview. Gave research presentation of about 45 minutes, followed by 30 minute Q&A. Went to lunch with a group of graduate students. Went to dinner with a few faculty members, some of whom were on the search committee, others not.

Temporary Senior Custodian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

I was interviewed over the phone, as I had previously worked there, and on-site interviews are only given to new employees. They asked me to talk about my past relevant work experience, then about 4 to 8 questions about janitorial work. I was informed that I would be contacted by email for further information.

Librarian Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Half hour phone screen with a committee and set questions. There were no surprising questions and they reflected many of the Commission on the Future of the UC Berkeley Libraries report which had been compiled by a faculty committee the previous year. I received a request for an on site interview within a week and had the on site interview 6 weeks later. The job posting had suggested that the position would be filled by the fall, but the timing of the interview didn't support this.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with organizational change?   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

Like most interviews for postdocs, I was scheduled to give a presentation in front of the entire research group, as well as to meet individual group members, including the principal investigator, and discuss further in details on how my expertise may be applicable to each project. There was also phone screen before the interview and follow-up calls afterwards.

CSS RA III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Phone and Skype interviews, I applied online and the first phone call was general and brief. Basically going over my resume and interest in the job. Second interview was a group Skype interview with several specific job related questions and hypothetical senerios. The overall process took about a month which seems standard for universities.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a professor that is trying to spend grant money on something that is not allowed?   1 Answer

Facilities (Painter) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

Simple interview, mostly focused on background. It was more of an excuse to hand me paperwork than a formal interview. I never even handed them a resume. I wasn't worried about getting an offer or anything.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience painting? Do you have any experience varnishing?   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Employee in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

It varies by department/unit, so experience can vary; usually a panel.
    Some panelist are better at conducting interviews than other; they must ask the same questions of all candidates, whether or not they appy to you or not. Some panels can be strict and will not let you deviate from what is asked of you. Scheduled time is critical and sometimes without flexibility even if the interview is going well. Follow-up process after the interview can be lingering, depends on the department. Often you apply for a position, you are never informed of application status. Again, it depends on the hiring department.