University of California Berkeley Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

2.5

66 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Apply online and submit your resume and transcripts as well as TOEFL and GRE. No interview process. The application deadline is very early, and you must be aware of that. You'd better find some recommendation letters from a famous scientist or professors since that will be very helpful. There are number of fellowship opportunities in UCB.

Fundraiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

First is a phone interview where they asked some difficult questions where you had to think and respond fast.
    Second is an on-site interview with a small group of about 4-5 people. The manager gives a presentation on the company and what to expect, then interviews 1-on-1 asking some basic questions.

Interview Questions
    • If you had a good conversation with one of the prospects but they refuse to donate the $2000 you asked for, how would you respond?   Answer Question
    no negotiation, salary is base $10.00/ hour with bonuses

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in September 2013.

Very straight forward. Simply just asked me about questions regarding my past experience.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

I was already working for the department when the project I managed came up. My boss had me in mind to run the project so it was probably the easiest hiring and interview process I've ever had. I was asked if I wanted the job, I thought about it for a few days, and decided to accept the offer.

No negotiation.

Academic Center Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in April 2013.

Took a couple of weeks. Applied online, followed by an in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • How does student diversity affect how you would do this job?   Answer Question

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in February 2013.

Relatively smooth process. I directly asked for a TA position from the instructor prior to my first summer TA'ing. I TA'ed for the class for three years. I was then offered the co-instructor position the following year after continued strong display of effort.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in January 2013.

They just asked me about hours, how familiar I was with the research (like classes I took that related). They asked about my workload and how much I was involved in campus because that could have conflicting time interests. It went alright. They also explained what I would be doing.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't really feel like there was a ton, it was mostly the hours portion as I had class during that time.   Answer Question

Lead Facilitator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in December 2012.

Found posting through UCB job server. Submitted an a resume and cover letter. One brief phone interview followed by one in person interview with camp director, although I know that employees who did not live in the area had just the single phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was basically a series of hypothetical questions about potential situations.   View Answer
    I started at an pay low grade (4 of 4), but after two weeks I asked for a raise and was put at 2 of 4.

Catering and Events Coordinator-Housing and Dining Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

The phone interview went well. After that, everything went down hill. I was interviewed by a panel of 6 people. I wasn't aware that it would be a panel but, you have to be prepared for just about anything so that was fine. What I wasn't prepared for was what rude, lifeless, unengaging, less than hospitable people they were. The questions were broad and as an event planner, one always wants to drill down to the core of a detail--so when I tried to clarify the question, one of the women on the panel threw her hands up and proclaimed "perhaps I'm not making myself clear!" and shook her head. When I interviewed canditates at my last job, I went out of my way to make that person feel welcome so that I could bring out their best and hopelly get a good sense of them and their talents.. Nope! Just the opposite here. Part of me wanted to run for the hills as I knew I would never want to work with these people....ever. The professional in me knew I needed to finish the interview and then get the heck out of there. What a shame that they were the representatives of such a fine school!

Interview Questions
    • The questions were unengaging and read from a piece of paper   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in November 2012.

Postdoc interviews are specific to the lab to which one applies, so the experience will vary. My experience was great. I was put up at the Hotel Durant, which is very nice and fits with the quirky vibe of Berkeley. I met with my prospective PI in the morning, with various lab members throughout the day, gave a 1 hour seminar on my thesis work, and then met with my prospective PI again at the end of the day. I also got free lunch and dinner with lab members at Berkeley restaurants, which was a great opportunity to talk shop without the PI there. Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked several in depth questions about my thesis work, but that's what I was expecting, so it didn't surprise me much.   Answer Question
    There wasn't much to negotiate; my postdoc started after I was done finishing up a paper in my thesis lab, and the salary is set by NIH standards.