University of California Berkeley Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jun 9, 2014

2.5

65 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in November 2012.

Postdoc interviews are specific to the lab to which one applies, so the experience will vary. My experience was great. I was put up at the Hotel Durant, which is very nice and fits with the quirky vibe of Berkeley. I met with my prospective PI in the morning, with various lab members throughout the day, gave a 1 hour seminar on my thesis work, and then met with my prospective PI again at the end of the day. I also got free lunch and dinner with lab members at Berkeley restaurants, which was a great opportunity to talk shop without the PI there. Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked several in depth questions about my thesis work, but that's what I was expecting, so it didn't surprise me much.   Answer Question
    There wasn't much to negotiate; my postdoc started after I was done finishing up a paper in my thesis lab, and the salary is set by NIH standards.

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in February 2013.

Relatively smooth process. I directly asked for a TA position from the instructor prior to my first summer TA'ing. I TA'ed for the class for three years. I was then offered the co-instructor position the following year after continued strong display of effort.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in February 2012.

I emailed with my previous teaching experience. Got accepted

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in February 2014.

Applied online for this newly created position in early November 2013, but was not contacted for a phone screen until early February 2014.

During the 15-minute phone screen, I was asked: my reasons for applying; specific questions about my most recent positions; my experience with research, strategic planning, and admin support; how I would work with staff who have multiple conflicting deadlines; my leadership and communication style.

They contacted me the next day, informing me that they would not be moving forward with a formal interview, which likely would've been a panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is your experience with strategic planning? Considering we're a growing organization, what steps would you take to implement this plan? What is your experience with short and long-term goals?   Answer Question
    • Describe in detail how you carried out XYZ job duties for this position.   Answer Question

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  UC Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in November 2011.

Applied in person and got hired on spot.

Interview Questions
    • General questions such as: why do you want to work in marketing?   Answer Question
    None

Program Manager, Alumni and Student Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

This was an entry level position and therefore the questions focused on my experience. My most applicable experience was my volunteer experience, so I expanded on how that would translate to the job and my love of connecting people.

Interview Questions
    They offered a salary and I was able to easily raise it by $2K just be asking on the phone.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

I applied after seeing an ad on NatureJobs and was contacted about a week later to come in and give a presentation. The presentation and subsequent interviews lasted about 6 hours, although this process differs dramatically from lab to lab. I chatted with the PI after interviewing with everyone in the lab and she offered me a position right away. In my case, this was a very easy process.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. The postdoc pay scale is based on NIH guidelines.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in April 2010.

I had one phone interview and was then invited for a 2-day on-campus interview where I was asked to provide a 40-50 minute presentation on my research. The interview included one-on-one meeting time with my prospective boss as well as casual time interacting with prospective lab mates. Overall, the interview was intense but relatively informal.

Development Technician V Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in September 2010.

Found this job on Craigslist and responded by sending resume by email. Immediately booked for an interview the following week where I showed up with portfolios, drawings, and samples of my work. There was a round table of the Dept. head, facilities/operations manager and the representative superintendent from the machine shop I would be working out of. Each interviewer had specific concerns which I had to respond to often at the same time. Having my physical examples on the table, I was able to occupy each person by pointing to specific visual examples of experiences and juggle the interview. At a certain level I was controlling the interview with interesting stories of work experiences.

After about 45 minutes I was told they would get back to me, nice to meet you etc.. The next day I was contacted for a second interview and reported to the Machine Shop and met the Engineering Superintendent who started to tour me around. I had questions about procedures, techniques, protocols, materials, and such that were answered with the additional knowing look from someone who can tell you know what you are doing by the questions one asks. When I got home the job offer was waiting for me on the computer. A formal offer was sent vie e-mail the next day and with my acceptance it was a done deal.

Interview Questions
    • Your work looks excellent, clean, even beautiful; but are you going to be able to really get your hands dirty when I need you?   View Answer
    They offered me more than the posting and I accepted, no negotiations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  UC Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in December 2011.

I submitted a 3 page proposal and 4 reference letters by request of the Professor who I was interested to work with. Later, I had a phone interview with him.

Interview Questions
    • Mathematical abilities, mass transport work, past experiences, use of matlab.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate the offer, I wanted to include UC Berkeley on my CV.