University of California Berkeley
www.berkeley.edu Berkeley, CA 500 to 999 Employees

University of California Berkeley Interview Questions & Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jun 9, 2014

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
65 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Human Resources Generalist
Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview Details – Fairly standard. Phone interview, scheduled interview with panel, one on one with hiring manager. Then references and background check.

Interview Question – How my career goals tied to the university mission   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes - but there was not much room for movement.

Fitness Staff Interview

Fitness Staff
Berkeley, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in January 2011.

Interview Details – It is good to know someone who is currently working and then you can mention them in the interview with the manager. It is a big plus, because then the manager will ask about you to them. They ask your past experience with sports and your passion for sports. Then some general abilities, then you are done.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 10$/hr

MFE Applicant Interview

MFE Applicant
San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in November 2013.

Interview Details – After applying, they keep on contact and are very quick to respond to any queries. About 4 weeks after applying I got invited to interview. It was a skype interview with a past student who immediately sets you at ease. Started with some standard for questions like why finance as opposed to background, asked 1 or 2 things about the resume and then straight into 2 brain teasers. One was bizarre with tigers and sheep on an island, other was a probability one. Then moved onto some portfolio management questions and stats questions. Next was black scholes, more concentrating on intuition, and then time to ask questions and a casual chat. Overall pleasant and professional.

Interview Question – One of the Black Scholes questions that came up was about the risk neutral pricing measure which isn't impossible but, if you aren't fresh on it, was difficult to convey verbally off the cuff and unclear how much theory to go into or intuition.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant
Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview Details – Apply online and submit your resume and transcripts as well as TOEFL and GRE. No interview process. The application deadline is very early, and you must be aware of that. You'd better find some recommendation letters from a famous scientist or professors since that will be very helpful. There are number of fellowship opportunities in UCB.

Interview Question – No difficult questions since there is no interview.   Answer Question

Lead Facilitator Interview

Lead Facilitator
Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in December 2012.

Interview Details – Found posting through UCB job server. Submitted an a resume and cover letter. One brief phone interview followed by one in person interview with camp director, although I know that employees who did not live in the area had just the single phone interview.

Interview Question – The interview was basically a series of hypothetical questions about potential situations.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I started at an pay low grade (4 of 4), but after two weeks I asked for a raise and was put at 2 of 4.

Fundraiser Interview

Fundraiser
UC Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview Details – First is a phone interview where they asked some difficult questions where you had to think and respond fast.
Second is an on-site interview with a small group of about 4-5 people. The manager gives a presentation on the company and what to expect, then interviews 1-on-1 asking some basic questions.

Interview Question – If you had a good conversation with one of the prospects but they refuse to donate the $2000 you asked for, how would you respond?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, salary is base $10.00/ hour with bonuses

Very Easy Interview

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Berkeley, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview Details – I was already working for the department when the project I managed came up. My boss had me in mind to run the project so it was probably the easiest hiring and interview process I've ever had. I was asked if I wanted the job, I thought about it for a few days, and decided to accept the offer.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Gsi Interview

Gsi
Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in December 2010.

Interview Details – I was selected as a teacher for an undergraduate course after submitting typical application materials. There was no interview process, I was selected solely based upon the materials that I submitted.

Interview Question – I was hired at the last minute - definitely unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A

Very Easy Interview

Marketing Specialist Interview

Marketing Specialist
UC Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in May 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process is with a panel of 3 to 4 people. They are very organized with a list of questions that they ask. The position required some PHP experience and a coder was present to determine my coding skills by providing some code and explaining what was missing in the code.

Interview Question – The example of code was missing quite a bit of characters and no real answer was given when asked what the purpose of the code was.   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

Junior Consultant
Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in April 2012.

Interview Details – Very cool job, you learn a lot of technical skills and learn customer service as well. The hiring process requires you to fiddle around making a Word Document identical to the one that they give you, and then they put you in an interview where you have to answer a few technical questions. Don't worry if they're too hard, you can look things up during the interview. The big thing is making sure you have good customer service and address them nicely.

Interview Question – It's been a while since I interviewed with them, but the tech questions have to usually do with Word or Excel and how to to do so-and-so with possibly formatting things like footnotes.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of California Berkeley