University of California Berkeley Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Apr 23, 2015

2.5

Embedded Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

The key to find a job is that my skills fit the job requirement and company.

Facilities (Painter) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

Simple interview, mostly focused on background. It was more of an excuse to hand me paperwork than a formal interview. I never even handed them a resume. I wasn't worried about getting an offer or anything.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience painting? Do you have any experience varnishing?   1 Answer

Junior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

Very cool job, you learn a lot of technical skills and learn customer service as well. The hiring process requires you to fiddle around making a Word Document identical to the one that they give you, and then they put you in an interview where you have to answer a few technical questions. Don't worry if they're too hard, you can look things up during the interview. The big thing is making sure you have good customer service and address them nicely.

Interview Questions

• It's been a while since I interviewed with them, but the tech questions have to usually do with Word or Excel and how to to do so-and-so with possibly formatting things like footnotes.   Answer Question

Undergraduate Research Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

I emailed the principal investigator about my interest in working in his lab.
    I was asked to read three research publications before the interview.
    The interview was not formal. I was asked questions to gauge my understanding of the papers and gauge my interest and prospect in the research focus of the lab.
    The PI and other researchers were friendly, supportive, and helpful to me and my lab partner as we transitioned into working in the lab.
    Working times are generally planned by each researcher based on his/her projects.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the significance of our lab's research?   Answer Question
    • What aspect of our area of research would you be most interested in working in?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a starting date of the upcoming summer.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Apply to the school, to the department in which you want to study. Make your application as competitive as possible. In our department, you specify a few PI's who you'd want to work with, and they get a copy of your application (if you make some initial cut). Then, they will decide if they want to have you come in for an 'informal' interview. This was my experience.

Interview Questions

• What would you do to help us with this problem we're trying to solve?   Answer Question

Negotiation

"we hope you can join us"

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Very straightforward. Didn't interview people that were not already qualified. First interview was over the phone. Second was in the office. I think the interview was mostly to see how I would fit in the office.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position and what are some changes you are hoping to bring.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

I emailed with my previous teaching experience. Got accepted

Student Library Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

There is a single interview with the supervising staff of the library. This employee is straightforward and has to do with past experiences in customer service. Some work study is often required to be eligible for the position.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had experience saying 'No' in a professional setting?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation phase for this position, either one accepts or one does not.

College and Career Center Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

I applied through UCB's online job site where I submitted a combined cover letter and resume. I was contacted by the hiring manager and scheduled an on campus interview--which I discovered was a panel interview upon arrival. I was asked a series of questions by three dept members.

Two members of the interviewing panel were too casual in the interview--they were not prepared. I discovered through the process of interviewing that the position had not been fulfilled because the duties seemed to be all-encompassing and not clearly defined. Also, the actual position was not on campus but offsite at a grant funded program hosted by UCB.

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

I submitted a 3 page proposal and 4 reference letters by request of the Professor who I was interested to work with. Later, I had a phone interview with him.

Interview Questions

• Mathematical abilities, mass transport work, past experiences, use of matlab.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate the offer, I wanted to include UC Berkeley on my CV.