University of California

14 candidate interviews

Consulting Interview

Consulting
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of California in January 2011.

Interview Details – They went through a series of questions.

Interview Question – set up a program   View Answer

Reason for Declining – pay

Farm Advisor Interview

Farm Advisor

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of California in January 2009.

Interview Details – Applied through university website. contacted within 1 week for on site interview. Traveled to location, then had a panel interview followed by the director 1:1 interview. The interview panel were my peers in UCANR, had questions regarding the research I do. I presented a science presentation, followed by on-site writing sample over my seminar topic geared to grower perspective.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would use a split plot design in your field of research.   View Answer
  • Describe the life cycle of 'such and such' organism.   View Answer
  • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No, they are strict on the compensation- at least with me. They wouldn't go up any more, because I didn't have any post graduate work experience. They at least said it was related to years of work experience. Ph.D automatically places at assistant level step III, more years work experience get higher steps. Tried to negotiate my spousal accommodation, but didn't work either. They hem hawed around on it.

Program Coordinator Interview

Program Coordinator

The process took 1 week - interviewed at University of California in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted for a phone interview with someone in human resources. I did well and they called me the next day and asked if I could interview in person within a day or two. As I lived in the opposite end of the state, it was a stretch for me to be able to do that. I wanted the job, however, so I purchased a plane ticket and took a day off work to interview in person.

The second interview consisted of a group interview with six managers and department personnel. They each took turns asking questions and were all very friendly. I felt I was in sync with what they wanted and they exemplified what I was looking for in a work culture. Lastly, I did a skills test which included internet research and composing mock emails to professors and students. I felt very confident that I had researched the information correctly and composed professional emails.

Despite having purchased a plane ticket, hotel, and car rental (yes, they were aware of this), I never heard back from anyone. I sent follow-up emails, a voicemail, and was ignored.

Interview Questions

• A mother of a student calls you and is frantic that her son has lost his wallet while studying abroad. How do you handle the situation?   Answer Question
  • If you were a type of cheese, what type of cheese would you be and why?   Answer Question

Assistant Coordinator Interview

Assistant Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of California in August 2008.

Interview Details – I was first asked to apply for the job by a co-worker. After applying I was than called and given a choice for interview times. The first phase of interviews was with a large panel. They each took turns asking questions. I chose to answer concise, direct answers. I had prepared points to tie into their questions that would highlight specific skills and ideas I had to contribute. Second phase, second interview with a smaller panel of the directors. Interivew was very straightforward. I shared alot about myself, asked very few questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – offered given, I asked to be able to still have the few days of vacation already schedualed. offer accepted

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Oakland, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of California in April 2010.

Interview Details – Very well organized. Interview set up by phone with a detailed email - interview committee, location and interview format. Pleasant experience. I was taken aback at the number of empty cubicles and storage rooms. Still ramping up from a reorganization. Did not hear back after interview although followup was offered after the interview. Difficult to say what the office is like. Work culture I believe is - do more work with less - less resources and less time.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you were in charge and the outcome was not as expected.   Answer Question

Secretary Interview

Secretary
Oakland, CA

Interview Details – Interviewers are nice.

Interview Question – How do you defined job satisfaction   Answer Question

Renewal of Postdoctoral Fellowship Interview

Renewal of Postdoctoral Fellowship

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of California in February 2010.

Interview Details – There is no interview to get the position for the first year of tenure. Allocation of position is entirely based on some ordinary application requirements, research proposal, support of mentor in selected UC campus, and 3 letters of recommendation. To renew the position for a second year candidates present a personal progress report, justification of need to renew the fellowship, and a report by the mentor. While in certain cases candidates are selected for a 1:1 interview (or small panel interview), in other cases the renewal is granted simply after assessment of renewal application, and no interviews are required.

Interview Question – None. All questions were based on the ongoing research, progress report and academic plans for the future, so no surprises. The interviewee is always in control, as questions pertain to his own work. Interviewer was supportive at all times and offered good "mentoring" tips and advice.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not applicable. The fellowship comes with a closed salary amount not subject to negotiation. It is the same for all fellows across the board (except minor differences by discipline, especially in sciences --biology, chemistry, etc-- where fellows may have greater start costs, need for expensive materials, etc.)

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of California in September 2011.

Interview Details – Everyone in this office is very professional and helpful.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Oakland, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at University of California in March 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was fairly simple and professional. The interview consisted of two on site interviews. The first interview was with the Hiring Manager and another Business Analyst. It consisted of standard Business Analysis questions about requirement gathering, documentation and task prioritization. Was presented with various scenarios, technical as well as professional, to solve. The second interview was with the department's Sr. Director. Standard HR interview with questions ranging from "Why is this a good position for you?" to "What will you bring to this position?". I was also required to provide with some work samples as well as TWO professional references.

Interview Question – What would be your approach to a situation for with you require some feedback and you do not have your Manager to guide you?   View Answer

Senior Analyst Interview

Senior Analyst

Interviewed at University of California

Interview Details – Awkward, the colleagues seemed tense as if they didn't want to work there.

Interview Question – Why did you move in high school?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate

Worked for University of California? Contribute to the Community!