University of Cambridge Interview Questions in Cambridge, East of England, England

Updated Jun 11, 2015

2.9

Graduate Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

Basic skills test lasting half an hour, using Microsoft Office. Then an interview lasting about 45 minutes. Not too formal, very approachable panel of people who were genuinely knowledgeable and relevant to the post I was interviewing for. Good range of questions about myself and my personal experiences and how they could benefit the role, as well as my professional experience.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with periods of time where the workload might be very small?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)).

Interview

Looked for job posted on the website. Sent out a few email exchanges to register interests and to make enquiries. Waited for 1 month before receiving the invitation for interview. Skype interview because was overseas at the time of interviewing. Two rounds of interviews with mismatch occurred at the later stage.

Interview Questions

• Would you prefer to work at our lab as a PhD student rather than as a RA?   Answer Question

Senior Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

Prior to the interview was a Word test (and old version, which made it a little challenging!) and an audio typing test. The interview itself was very traditional: panel of three including the line manager, started by talking through employment history then some behavioural questions. I actually found the questions to be quite low-level for the role.

Custodial Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)).

Interview

I was shown a detailed list of the responsibilities that the role holder would undertake and asked how I would tackle them. General questions about my background.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Hours were flexible. Salary was not.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in August 2013.

Interview

Easy and informal start of the interview helps "break the ice". Followed by a lab tour which was very professional and essential for a candidate. Then a detailed conversation about the post-holder duties and candidate experience. The interviewer came prepared - being familiar with the candidate's background, research interests and papers.

Interview Questions

• Some technical questions were not easy to answer. However with relevant experience should be OK.   Answer Question

Resident Trainee Interview

Application

Interview

Application included CV, Cover Letter and Referees list. Interview date (already known on application pack) to close to dead line of applications. Had to set travel arrangements to quick. Referees letters asked two days prior interview. Friendly chat with a professor, a senior lecturer, a head of teaching personel and human resources staff. Key role: chat with the previous holder of the position (so 5 person interview panel), after the formal interview end. Previous holder might played the most significant role for the decision. Duration: 15 min formal interview, 30 chat with previous holder!!! Warm welcome and friendly interview environment.

Interview Questions

• Why choose Cambridge (really unexpected).   1 Answer

Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in December 2011.

Interview

applied through UCAS, took 2 weeks

Interview Questions

• Hotelling model, production function, industrial revolution   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in October 2010.

Interview

Sent in my CV and received a call to go for an interview two weeks later. I was interviewed by two professors who were extremely nice. They did not ask me any difficult questions, but they wanted to know what PhD was about, why I was interested in the job and what I could offer.

Negotiation

I emailed back to state that they should take into consideration my previous employment experience and they came back with a counter offer which I accepted.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in July 2010.

Interview

A few days after applying for this position (through email), I was informed that my CV was interesting and the screening of the applicants (for the interview) will begin soon after the deadline. Three weeks later, I was informed that I was shortlisted for the interview and I was asked to confirm my availability for a personal interview. After confirming my availability, two weeks later, some material was shared with me to go through, to understand the nature of the proposed research project, that is to be held in a week.

Interview Questions

• During the interview, I was questioned by three highly experienced professors with different backgrounds. As soon as I entered into the room, I was well received and they made me feel comfortable. Then, I was asked to explain why I think I am the right person for the project?   1 Answer
    • What would be the kind of difficulties that I anticipate in this work and how I would tackle them.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in February 2010.

Interview

Submitted CV, and called in for an interview. Had to present previous research and answer questions. No soft-skills or standard interview questions, just demonstrating technical competency and good overview of future research plans.

Interview Questions

• Many technical questions about research, literature in my field, etc   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation