University of Cambridge

www.cam.ac.uk
  www.cam.ac.uk

University of Cambridge Interview Questions in Cambridge, East of England, England

Updated Jul 16, 2014
Updated Jul 16, 2014

2.9

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Cambridge.

Looked for job posted on the website.
    Sent out a few email exchanges to register interests and to make enquiries.
    Waited for 1 month before receiving the invitation for interview.
    Skype interview because was overseas at the time of interviewing.
    Two rounds of interviews with mismatch occurred at the later stage.

Interview Questions
    • Would you prefer to work at our lab as a PhD student rather than as a RA?   Answer Question

Custodial Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Cambridge.

I was shown a detailed list of the responsibilities that the role holder would undertake and asked how I would tackle them. General questions about my background.

Interview Questions
    Hours were flexible. Salary was not.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Cambridge in August 2013.

Easy and informal start of the interview helps "break the ice". Followed by a lab tour which was very professional and essential for a candidate. Then a detailed conversation about the post-holder duties and candidate experience. The interviewer came prepared - being familiar with the candidate's background, research interests and papers.

Interview Questions
    • Some technical questions were not easy to answer. However with relevant experience should be OK.   Answer Question

Resident Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Cambridge.

Application included CV, Cover Letter and Referees list.
    Interview date (already known on application pack) to close to dead line of applications.
    Had to set travel arrangements to quick.
    Referees letters asked two days prior interview.
    Friendly chat with a professor, a senior lecturer, a head of teaching personel and human resources staff.
    Key role: chat with the previous holder of the position (so 5 person interview panel), after the formal interview end. Previous holder might played the most significant role for the decision.
    Duration: 15 min formal interview, 30 chat with previous holder!!!
    Warm welcome and friendly interview environment.

Interview Questions
    • Why choose Cambridge (really unexpected).   View Answer

Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Cambridge in December 2011.

applied through UCAS, took 2 weeks

Interview Questions
    • Hotelling model, production function, industrial revolution   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

interviewed at University of Cambridge in October 2010.

Sent in my CV and received a call to go for an interview two weeks later. I was interviewed by two professors who were extremely nice. They did not ask me any difficult questions, but they wanted to know what PhD was about, why I was interested in the job and what I could offer.

I emailed back to state that they should take into consideration my previous employment experience and they came back with a counter offer which I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Cambridge in July 2010.

A few days after applying for this position (through email), I was informed that my CV was interesting and the screening of the applicants (for the interview) will begin soon after the deadline. Three weeks later, I was informed that I was shortlisted for the interview and I was asked to confirm my availability for a personal interview. After confirming my availability, two weeks later, some material was shared with me to go through, to understand the nature of the proposed research project, that is to be held in a week.

Interview Questions
    • During the interview, I was questioned by three highly experienced professors with different backgrounds. As soon as I entered into the room, I was well received and they made me feel comfortable. Then, I was asked to explain why I think I am the right person for the project?   View Answer
    • What would be the kind of difficulties that I anticipate in this work and how I would tackle them.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at University of Cambridge in February 2010.

Submitted CV, and called in for an interview. Had to present previous research and answer questions. No soft-skills or standard interview questions, just demonstrating technical competency and good overview of future research plans.

Interview Questions
    • Many technical questions about research, literature in my field, etc   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Cambridge in December 2009.

I entered the room and was faced with a scene from the Bible. 6 balding aged men where sat round in a semi-circle and then proceeded to fire questions at me for 40 min until they felt they had build enough of a picture of my personality to make me an offer.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Cambridge in January 2009.

1h presentation of my work, then 1h discussion about it, then got introduced to the rest of the team.

No possibility to negociate