University of Cambridge Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

2.9

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of Cambridge in September 2013.

Interview

Applied through email. Recommend checking the website jobs.cam.ac.uk. Got back to me for an interview a 7-10 days post the submission deadline. Interview was then 14 days after. Panel of interviewers. Questions ranged from detailed questions about the post, specifics on my CV, what I would do in different scenarios with demanding clients, ability to reply quickly to emails, and future goals.

Interview Questions

• What aspects of the job posting do you think you will struggle with? What aspects will you excel at.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

Presentation of recent research project followed by questions. The most common questions include: What would you do next/Why did you use this...You typically apply for a very specialised post so do not waste too much of your time presenting work that the interviewers do not care about. Usually one or two interviewers are present.You typically get a reply within 2-3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• What would you do next? What method would you use to dissect this?   Answer Question

MPhil Economics Interview

Interview

Sending application and personal statement in early December and received conditional offer in March. 70% on average. No interview. Overall application is straight forward, though be prepared to be on the waiting list.

PhD Student Interview

Interview

Easy going, friendly interview. The key is to show you have looked into the projects and are able to answer why you like that project in particular. Ask questions, be enthusiastic! They want capable people who are really motivated. People generally dressed smart but others chose to go very casual. I would say don't go over the top but make some effort, it's a research centre after all.

Interview Questions

• About dark matter, orbits. Why I wanted to work on the project.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Standard salary

Graduate Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

Basic skills test lasting half an hour, using Microsoft Office. Then an interview lasting about 45 minutes. Not too formal, very approachable panel of people who were genuinely knowledgeable and relevant to the post I was interviewing for. Good range of questions about myself and my personal experiences and how they could benefit the role, as well as my professional experience.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with periods of time where the workload might be very small?   1 Answer

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

I had to fill in some forms online together with CV and letters of recommendation. The application was for a BBSRC studentship. There are usually a couple allocated to each department and those then get distributed to students rather than the supervisors. I was invited for an interview day where we were welcomed by friendly PhD students who were very supportive. There were about 16 people for 8 studentships and most of the students were quite nervous. Everyone had two interviews, one general one and an academic one. I had a really challenging interview at Leeds before and compared to that one, the one in Cambridge was a breeze. All the panelists were so friendly and what stood out for me was that they were rather trying to help you show your best rather than picking on weaknesses. So they would , for example, ask what I have done during a particular research experience and I just explained very roughly and showed my enthusiasm for science which I think goes a long way in the Cambridge interviews. The general/ personal interview was really there to get to know the student as a person and one of the panelists even told me that 'this and that' was very impressive. So overall, it was a very nice interview experience. i got the studentship in the end :) Also, it's interesting that far less students seem to apply to Cambridge than some other institutions. And each year after the interviews the panelists say how impressed they were with the high level of the applications.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)).

Interview

Looked for job posted on the website. Sent out a few email exchanges to register interests and to make enquiries. Waited for 1 month before receiving the invitation for interview. Skype interview because was overseas at the time of interviewing. Two rounds of interviews with mismatch occurred at the later stage.

Interview Questions

• Would you prefer to work at our lab as a PhD student rather than as a RA?   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

Video conference

Interview Questions

• How do you think you can collaborate with people here?   Answer Question

Senior Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

Prior to the interview was a Word test (and old version, which made it a little challenging!) and an audio typing test. The interview itself was very traditional: panel of three including the line manager, started by talking through employment history then some behavioural questions. I actually found the questions to be quite low-level for the role.

Custodial Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)).

Interview

I was shown a detailed list of the responsibilities that the role holder would undertake and asked how I would tackle them. General questions about my background.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Hours were flexible. Salary was not.