University of Cambridge Interview Questions

Updated Sep 25, 2014
Updated Sep 25, 2014

2.9

Senior Research Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of Cambridge in September 2013.

Applied through email. Recommend checking the website jobs.cam.ac.uk. Got back to me for an interview a 7-10 days post the submission deadline. Interview was then 14 days after.

Panel of interviewers. Questions ranged from detailed questions about the post, specifics on my CV, what I would do in different scenarios with demanding clients, ability to reply quickly to emails, and future goals.

Interview Questions
    • What aspects of the job posting do you think you will struggle with? What aspects will you excel at.   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of Cambridge.

I had to fill in some forms online together with CV and letters of recommendation. The application was for a BBSRC studentship. There are usually a couple allocated to each department and those then get distributed to students rather than the supervisors. I was invited for an interview day where we were welcomed by friendly PhD students who were very supportive. There were about 16 people for 8 studentships and most of the students were quite nervous. Everyone had two interviews, one general one and an academic one. I had a really challenging interview at Leeds before and compared to that one, the one in Cambridge was a breeze. All the panelists were so friendly and what stood out for me was that they were rather trying to help you show your best rather than picking on weaknesses. So they would , for example, ask what I have done during a particular research experience and I just explained very roughly and showed my enthusiasm for science which I think goes a long way in the Cambridge interviews. The general/ personal interview was really there to get to know the student as a person and one of the panelists even told me that 'this and that' was very impressive. So overall, it was a very nice interview experience. i got the studentship in the end :) Also, it's interesting that far less students seem to apply to Cambridge than some other institutions. And each year after the interviews the panelists say how impressed they were with the high level of the applications.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Cambridge.

Looked for job posted on the website.
    Sent out a few email exchanges to register interests and to make enquiries.
    Waited for 1 month before receiving the invitation for interview.
    Skype interview because was overseas at the time of interviewing.
    Two rounds of interviews with mismatch occurred at the later stage.

Interview Questions
    • Would you prefer to work at our lab as a PhD student rather than as a RA?   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Cambridge.

Video conference

Interview Questions
    • How do you think you can collaborate with people here?   Answer Question

Custodial Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Cambridge.

I was shown a detailed list of the responsibilities that the role holder would undertake and asked how I would tackle them. General questions about my background.

Interview Questions
    Hours were flexible. Salary was not.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Cambridge in August 2013.

Easy and informal start of the interview helps "break the ice". Followed by a lab tour which was very professional and essential for a candidate. Then a detailed conversation about the post-holder duties and candidate experience. The interviewer came prepared - being familiar with the candidate's background, research interests and papers.

Interview Questions
    • Some technical questions were not easy to answer. However with relevant experience should be OK.   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

First had to find a potential PhD supervisor.

Next had to find funding for the PhD.

Had to convince senior academics that I had a decent PhD plan and that I would be up to the task. This involved answering questions in front of a panel and explaining my research proposal.

Resident Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Cambridge.

Application included CV, Cover Letter and Referees list.
    Interview date (already known on application pack) to close to dead line of applications.
    Had to set travel arrangements to quick.
    Referees letters asked two days prior interview.
    Friendly chat with a professor, a senior lecturer, a head of teaching personel and human resources staff.
    Key role: chat with the previous holder of the position (so 5 person interview panel), after the formal interview end. Previous holder might played the most significant role for the decision.
    Duration: 15 min formal interview, 30 chat with previous holder!!!
    Warm welcome and friendly interview environment.

Interview Questions
    • Why choose Cambridge (really unexpected).   View Answer

Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Cambridge in December 2011.

applied through UCAS, took 2 weeks

Interview Questions
    • Hotelling model, production function, industrial revolution   Answer Question

Research Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Cambridge in August 2011.

Mainly email communication, and one call. There was not much requirement, apart from a genuine interest and a good CV.