University of Cambridge

Getting the Interview

4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at University of Cambridge in February 2010.

Interview Details – Submitted CV, and called in for an interview. Had to present previous research and answer questions. No soft-skills or standard interview questions, just demonstrating technical competency and good overview of future research plans.

Interview Question – Many technical questions about research, literature in my field, etc   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Research Associate
Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Cambridge in November 2009.

Interview Details – First I had a phone interview and then was flown in to give a presentation and have an in-person interview. They paid for the flight and arranged an accommodation for me during my stay.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – The salaries are fixed in academia. So there was really not much to discuss beside science.

Very Easy Interview

Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Cambridge in July 2008.

Interview Details – It was a meeting with the professor but it was me who asked for it. Otherwise I would have started the job without interview.

Negotiation Details – For any negotiation they ask formal (paper) proofs

Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

The process took a day - interviewed at University of Cambridge in July 2010.

Interview Details – A few days after applying for this position (through email), I was informed that my CV was interesting and the screening of the applicants (for the interview) will begin soon after the deadline. Three weeks later, I was informed that I was shortlisted for the interview and I was asked to confirm my availability for a personal interview. After confirming my availability, two weeks later, some material was shared with me to go through, to understand the nature of the proposed research project, that is to be held in a week.

Interview Questions

• During the interview, I was questioned by three highly experienced professors with different backgrounds. As soon as I entered into the room, I was well received and they made me feel comfortable. Then, I was asked to explain why I think I am the right person for the project?   View Answer
  • What would be the kind of difficulties that I anticipate in this work and how I would tackle them.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of Cambridge

Worked for University of Cambridge? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Cambridge Research Associate interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by University of Cambridge employees and interview candidates.