University of Cambridge Research Associate Interview Questions

2.8

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)).

Interview

Looked for job posted on the website. Sent out a few email exchanges to register interests and to make enquiries. Waited for 1 month before receiving the invitation for interview. Skype interview because was overseas at the time of interviewing. Two rounds of interviews with mismatch occurred at the later stage.

Interview Questions

• Would you prefer to work at our lab as a PhD student rather than as a RA?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for University of Cambridge

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in October 2010.

Interview

Sent in my CV and received a call to go for an interview two weeks later. I was interviewed by two professors who were extremely nice. They did not ask me any difficult questions, but they wanted to know what PhD was about, why I was interested in the job and what I could offer.

Negotiation

I emailed back to state that they should take into consideration my previous employment experience and they came back with a counter offer which I accepted.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in July 2010.

Interview

A few days after applying for this position (through email), I was informed that my CV was interesting and the screening of the applicants (for the interview) will begin soon after the deadline. Three weeks later, I was informed that I was shortlisted for the interview and I was asked to confirm my availability for a personal interview. After confirming my availability, two weeks later, some material was shared with me to go through, to understand the nature of the proposed research project, that is to be held in a week.

Interview Questions

• During the interview, I was questioned by three highly experienced professors with different backgrounds. As soon as I entered into the room, I was well received and they made me feel comfortable. Then, I was asked to explain why I think I am the right person for the project?   1 Answer
    • What would be the kind of difficulties that I anticipate in this work and how I would tackle them.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in February 2010.

Interview

Submitted CV, and called in for an interview. Had to present previous research and answer questions. No soft-skills or standard interview questions, just demonstrating technical competency and good overview of future research plans.

Interview Questions

• Many technical questions about research, literature in my field, etc   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)) in November 2009.

Interview

First I had a phone interview and then was flown in to give a presentation and have an in-person interview. They paid for the flight and arranged an accommodation for me during my stay.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The salaries are fixed in academia. So there was really not much to discuss beside science.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in July 2008.

Interview

It was a meeting with the professor but it was me who asked for it. Otherwise I would have started the job without interview.

Negotiation

For any negotiation they ask formal (paper) proofs