University of Chicago Interview Questions & Reviews in Chicago, IL

2.8

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Chicago in October 2010.

Found out about job opening at an event for undergraduate research positions in the fall. All labs with current openings described their research and their current needs. I approached the lab contact (a graduate student) for her email, and followed up shortly with my resume. I had an interview with graduate student in the lab the following week. I was offered the position and began within a month.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation, as salaries for undergraduates are standard.

Research Lab Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Chicago.

It's really based on whether you know someone in the lab. The hiring is rarely formal or official. You just have to know someone in the lab that can tell the professor or their former manager. For big labs, there will be job posting on the university recruitment site.

Interview Questions
    • They ask you what you want to do after this. They mostly look for people who will pursue a grad school after this lab manager position, because they think it's an indicator of how motivated you are.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Chicago in April 2012.

I contacted various PI's by email around my last year of Ph.D. work. A prospective PI from UofC contacted me and arranged for an interview. It took about two months before I first heard from the prospective PI and another two months to arrange an interview date. The interview consisted of a face-to-face visit with him and several of his lab members followed by a presentation of my Ph.D. work. The lab seemed generally happy and confident the lab's work was going in a positive direction.

Interview Questions
    • Nearly all questions asked were fairly straightforward. The prospective PI didn't try to ask a question that would inevitably trap me giving an off-the-cuff answer. Overall, the interview was a pleasant experience.   Answer Question
    The pay was standard NIH salary for a researcher with 0-1 years postdoctoral experience.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Chicago in March 2014.

Applied in February. I got contacted in March to pass initial phone interview. Got offered a face to face interview two weeks later. I passed second interview. a few day later, I was offered a third interview. I did not hear from them for two weeks. I received a rejection letter in the mail. Yes, a physical letter telling me I was not hired.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Chicago in September 2010.

I applied through the careers web page of the university. I received an email within 2 weeks from the supervisor. I had a short phone interview to schedule a job interview on campus which took place 2 weeks later. I was interviewed by the head of the department, the supervisor, the HR manager, and the executive administrator. Questions were mostly about my qualifications. It took another month before I got a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • I had to explain why I wanted to change my field of research. I didn't want to move and I couldn't find a research job in my field in Chicago.   Answer Question

Clinic Licensed Practical Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Chicago in September 2013.

One interview hired the same day.

Interview Questions
    • None the manager that hired me, was very eager to hire me. But she extended my probationary period, and asked me to resign when i didn't want to do unethical things.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Chicago.

Very casual, went over the resume and the typical usual questions.

Preservation Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Chicago.

Originally I was reached out to by my former boss via email. I came in for an interview right in the office. The atmosphere was friendly, and we mostly just walked through my resume to highlight things that would be applicable to the job. The rest of the office dressed very casually and seemed nice.

Interview Questions
    • How do you think this experience will fit into your career?   Answer Question

Barista At Ex Libris Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Chicago in September 2010.

I was interviewed at an informational session my first year at Hallowed Grounds. We were asked to fill out an application that consisted of mostly fun questions in order to gauge your personality. Afterwards, most applicants were interviewed on the spot. The interview was casual for the most part. Coffee shop interviewers were the general managers of the coffee shop, meaning older students.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to DJ, what kind of music would you play at the coffee shop?   Answer Question
    N/A

Research Professional Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Chicago in November 2010.

job interview direct with the supervisor and previous research work presentation

no negotiation was given

Worked for University of Chicago? Contribute to the Community!