University of Chicago

2.7

40 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Chicago in September 2014.

Extremely painless process, prompt callbacks, interviewers (hiring manager, doctors, HR recruiter and team) were not intimidating, extremely positive experience. Convenient location, not the hustle and bustle of being downtown Chicago.

Interview Questions
    • Usual interview questions, "how do you handle conflict?" "how are you on learning new things?", "do you adapt to change well?", etc.   Answer Question

Research Lab Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Chicago.

It's really based on whether you know someone in the lab. The hiring is rarely formal or official. You just have to know someone in the lab that can tell the professor or their former manager. For big labs, there will be job posting on the university recruitment site.

Interview Questions
    • They ask you what you want to do after this. They mostly look for people who will pursue a grad school after this lab manager position, because they think it's an indicator of how motivated you are.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Chicago in March 2014.

Applied in February. I got contacted in March to pass initial phone interview. Got offered a face to face interview two weeks later. I passed second interview. a few day later, I was offered a third interview. I did not hear from them for two weeks. I received a rejection letter in the mail. Yes, a physical letter telling me I was not hired.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Chicago.

Very casual, went over the resume and the typical usual questions.

Preservation Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Chicago.

Originally I was reached out to by my former boss via email. I came in for an interview right in the office. The atmosphere was friendly, and we mostly just walked through my resume to highlight things that would be applicable to the job. The rest of the office dressed very casually and seemed nice.

Interview Questions
    • How do you think this experience will fit into your career?   Answer Question

Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of Chicago in December 2013.

Original post: First, a phone screen. Then, and in person interview in two parts covering the entire team. Some people were friendlier than others. I often received vague answers to my questions. The potential direct superior did not seem to have a good grasp of the position's responsibilities.

Interview Questions
    • What are the two most important things you have taken away from your current position?   Answer Question

Was offered job but at a much lower salary than was discussed in interview process. No explanation was given and the salary was not raised significantly. They were very oppositional and unaccommodating. The process did not indicate a healthy working environment. I did not end up taking the job.

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Chicago.

Contacted by HR, then came in at my own expense to interview in person.

Clinic Licensed Practical Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Chicago in September 2013.

One interview hired the same day.

Interview Questions
    • None the manager that hired me, was very eager to hire me. But she extended my probationary period, and asked me to resign when i didn't want to do unethical things.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Research Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Chicago in July 2013.

The interview process took about 2 months. Over that period there were two call interviews and one in-person interview. Since I'm out of the country, my flight and accommodation were covered for the short time that I was there. I had discussions with 5 people, sequentially, over a period of 5 hours (including lunch). The people, office and work culture are very similar to academia: very intelligent people (e.g., graduate students, post-docs, research professionals with high-level degrees) working in close proximity (cubicles or offices) who may be permitted to work flexibly (time) as long as it gets done before a hard-deadline (industrial-like).

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself, career-wise, down the road? He wanted to know in what working environment I would thrive in the most (e.g., academic, research center or industry and, in terms of role type, an independent research or service-oriented role)   View Answer

Summer Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Chicago in April 2013.

I submitted an application to the Conte Systems Biology REU program, which required a statement of interest and two to three recommendations. About two weeks after the submission, one of the researchers in the Conte system called me to request an interview. Since I was attending school at the University, I chose to hold the interview in person rather than over the phone. About a week after the interview, my position for the summer was confirmed.

Interview Questions
    • Just general inquires about my interest and skills for the position. Technical questions about MATLAB and Excel experience.   Answer Question