University of Chicago

Updated Dec 14, 2014
Updated Dec 14, 2014

2.8

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

I worked in my previous phd advisor's lab, so there was no interview.I just asked my adivsor if he is willing to support me for another year. He is satisfied with my phd work and he wants me to lead the team to explore further in current research. So he immediately let me stay here.

Standard NIH salary for 1st year postdoc

Graduate Student Interview

Submitted application. Initially heard nothing but then was told by a department administrator that I was on the waitlist. After affirming that I would attend the school if admitted I was finally accepted off the waitlist about 3 weeks before the deadlines.

Interview Questions

Chicago was a far more attractive option in terms of the grad school experience and the doors it would open afterwards.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Chicago in September 2014.

Extremely painless process, prompt callbacks, interviewers (hiring manager, doctors, HR recruiter and team) were not intimidating, extremely positive experience. Convenient location, not the hustle and bustle of being downtown Chicago.

Interview Questions
    • Usual interview questions, "how do you handle conflict?" "how are you on learning new things?", "do you adapt to change well?", etc.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

I sent out lots of cold emails and eventually got a response. Interview will most likely vary by Professor but interview mainly involved just what kinds of software skills I had and how many hours I was willing to commit. He also gave me the nature of the work. For the Booth school, salary seemed to be understood to be around $10-15 for undergraduates.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. As I mentioned before, mainly software skills and how many hours I was willing to commit.   Answer Question
    none

Associate Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at University of Chicago.

initial phone interview, then two rounds of in-person interviews which were both 3.5-4 hours long. About a week after my second in - person interview, I received a call from the University asking me to provide references that would be contacted. They were contacted, and shortly after they were i received an offer.

Interview Questions
    Not much room for negotiation, but I was happy with the offer regardless.

Index Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Chicago.

One phone interview, two in-person interviews. The in-person interviews were with three different groups, the CEO, management and peers. The interviews in-person lasted about 2 hours each time. Everyone was friendly and welcoming.

Interview Questions
    • Please relate your skills to managing large data. Give examples of your attention to detail and a process you helped improve.   Answer Question

Clinical Coordinator Interview

Simple 3 part interview- mainly just behavioral questions and q's related to capacity to handle workload. Met with primary investigator, other clinical coordinators, and staff. Overall, it was a pain free process. Some positions may require a writing sample- mine did not require it.

Did not negotiate

Research Specialist I Interview

It's was a very simple and relatively easy process. The person who interviewed me was very genuine and made me feel at ease. The questions were typical interview questions like "Tell me about yourself" and "Why are you interested in this position?" She described to me the position that I was interviewing for and that took a bulk of the time.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't really an unexpected question. Process was very basic.   Answer Question

Research Professional I Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of Chicago.

Promoted from Postdoc position. Had to give professional presentation for 1 hour and 1 on 1 interview with subject experts. I was impressed by the opportunity and projects and eventually took the offer.

Research Lab Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Chicago.

It's really based on whether you know someone in the lab. The hiring is rarely formal or official. You just have to know someone in the lab that can tell the professor or their former manager. For big labs, there will be job posting on the university recruitment site.

Interview Questions
    • They ask you what you want to do after this. They mostly look for people who will pursue a grad school after this lab manager position, because they think it's an indicator of how motivated you are.   Answer Question