University of Cincinnati

University of Cincinnati Assistant Professor Interview Questions

3.5

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Assistant Professor Interview

Getting hired at a University is not an easy process. I found the people at UC to be very helpful, in spite of all the hoops you have to jump through. They took me out to a great dinner and showed me around the city. They even had a realtor show me around, so I could figure out where to buy a house.

Interview Questions
  • Where do you want to be five years from now?   View Answer
They negotiated a little, but not that much. I wanted the job, so I only asked for a slight increase in salary, which they agreed to.

Other Interview Reviews for University of Cincinnati

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Cincinnati.

Applicants for tenure track are reviewed by committee. Top 5-7 applicants are then asked to conduct phone interviews. Phone interview determines an invite for personal interview with faculty, directors, dean, students roughly a week or two later. This visit and presentation is a critical factor. This is a stat run institution. There are many steps and things can move slower than expected.

Interview Questions
    • How do you describe your teaching philosophy and how do you think it would fit in our program?   View Answer
    Negotiation was minimal. Director makes a bid, and you counter that bid. Until you find a middle ground.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Cincinnati in March 2009.

Standard interview in my field. Presented a lecture of original research with Q&A. Meeting with faculty search committee: asked about reasons for wanting to teach at UC, potential courses I could offer, interests in classroom teaching vs. research. Meeting with graduate students in the department: very varied areas of interest, some clearly liked my specialty, some were openly hostile to it. Interviewed by: dean, one-on-one time with chair of the search committee, lunch with other members of the committee (being asked detailed questions about publication experiences working with specific presses, editing experience, etc.), and meeting with HR to review benefits package. Taught one class meeting of a required course for majors. Very friendly and helpful atmosphere in general.

Interview Questions
    • Should all majors in the field be required to take a course in [a particularly detailed subject related directly to my speciality]?   View Answer