University of Colorado

Relevance Date Difficulty

Professional Research Assistant Interview

Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Colorado in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online through career site. Invited to interview with PI within 2 weeks. Interview was 30 minutes and covered previous research experience and education.

Interview Question – Discuss previous research.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Director Interview

Director
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Colorado in March 2014.

Interview Details – Long process. Panel and full day interviews.

Interview Question – What was you biggest failure?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Postdoctoral Researcher

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Colorado in April 2009.

Interview Details – With a postdoctoral researcher, there are typically at least 2 interviews. The first to meet the investigator and the second to present graduate studies to the lab or perhaps to the entire department- it varies by investigator. You should be able to talk to members of the group to determine what they think of the work environment and how they like it.

Interview Question – None of the questions were memorable or ridiculous. Be prepared to discuss your career goals and plans. Be aware you are talking to an academic researcher who may or may not respect you if you plan not to go that route.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I preferred the research in this particular lab over others.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Boulder, CO

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at University of Colorado in January 2011.

Interview Details – Graduate School. Submit the Required Online Materials and then Got a Skype Interview From a Department Professor. The Professor Asks Several Questions such as:1 Why do you choose us? 2 Why do you choose Boulder? 3 How is your plan for your graduate school? 4 What is your personal research plan and future plan?

Interview Question – What is the difference between Science and Nature?   Answer Question

Professional Research Assistant Interview

Professional Research Assistant
Boulder, CO

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at University of Colorado in October 2009.

Interview Details – This was a straight forward and transparent hiring process. I was contacted shortly after sending in a resume for an in-person interview. The interview itself lasted 30 minutes, and was with the head of the department and the staffing manager. They asked relevant questions about my work experience as it related to the position.

Interview Question – What is the air speed velocity of swallow.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Assistant Interview

Sales Assistant
Aurora, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Colorado.

Interview Details – Typically there is a three step process to the interview and hiring process but when I was hired it was a one step process. The woman hiring me did not fully understand the process for hiring of state employees. She asked me one or two questions I was in and out of there with my job in less then 10 minutes.

Interview Question – I was not asked any difficult or unexpected questions. All I was asked is if I had any food service experience? I said no. Do you have any customer service experience? I said yes. When would you like to start?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. They have a set dollar amount they start everyone in that job class at.

Assistant Director Interview

Assistant Director
Boulder, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Colorado.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email for the initial interview after about 30 days. I had 2 group interviews and 2 one-on-one interviews (with different members of the team). The entire process took about 90 days and there lots of different steps Throughout my process, I met with 12 different people. I was offered the position and then my references were checked and background check completed.

Interview Question – With regards to co-workers in your current position, what are they doing that you wouldn't enjoy doing?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a slightly higher salary.

Research Assistant and Graduate Student Interview

Research Assistant and Graduate Student
Aurora, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Colorado in March 2011.

Interview Details – It was important to be persistent of my admissions, by contacting many professors from the department, before, and after applying. It helped to contact one professor, who gave me an assignment in the meantime, while waiting on an interview call. He was impressed when I accomplished the task well.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions, but I figured the most difficult question for me was to explain why I chose this University over the others.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations involved, since the salary is fixed.

Student Affairs Position Interview

Student Affairs Position
Boulder, CO

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Colorado in September 2011.

Interview Details – After finding out the position on a job listings website, I applied online. It was a relatively easy process, which I uploaded both my cover letter and resume. A month later, I received an email asking if I was still interested in the position but was reminded of the salary and how they would not offered relocation assistance (which I already knew/assumed). Once I accepted that fact, I was invited for a 15 minute phone interview, where I asked questions by a committee about student development, event planning, and diversity. It was really quick! The following week, I was invited for an on campus interview. I met with a variety of people, staff and students as well as individually and in groups. Although I was not offered the job, it ultimately took them a month to let me know that decision. It's a very homogenous campus, and I felt out of place as a person of color interviewing. Sometimes I felt was only brought to campus for that fact.

Interview Question – Describe an event that you organized and how did you incorporate diversity into it?   Answer Question

Payroll & Benefits Services Interview

Payroll & Benefits Services
Boulder, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Colorado in January 2009.

Interview Details – The hiring porcess is a word is LONG (for a state employee position) Please be prepared and/or understand that getting hired with any state organization is both time consuming and takes quite a bit of patience. Filling out app took about 4-6 hours and I needed to include my resume AND copies of my transcript to prove education. I also needed to enter my reference info (be sure that you note it down as your refs that you email should match those that you submittted). Then it took 6-8 weeks to get the initial phone call after the app was submitted, another 2-3 weeks to get the interview and then a few more weeks to get an offer. All in all 3-4 months from start to finish. Having hired a few people in that state system in my tenure there, that timeline is pretty accurate. One phone, one panel (3-5 people from different units in the dept which took about 2-2.5 hrs), ref. check, negotiations with managers, offer, etc. Work culture is live it, breathe it, do it and if you're part of management, there's not a lot of work life balance. People are friendly and nice but work is key.

Interview Question – How familiar are you with the benefit plans or what we offer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes, I was able to negotiate some in the salary area. Understand that since it's such a large institution, there's not a lot of room for vacation, salary range and benefit negotiation as a state employee since that has been determined by the state already. Be ready to negotiate with facts and not feelings since fact based is more respected by senior management.

Worked for University of Colorado? Contribute to the Community!