University of Colorado

2.8

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Colorado in March 2014.

Long process. Panel and full day interviews.

Professional Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in University of Colorado, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in University of Colorado, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Colorado in February 2014.

Applied online through career site. Invited to interview with PI within 2 weeks. Interview was 30 minutes and covered previous research experience and education.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Colorado.

Typically there is a three step process to the interview and hiring process but when I was hired it was a one step process. The woman hiring me did not fully understand the process for hiring of state employees. She asked me one or two questions I was in and out of there with my job in less then 10 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • I was not asked any difficult or unexpected questions. All I was asked is if I had any food service experience? I said no. Do you have any customer service experience? I said yes. When would you like to start?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase. They have a set dollar amount they start everyone in that job class at.

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Colorado.

I applied online and received an email for the initial interview after about 30 days. I had 2 group interviews and 2 one-on-one interviews (with different members of the team). The entire process took about 90 days and there lots of different steps Throughout my process, I met with 12 different people. I was offered the position and then my references were checked and background check completed.

Interview Questions
    • With regards to co-workers in your current position, what are they doing that you wouldn't enjoy doing?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate a slightly higher salary.

Student Affairs Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Colorado in September 2011.

After finding out the position on a job listings website, I applied online. It was a relatively easy process, which I uploaded both my cover letter and resume. A month later, I received an email asking if I was still interested in the position but was reminded of the salary and how they would not offered relocation assistance (which I already knew/assumed). Once I accepted that fact, I was invited for a 15 minute phone interview, where I asked questions by a committee about student development, event planning, and diversity. It was really quick! The following week, I was invited for an on campus interview. I met with a variety of people, staff and students as well as individually and in groups. Although I was not offered the job, it ultimately took them a month to let me know that decision. It's a very homogenous campus, and I felt out of place as a person of color interviewing. Sometimes I felt was only brought to campus for that fact.

Interview Questions
    • Describe an event that you organized and how did you incorporate diversity into it?   Answer Question

Research Assistant and Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, CO

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Colorado in March 2011.

It was important to be persistent of my admissions, by contacting many professors from the department, before, and after applying. It helped to contact one professor, who gave me an assignment in the meantime, while waiting on an interview call. He was impressed when I accomplished the task well.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions, but I figured the most difficult question for me was to explain why I chose this University over the others.   Answer Question
    No negotiations involved, since the salary is fixed.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of Colorado in January 2011.

Graduate School. Submit the Required Online Materials and then Got a Skype Interview From a Department Professor. The Professor Asks Several Questions such as:1 Why do you choose us? 2 Why do you choose Boulder? 3 How is your plan for your graduate school? 4 What is your personal research plan and future plan?

Professional Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Colorado in October 2009.

This was a straight forward and transparent hiring process. I was contacted shortly after sending in a resume for an in-person interview. The interview itself lasted 30 minutes, and was with the head of the department and the staffing manager. They asked relevant questions about my work experience as it related to the position.

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Colorado in September 2009.

Met with two different groups for 30 minutes each. The first part of the interview was with two directors, asst. dean and a representative from HR. The questions were primarily geared toward management style. The second half ot the interview was with three people from the IT staff. One was from security, one from sys admin, and one developer. The questions were very technical in nature.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Colorado in April 2009.

With a postdoctoral researcher, there are typically at least 2 interviews. The first to meet the investigator and the second to present graduate studies to the lab or perhaps to the entire department- it varies by investigator. You should be able to talk to members of the group to determine what they think of the work environment and how they like it.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were memorable or ridiculous. Be prepared to discuss your career goals and plans. Be aware you are talking to an academic researcher who may or may not respect you if you plan not to go that route.   Answer Question

I preferred the research in this particular lab over others.