University of Colorado at Boulder Interview Questions

Updated Mar 12, 2015
Updated Mar 12, 2015

2.8

Student Assistant Interview

very easy, beahavior questions, situations questions mostly, want to know about you more than asking questions, want to know you have a plan, are here for a degree, the supervisors are very nice and there are almost all students to help you our in work, flexible schedules

Alumni Relations Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of Colorado at Boulder.

First interview is online through a third party. The interview is a set of pre-selected questions that are displayed on the screen. You have 30 seconds to prepare an answer and 2 minutes to give your response. This interview is not live. The answers are taped and submitted individually. During the interview your screen will by you giving the response so it is a bit awkward and distracting. I would cover up the screen when responding.

Interview Questions
    • If in this position what would be your first event produced for the alumni?
      What past experience makes you fit for this specific role?
      Why should we hire you?

Answer Question

Research Assistant III Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Colorado at Boulder.

Single interview to determine which of the 50+ applicants would be hired. 15 people were interviewed, and after 1-2 weeks references were checked. Make sure to have good references. This can make or break it for you as interview performance in the sciences is only one factor during the application process.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Most difficult was probably, "what makes you the best fit for this position?"   Answer Question
    None

New Resident Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Colorado at Boulder in January 2015.

I applied online. You're required to answer some basic questions, submit location prefs, and attach a resume and cover letter to your application. The application closes early December, and they send out invitations for interviews early January. The process for reselecting past RAs happens a bit earlier.

My interview was late January. They did all of the interviews in one day, with lots of hall directors and current RAs on hand. You sign up for a time slot and are randomly assigned to a HD and RA in that timeslot. I ended up with an RA and HD who were not anywhere near the top of my location prefs, and neither had read my application. I also hadn't lived in either of their dorms.

The HD introduced himself and then took notes on his laptop for the rest of the ~20 minute interview without asking questions. I'm not sure if this is standard or not. All three of us had a double sided sheet of paper with questions printed on it. The questions were fairly typical, asking things like:

Tell us an experience when you experienced good customer service.
    What do you think will be most challenging about being an RA?
    How will you try to connect with students with whom you have nothing in common?
    If you've indicated any hall preferences on your application, can you tell us why you think you are a good fit for them?

Interview Questions
    • The last question involved a fake scenario where you're an RA and have to prioritize several tasks. I don't remember all of them, but here are the ones I do remember in no particular order.

Again, you are an RA. It's 7PM Thursday and you've just returned to your room.
      1. A girl has written a note on your door asking to talk because she's been in a fight with her roommate.
      2. Another girl has dropped a note saying that the A/C in her room is broken and that it's freezing.
      3. Your HD has sent an e-mail asking you to take care of the girl in (2) because her mother has also e-mailed the HD.
      4. You get a text from some classmates asking you to study with them for a test next Tuesday.
      5. Your friends have texted you saying they'll be stopping by later tonight to pick you up to go out and have fun.

View Answer

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Colorado at Boulder in November 2014.

I was contacted through email with a link to HireVue for an online recorded interview, which consisted of about 5 questions, each of which I was given two minutes to review and the website immediately started recording me (whether I had an answer ready or not!) for three minutes. About two weeks later I was sent an email saying some anonymous "expert panel" had reviewed all the interviews, but I was not selected to move forward in the interview process. No explanation! No interaction with any people during the entire process, it was an incredibly impersonal and off-putting process! They said to stare at the camera to make it "feel" like there was eye-contact being made, but it's not natural and was impossible for me to maintain!

Interview Questions
    • Given a mock storyline situation (It's 8am, you have a presentation at 10am, you haven't finished your presentation, the delivery guy calls you and is lost, etc., etc...) what do you do?   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Colorado at Boulder.

Typical of all academic interviews - phone interview followed by in-person 2-3 day visit w/key faculty members & grad students. Watch out for promises not put in writing! Generally collegial audience for presentation, but I was subjected to immediate efforts to get me to take sides in departmental battles.

Interview Questions
    • In appropriate assumptions made about "diverse" aspects of my identity.   View Answer
    Was called a prima donna for asking for a salary at least equal to that of incoming male candidates with less experience.

Events and Outreach Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Colorado at Boulder.

Took a while to hear back! University has a very long hiring process. Had to have three initial interviews before hiring, but with weeks in between. Interviews are done in large groups rather than small. Panels are comprised of different personnel in the office or within its volunteer network. You don't get to speak directly with the supervisor until much later on. This makes answering some questions for the interviewers hard because they are unfamiliar.

Web Content Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Colorado at Boulder.

Started with a group interview (solo, multiple CU people on the call), then went to solo interviews with boss and boss' boss. Process took a little less than a month. References were called.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, compensation was clearly laid out in the original jobs listing.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at University of Colorado at Boulder.

Just had a phone call with my advisor and talked about my previous research. We went over a ppt slide I had prepared. Another student was on the line as we'll. took about 30 minutes or so. We exchanged emails to set the details of the hire like starting date etc.

I asked for a little more than initially offered and received it.

Mail Clerk Interview

It was pretty standard process, I applied for it online, after a week they called me for interview, and at the interview they explained what the duties for this position, they also checked my availability. It was one by one interview, then I accepted the offer.