University of Dundee

Relevance Date Difficulty

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student
Dundee, Scotland (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Dundee in August 2009.

Interview Details – I actively sought out my supervisor during my undergraduate degree. They like prospective students to show initiative. Do your homework before the interview. For a PhD position research what the lab has worked on in the past and what work you will be doing in your project. Ask questions about the project in the interview. Make sure and demonstrate that you are committed to the project long term (PhD positions are generally 3-4 years). They are looking for someone with brains but also someone that will fit well into the lab so try and convey your personality in the interview.

Interview Question – I didn't have any unexpected questions thankfully!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – With PhD positions the stipend is normally set. Basic salaries are £13,500 but MRC/Wellcome trust/CASE studentships are more £16-19,000.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Post Doctoral Scientist Interview

Post Doctoral Scientist
Dundee, Scotland (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Dundee in June 2009.

Interview Details – Oral presentation with demanding audience of experts. Hard on the questions, aimed at destabilising the interviewee.

Interview Question – How many hours you think you can put in your day?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Do not negotiate. The most important thing should be your interest in science.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for University of Dundee? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Dundee interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by University of Dundee employees and interview candidates.