University of Edinburgh

Updated Nov 22, 2014
Updated Nov 22, 2014

2.6

PhD Student Interview

Very easy, just talked about future projects and had an interest. In informatics so funding was quick to get and caused no problems. Supervisor had already got funding from EU body, as is usual, so it's quick to be accepted. If anything there was too little evaluation prior to getting the position, there were too few candidates for them to be picky. 2:1 mandatory, but can go straight from undergrad.

Postdoctoral Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Edinburgh.

Very good initial communication, accommodating when I delayed the start date. Paid for all travel and accommodation for a large panel of candidates

Interview Questions
    I chose not to negotiate

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Edinburgh in October 2012.

The interview was a panel of 3, they were all friendly and reassuring, tried to make the process as easy as possible. They don't try and trick you and want to help you give the best possible interview you can. It was an overwhelmingly positive experience (Although still a litlle nervewracking!).

Easy, helpful and transparent

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Edinburgh in April 2012.

Applied through the regular channels but knew my current supervisor already. Opening statement in the interview: We want you. What do we need to do to make you say yes?

Being an academic institution, pay ranges are fairly rigid, but I was able to negotiate for relocation expenses.

Resident Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

interviewed at University of Edinburgh in March 2012.

The interview process was very straightforward, proceeding from a CV and short essay round to a personal reflection/expression piece meant to showcase the applicants personality. It is important that this project reflects the three core values Accommodation Services seeks in Resident Assistants, and the strongest applications are always the ones that address these values clearly.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what I would do to assist freshman residents who are underage and cannot legally consume alcohol, or who have a disability and cannot engage in physically strenuous activity, etc.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Edinburgh in November 2011.

a presentation of your research work about 30 minutes + 15 minus of questions.

then, talk about the postdoc project, my education background, benefice of the post etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of Edinburgh in March 2011.

Applied to a posted postion. Followed up with a Skype conversation with Professor directly. Hired 2 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Question related to scientific question Professor was studying.   Answer Question
    Professor - Do you want the job?
    Me - Yes I want the job.
    Professor - Good, you'll get the standard postdoc salary, whatever that is.
    Me - OK.

Senior Clerical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Edinburgh in May 2009.

The period of time between application and interview was very short. The interview itself was in front of a 3 person panel with each having equal input. Questions were fairly straight forward and the interviewers were friendly. The majority of the questions related to my previous experienc e and required me to give past examples to highlight an abilityor abilities that would be required in my new role.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a weakness you have   View Answer
    There was no negotiation stage as such, the wage structure was clear before the interview. Due to no previous experience of the exact job role i was started at the lower end of the pay spectrum.