University of Edinburgh

Relevance Date Difficulty

Resident Assistant Interview

Resident Assistant
Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I interviewed at University of Edinburgh in March 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was very straightforward, proceeding from a CV and short essay round to a personal reflection/expression piece meant to showcase the applicants personality. It is important that this project reflects the three core values Accommodation Services seeks in Resident Assistants, and the strongest applications are always the ones that address these values clearly.

Interview Question – I was asked what I would do to assist freshman residents who are underage and cannot legally consume alcohol, or who have a disability and cannot engage in physically strenuous activity, etc.   View Answer

Postdoctoral

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Edinburgh.

Interview Details – Very good initial communication, accommodating when I delayed the start date. Paid for all travel and accommodation for a large panel of candidates

Interview Question – Nothing exceptionally hard   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I chose not to negotiate

Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at University of Edinburgh in March 2011.

Interview Details – Applied to a posted postion. Followed up with a Skype conversation with Professor directly. Hired 2 days later.

Interview Question – Question related to scientific question Professor was studying.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Professor - Do you want the job?
Me - Yes I want the job.
Professor - Good, you'll get the standard postdoc salary, whatever that is.
Me - OK.

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Human Resources Assistant
Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Edinburgh in October 2012.

Interview Details – The interview was a panel of 3, they were all friendly and reassuring, tried to make the process as easy as possible. They don't try and trick you and want to help you give the best possible interview you can. It was an overwhelmingly positive experience (Although still a litlle nervewracking!).

Negotiation Details – Easy, helpful and transparent

Very Easy Interview

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate
Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Edinburgh in April 2012.

Interview Details – Applied through the regular channels but knew my current supervisor already. Opening statement in the interview: We want you. What do we need to do to make you say yes?

Negotiation Details – Being an academic institution, pay ranges are fairly rigid, but I was able to negotiate for relocation expenses.

Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

The process took a day - interviewed at University of Edinburgh in November 2011.

Interview Details – a presentation of your research work about 30 minutes + 15 minus of questions.

then, talk about the postdoc project, my education background, benefice of the post etc.

Interview Question – a presentation of your work   View Answer

Senior Clerical Assistant Interview

Senior Clerical Assistant
Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Edinburgh in May 2009.

Interview Details – The period of time between application and interview was very short. The interview itself was in front of a 3 person panel with each having equal input. Questions were fairly straight forward and the interviewers were friendly. The majority of the questions related to my previous experienc e and required me to give past examples to highlight an abilityor abilities that would be required in my new role.

Interview Question – Give an example of a weakness you have   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation stage as such, the wage structure was clear before the interview. Due to no previous experience of the exact job role i was started at the lower end of the pay spectrum.

Worked for University of Edinburgh? Contribute to the Community!