University of Essex Interview Questions

Updated Mar 15, 2015

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of Essex

Student Recruitment Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colchester, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Essex in February 2015.

Very lengthy application form typical for Higher Education institutes.
    Supporting statement is crucial but requires a lot of time and effort to write.

Interview was 2 stages: First stage Presentation about how you would promote the university and drive student recruitment. Maximum 10 minutes, no PowerPoint. Second stage was panel interview with 5 members. They briefly went over my past experiences but most questions were job or HE specific. If you don't have prior student recruitment experience, you will struggle in the interview stage.

Fairly friendly but arrogant panel. Not the worst but definitely below average. Most of them had worked at the university for 10+ years and the newer members were alumni so good luck trying to get a job if you are not an Essex alumni.

Most disappointing part total lack of feedback. Found out I didn't get the job from auto-generated robot email. Considering how much time you have to put into applying, writing supporting statements, researching the university and planning marketing plan / presentation, you would think the least they could do is spend 5 minutes of their time on a phone call to give you some personal feedback. I understand not being able to do that for candidates that don't make shortlisting, but is it really so difficult to call 5 candidates? Maybe that's a reflection of the working environment?

Shortlisting took 4 weeks. Found out about the panel's decision one week after interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a creative solution you came up with for a problem.   Answer Question
    • Who is in charge the university or the agent?   Answer Question
    • What is your experience of working with data to drive sales?   Answer Question

Lecturer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Essex in July 2013.

15 minute teaching to a group of prospective colleagues within the department + panel interview with 6 or 7 members of different functions within the university/department.
    Questions related to own research, teaching experience, career plans, fit with the organization, challenges in the industry, potential avenues for inter-disciplinary research within the university, potential for research funding, willingness to teach related themes of interest.

Interview Questions
    • Theory focus during the interview, which I had expected to be covered during the presentation to the group, but not during the formal interview.   View Answer
    I asked for a modest amount of extra pay, and got it.

Night Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colchester, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at University of Essex in September 2010.

I applied on line and was asked to go for an interview. I went to the interview which was with one person, probably the department manager. The interview wasn't very long, about an hour.
    It was basically about the job, tasks, health and safety etc.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if some students fought outside the shop   Answer Question

Research Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colchester, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Essex in June 2010.

Brief 30-45 minutes interview on technical skills and motivation. 2 out of the 3 panel members looked like they have already made their decision from the very beginning of the interview and weren't interested in anything I was saying :-( . Instead the third one was more "alive" and interested in administering a proper interview (challenging questions, some interests for my previous jobs, etc.)

Interview Questions
    • Describe your experience in C++ and Java.   View Answer