University of Georgia Interview Questions

Updated Jun 21, 2015

2.2

Public Relations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Georgia (Athens, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted to schedule a Skype interview. The panel I interviewed with via Skype consisted of my prospective boss, members of the department, other PR coordinators, and the vice president in the relevant area. After the Skype interview, I was contacted to schedule an in-person interview. I was coming from quite a distance, so UGA took care of my hotel accommodations and reimbursed me for my travel and meals. I had done several interviews with competitors (UT, Clemson, etc.) who had not done that, so that meant a lot to me. I had a full day of interviews and toured the facilities of the department. I interviewed with the director, the associate directors, the student team, and the search committee. I also had to give a presentation to the entire department. It was an exhausting day, but really allowed me to see what the position would be like. I got an offer and accepted it.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your marketing pet peeves?   1 Answer

4-H Camp Counselor Interview

Interview

Extensive background checks and physical activity, the interview process is a question section as well as tests to see your level of enthusiasm and stamina. It is a fun but stressful interview

Lab Technician Interview

Interview

those are really nice people who wont make you feel nerves. I have the whole lab interviewed me, each one of them asked a question. after that, they asked me see if i have any question for the lab. then a lab tour followed by the interview.

Procurement Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at University of Georgia.

Interview

I applied for the job in June but didn't get an interview until October. They didn't let me know I got the job until November. I attempted to negotiate salary as I felt I should have been paid more than the intro rate as I have an advanced degree, but was told there would be no negotiation as it would create "salary inequity" among the others in the same position. This is a disadvantage of working for the government, as everyone's salary is public knowledge.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to explain what my biggest failure was at my current job (at the time).   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation as they weren't willing to negotiate. In fact, I originally turned the job down but by January I was looking to make a change and they still had not filled the position.

Faculty Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Georgia (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

PostgreSQL allows you to write stored procedures and functions in several programming languages, and the architecture allows you the flexibility to support more languages. Example languages that you can write stored functions in are SQL (built-in), PL/pgSQL (built-in), PL/Perl, PL/Python, PL/Java, and PL/R, to name a few, most of which are packaged with many distributions. This support for a wide variety of languages allows you to solve problems best addressed with a domain or more procedural language; for example, using R statistics functions and R succinct domain idioms to solve statistics problems; calling a web service via Python; or writing map-reduce constructs and then using these functions within an SQL statement. You can even write aggregate functions in any of these languages that makes the combination more powerful than you can achieve in any one, straight language environment. In addition to these languages, you can write functions in C and make them callable, just like any other stored function. You can have functions written in several different languages participating in one query. You can even define aggregate functions with nothing but SQL. Unlike MySQL and SQL Server, no compilation is required to build an aggregate function in PostgreSQL. So, in short, you can use the right tool for the job even if each sub-part of a job requires a different tool; you can use plain SQL in areas where most other databases won’t let you. You can create fairly sophisticated functions without having to compile anything. The custom type support of PostgreSQL is sophisticated and very easy to use, rivaling and often outperforming most other relational databases. The closest competitor in terms of custom type support is Oracle. You can define new data types in PostgreSQL that can then be used as a table column. Every data type has a companion array type so that you can store an array of a type in a data column or use it in an SQL statement. In addition to the ability of defining new types, you can also define operators, functions, and index bindings to work with these. Many third-party extensions for PostgreSQL take advantage of these fairly unique features to achieve performance speeds, provide domain specific constructs to allow shorter and more maintainable code, and accomplish tasks you can only fantasize about in other databases.

Interview Questions

• The custom type support of PostgreSQL is sophisticated and very easy to use, rivaling and often outperforming most other relational databases. The closest competitor in terms of custom type support is Oracle. You can define new data types in PostgreSQL that can then be used as a table column. Every data type has a companion array type so that you can store an array of a type in a data column or use it in an SQL statement. In addition to the ability of defining new types, you can also define operators, functions, and index bindings to work with these. Many third-party extensions for PostgreSQL take advantage of these fairly unique features to achieve performance speeds, provide domain specific constructs to allow shorter and more maintainable code, and accomplish tasks you can only fantasize about in other databases.   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Athens, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Georgia (Athens, GA) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied in November 2014, and and learned about the on-site interview in around christmas 2014. I was asked to choose dates for visiting. I selected mid-jury. It was extremely exhaustive. For continuously two days I had to meet people and talks in between.

Student Assistant - Maps and Government Library Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Georgia (Athens, GA).

Interview

I applied through DAWG link and they notified me by phone to schedule an interview. Most questions were pretty basic. The person interviewing you went down a list of very general questions. Mostly asked about your schedule, what previous work experience you held, how you work with/without supervision, what major are you and why. They talked about what they expect of you at work, just general guidelines you have to follow. Very simple.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Minimum wage.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of Georgia (Athens, GA).

Interview

I only had a phone call, where my prospective boss basically used the time to sell me the job rather than have me answer too many questions, so it was rather unconventional. I was applying from a different country so I'm sure that if I were there I would have had to attend an interview in person.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Non-negotiable

Research Professional III Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Georgia.

Interview

Took about two months from submission of resume to call for interview. Had the interview and was offered the position within 24 hours. Interview was a panel interview with eight other members of the staff, and covered every possible angle of the position.

Interview Questions

• Theoretical question on how to handle a research project within the college that was not actually part of the job description.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Received offer, countered at $6K higher, was accepted and ran through HR. HR approval took two weeks, start date was a week later.

Resident Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Georgia.

Interview

About 3 hours long of both oral and written interviews. There are usually a lot of people who you will compete for a position. Make the most of it. Be yourself and be confident.