University of Hawai'i

11 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

IT Specialist Interview

IT Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Hawai'i.

Interview Details – Application process is extensive including answering questions as to how you meet minimum and desired qualifications.

Interview Question – What's your experience with COBOL?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little room for negotiation.

IT Specialist Interview

IT Specialist

Interview Details – The process is different depending on which department you work for. I applied for the same position in two different places. Sometimes your interview will be all technical. I ended up having an additional interview that was more customer-service related. Just know your stuff :)
I had nice interviewers, thank goodness.

Interview Question – The most difficult question I've ever had (and it wasn't difficult in a hard/easy way, but in a what do I do?! way) was when I was asked how I would act if I was working with the angry President of the school, but had to leave due to scheduling conflict. It was just awkward.   View Answer

Student Assistant Interview

Student Assistant
Honolulu, HI

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at University of Hawai'i in July 2013.

Interview Details – Online school wide campus search engine makes finding employment easy. Just have resume ready and be willing to follow up with prospective employers. Be courteous and respectful and you should get far. The process is designed for students so nobody is looking for the next genius...

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant
Honolulu, HI

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Hawai'i in April 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was challenging. It is good to go well prepared by reading the information about the research projects.

Interview Question – When asked about specific questions relating to the research.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, students do not have that privilege. We can given a certain pay scale based on work experience.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Honolulu, HI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Hawai'i in February 2012.

Interview Details – I saw a listing on SECE and responded to the ad via email as per the directions. It took over a month for her to respond, but saw my qualifications and basically offered me the job via email. I went in to meet the professor and she explained the details of what she wanted me to do for her and offered me the chance to decline or accept.

Interview Questions

Instructional and Student Support Interview

Instructional and Student Support
Honolulu, HI

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Hawai'i in January 2012.

Interview Details – Upon seeing the position announcement online and realizing that it was closing the next day, I immediately mailed in my cover letter and resume to ensure next day delivery. Two months later, I received a phone call from a member of the hiring department for a 60 minute interview the following month; it was around the holiday season. Of course, I accepted. During next month, I prepared for the interview by reflecting on my own experiences working with students and programs, as well as researching more about the department, their programs/students/staff, and the University. I also contacted those individuals who I knew who worked there for their insider's point of view. The phone interview was conducted by a committee of staff and students. It was kind of disorganized, but I didn't let that affected me. I was asked all kinds of questions from student development, developing strategic relationships, event planning, leadership, etc. I didn't realize it, but this was the only and one interview that was going to happen. I would ensure that whenever applying, you ask the hiring department about the selection process. If I had known this beforehand, I would have prepared a little bit differently and answered questions more fully. When interviewing, interview like it's the one and only one - some sound advice. A couple of weeks later when following up with my candidacy status, they asked for more references to be contacted, since they couldn't get in touch with those individuals on my original list. I know that they contacted these individuals same day. A week later, I received a letter in the mail saying that I would not move on in the process.

Interview Question – Student Development, Event Planning, Leadership   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant
Honolulu, HI

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Hawai'i in November 2009.

Interview Details – phone interview. Talked about my previous experience, then talked about the PI's lab

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you made a listak in the lab, and how did you go about fixing the problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, salaries are pretty muchset

Instructor Interview

Instructor
Honolulu, HI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Hawai'i in June 2009.

Interview Details – Knowing someone who already works for the University really greases the gears. I assume they checked my resume but the interview was mostly a description of the courses I was going to be teaching.

Interview Question – How comfortable are you in a culturally and linguistically mixed classroom and how will you handle the communication issues that will arise from the mix?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation possible. The budgets are all set the prior year and they are not flexible.

Academic Support Interview

Academic Support
Hawaii (Guatemala)

I applied in-person and the process took 4 months - interviewed at University of Hawai'i in November 2010.

Interview Details – Initial communication
I responded to an open position announcement. The most important thing to remember at this stage is to turn in a complete application. That may include; driver's license, copies of official transcripts, application, resume, and statement.

Planning
I prepared the way I would for any job interview. Learn about the organization. Learn about the program, department, project you are applying for. Dress professionally. Bring anything you might need with you to the interview. A note pad, pen, copies of your resume (for your reference or to give to interviewers), and your questions are all good to have. You should plan to answer question mostly based on the job description and your ability to perform the duties or how you meet the qualifications.

Number of interviews
I went through two interviews. One with a committee and one with the administrator in charge of the area I applied to. The difficulty of the interview can largely depend on who is interviewing you.

Perception of people & environment
The interviewers were very cordial and polite. The interview was conducted in a classroom. So it was comfortable, but spare.

Interview Question – Paraphrase: Please describe a situation where you have had to significantly alter course in the middle of a project.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate. The offer was fair.

Postdoctoral Interview

Postdoctoral

The process took 4 days - interviewed at University of Hawai'i in April 2009.

Interview Details – I was invited to interview by my prospective supervisor, who detailed the project I was going to work on, while she "tested" my abilities by running through a backlog of samples they had.

Interview Question – What can you offer my lab?   Answer Question

Worked for University of Hawai'i? Contribute to the Community!