University of Hawai'i Interview Questions

Updated Aug 15, 2015

2.4

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Hawai'i (Honolulu, HI).

Interview

Skype interview with Principal Investigator. She called me on skype and asked me a number of questions regarding why I wanted the position and told me about her research interests. Things went down hill for me when she started asking about the ring she could see on my finger, my marriage status, and what my husband would be doing. It didn't come off like friendly chit-chat, but rather that I was being evaluated based on my marriage status (marriage=bad). I was highly qualified for this position, and I'm certain that she didn't call me back because of my marriage status. Which is deplorable, but I was turned off that she would even ask me that so I was fine to not be considered further.

Interview Questions

• I see you have a ring, are you married? What is your husband going to do if you get this job (we would be relocating to Hawaii)?   1 Answer

Assistant Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Hawai'i.

Interview

hired through either UH or RCUH, they have 2 human resources as they are both inefficient. All adverts are placed online either at work@uh or RCUH.com. potential applicants are then sent back to the hiring manager for review.

Interview Questions

• Really depends on the type of job you are going for academic or otherwise   Answer Question

Negotiation

You get what they offer.

IT Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Hawai'i.

Interview

Application process is extensive including answering questions as to how you meet minimum and desired qualifications.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Little room for negotiation.

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Hawai'i (Honolulu, HI) in April 2014.

Interview

Talk to the lab coordinator and do paperwork, but have to apply through a form which was posted on the university website. I was an undergraduate in the department, and the department offered a teaching internship for credit, so I did that first to get some experience.

IT Specialist Interview

Application

Interview

The process is different depending on which department you work for. I applied for the same position in two different places. Sometimes your interview will be all technical. I ended up having an additional interview that was more customer-service related. Just know your stuff :) I had nice interviewers, thank goodness.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question I've ever had (and it wasn't difficult in a hard/easy way, but in a what do I do?! way) was when I was asked how I would act if I was working with the angry President of the school, but had to leave due to scheduling conflict. It was just awkward.   1 Answer

Informal Recreation Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Hawai'i (Honolulu, HI) in October 2013.

Interview

Very easy. Just had to submit an online application to the job on sece. Was called in by a manager and interview was held outside the office. It's good to have some experience to talk about either in a gym, outdoors, or in general customer service. I was pretty much hired on the spot and signed a bit more papers to put me on the payroll, etc.

Interview Questions

• What were your previous experiences? What would you do with an unruly patron?   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Hawai'i (Honolulu, HI) in July 2013.

Interview

Online school wide campus search engine makes finding employment easy. Just have resume ready and be willing to follow up with prospective employers. Be courteous and respectful and you should get far. The process is designed for students so nobody is looking for the next genius...

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Hawai'i (Honolulu, HI) in February 2012.

Interview

I saw a listing on SECE and responded to the ad via email as per the directions. It took over a month for her to respond, but saw my qualifications and basically offered me the job via email. I went in to meet the professor and she explained the details of what she wanted me to do for her and offered me the chance to decline or accept.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience looking up things in databases?   1 Answer
    • Can you use Excel?   1 Answer

Instructional and Student Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Hawai'i (Honolulu, HI) in January 2012.

Interview

Upon seeing the position announcement online and realizing that it was closing the next day, I immediately mailed in my cover letter and resume to ensure next day delivery. Two months later, I received a phone call from a member of the hiring department for a 60 minute interview the following month; it was around the holiday season. Of course, I accepted. During next month, I prepared for the interview by reflecting on my own experiences working with students and programs, as well as researching more about the department, their programs/students/staff, and the University. I also contacted those individuals who I knew who worked there for their insider's point of view. The phone interview was conducted by a committee of staff and students. It was kind of disorganized, but I didn't let that affected me. I was asked all kinds of questions from student development, developing strategic relationships, event planning, leadership, etc. I didn't realize it, but this was the only and one interview that was going to happen. I would ensure that whenever applying, you ask the hiring department about the selection process. If I had known this beforehand, I would have prepared a little bit differently and answered questions more fully. When interviewing, interview like it's the one and only one - some sound advice. A couple of weeks later when following up with my candidacy status, they asked for more references to be contacted, since they couldn't get in touch with those individuals on my original list. I know that they contacted these individuals same day. A week later, I received a letter in the mail saying that I would not move on in the process.

Student Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Hawai'i (Honolulu, HI) in July 2011.

Interview

I got an interview soon after I sent in my application. This student ambassador program is new and they were looking for students to fill up these positions. I spoke with the supervisor in her office for about 30 minutes. She asked me why I'm interested in the position and what I could offer to the office.