University of Hawai'i Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014
11 interviews

2.4

IT Specialist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Hawai'i.

Application process is extensive including answering questions as to how you meet minimum and desired qualifications.

Interview Questions
    Little room for negotiation.

IT Specialist Interview

The process is different depending on which department you work for. I applied for the same position in two different places. Sometimes your interview will be all technical. I ended up having an additional interview that was more customer-service related. Just know your stuff :)
    I had nice interviewers, thank goodness.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I've ever had (and it wasn't difficult in a hard/easy way, but in a what do I do?! way) was when I was asked how I would act if I was working with the angry President of the school, but had to leave due to scheduling conflict. It was just awkward.   View Answer

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at University of Hawai'i in July 2013.

Online school wide campus search engine makes finding employment easy. Just have resume ready and be willing to follow up with prospective employers. Be courteous and respectful and you should get far. The process is designed for students so nobody is looking for the next genius...

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Hawai'i in April 2010.

The interview was challenging. It is good to go well prepared by reading the information about the research projects.

Interview Questions
    • When asked about specific questions relating to the research.   Answer Question
    No, students do not have that privilege. We can given a certain pay scale based on work experience.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Hawai'i in February 2012.

I saw a listing on SECE and responded to the ad via email as per the directions. It took over a month for her to respond, but saw my qualifications and basically offered me the job via email. I went in to meet the professor and she explained the details of what she wanted me to do for her and offered me the chance to decline or accept.

Instructional and Student Support Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Hawai'i in January 2012.

Upon seeing the position announcement online and realizing that it was closing the next day, I immediately mailed in my cover letter and resume to ensure next day delivery. Two months later, I received a phone call from a member of the hiring department for a 60 minute interview the following month; it was around the holiday season. Of course, I accepted. During next month, I prepared for the interview by reflecting on my own experiences working with students and programs, as well as researching more about the department, their programs/students/staff, and the University. I also contacted those individuals who I knew who worked there for their insider's point of view. The phone interview was conducted by a committee of staff and students. It was kind of disorganized, but I didn't let that affected me. I was asked all kinds of questions from student development, developing strategic relationships, event planning, leadership, etc. I didn't realize it, but this was the only and one interview that was going to happen. I would ensure that whenever applying, you ask the hiring department about the selection process. If I had known this beforehand, I would have prepared a little bit differently and answered questions more fully. When interviewing, interview like it's the one and only one - some sound advice. A couple of weeks later when following up with my candidacy status, they asked for more references to be contacted, since they couldn't get in touch with those individuals on my original list. I know that they contacted these individuals same day. A week later, I received a letter in the mail saying that I would not move on in the process.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Hawai'i in November 2009.

phone interview. Talked about my previous experience, then talked about the PI's lab

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you made a listak in the lab, and how did you go about fixing the problem.   Answer Question
    No negotiations, salaries are pretty muchset

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Hawai'i in June 2009.

Knowing someone who already works for the University really greases the gears. I assume they checked my resume but the interview was mostly a description of the courses I was going to be teaching.

Interview Questions
    • How comfortable are you in a culturally and linguistically mixed classroom and how will you handle the communication issues that will arise from the mix?   Answer Question
    No negotiation possible. The budgets are all set the prior year and they are not flexible.

Academic Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hawaii (Guatemala)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawaii (Guatemala)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4 months - interviewed at University of Hawai'i in November 2010.

Initial communication
    I responded to an open position announcement. The most important thing to remember at this stage is to turn in a complete application. That may include; driver's license, copies of official transcripts, application, resume, and statement.

Planning
    I prepared the way I would for any job interview. Learn about the organization. Learn about the program, department, project you are applying for. Dress professionally. Bring anything you might need with you to the interview. A note pad, pen, copies of your resume (for your reference or to give to interviewers), and your questions are all good to have. You should plan to answer question mostly based on the job description and your ability to perform the duties or how you meet the qualifications.

Number of interviews
    I went through two interviews. One with a committee and one with the administrator in charge of the area I applied to. The difficulty of the interview can largely depend on who is interviewing you.

Perception of people & environment
    The interviewers were very cordial and polite. The interview was conducted in a classroom. So it was comfortable, but spare.

Interview Questions
    • Paraphrase: Please describe a situation where you have had to significantly alter course in the middle of a project.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate. The offer was fair.

Postdoctoral Interview

The process took 4 days - interviewed at University of Hawai'i in April 2009.

I was invited to interview by my prospective supervisor, who detailed the project I was going to work on, while she "tested" my abilities by running through a backlog of samples they had.

Interview Questions

Worked for University of Hawai'i? Contribute to the Community!