University of Illinois at Chicago

Relevance Date Difficulty

Program Coordinator Interview

Program Coordinator
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago in February 2014.

Interview Details – The initial communication from the hiring manager came quickly after submitting my application. I went through a Skype interview and at the end we set up a face to face interview in office. I was told to set aside three hours for the interview. The face to face interview was with all members of the department. I met with either one or two people at a time in 30 minute phases. They all seemed very pleasant and I could tell they were a tight knit group. The interview process took around two and half months, which was unexpected because of the time frame they laid out in the face to face interview.

Interview Question – Unexpected: What would a co-worker say is your best quality?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago.

Interview Details – Two good two hour interviews with my boss over Skype. Postdoctoral Research Associate opportunities are often sent around researchers contacts lists and often aren't obviously visible online. Similarly I was refereed to this post by a Prof I know at another Chicago university. My process was a presentation of my previous work to date and then so chat about the type of science we wanted to do at UIC.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult beyond research is difficult!   Answer Question

Office Administrative Assistant Interview

Office Administrative Assistant
Chicago, IL

I applied online - interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago in August 2013.

Interview Details – Civil Service, must fill out application online and request an exam. Based on how you score on exam is where you go on list. You get a letter in the mail with your number on the list (1 or 200 - depends on amount of people applying). Then applications close.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Received phone call and letter and called and said "yes, I'll take it". Salary at the low end of the recommended pay bracket.

Groundsworker Interview

Groundsworker
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago in February 2010.

Interview Details – On the first day of interviews, you are asked mainly ethics questions. They are testing whether or not you are prepared to work effectively and efficiently on your own as well as with a partner. The main bulk of work is done remotely and away from management, so one must be diligent with their own work ethic

Interview Question – Will you be able to work weekends   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

Teaching Assistant
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago.

Interview Details – 1-1

Interview Question – how will u use your skills   Answer Question

Senior Associate Director of DOnor Relations Interview

Senior Associate Director of DOnor Relations
Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago in November 2009.

Interview Details – There's been a hiring freeze here forever. They get around it by bringing in "visiting" specialists who can then become full employees.

Interview Question – I really didn't interview for this position. I was moving to Chicago and needed a job. I got in touch with a connection from the job I had left who brought me in as a "visitor." After nine months, I got a token offer for another job and they quickly removed my visiting status.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary info and levels are public, so there really isn't any negotiation unless yhour being hired in as tip-top administration.

Resident Director Interview

Resident Director
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago.

Interview Details – Interview process is an overnight stay (arrive for dinner with staff, student staff, and faculty staff), then interviews with various staff (Resident Directors through Director) until around 3PM. Decision really lies with Director, perhaps Assistant/Associate Director, and MAYBE Area Coordinator.

Interview Question – Question about programming model - UIC does not have a program model, but instead desires residents to conduct programming after 6 weeks of intensive programming by student staff.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a very small raise in salary. Salary in Residence Life jobs, especially starter ones like Resident Director, is very inflexible.

Resident Assistant Interview

Resident Assistant
Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 4 months - interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago in January 2011.

Interview Details – There are 2 interviews, an individual and a group interview. The individual interview is done with a current staff member and their supervisor (usually a SRA, SPM, or RD). The group interview is done in 3 parts. You are placed in groups of 8-12 and given 3 different tasks. A group of staff members are assigned to watch 1-3 of the interviewees and record their contributions. Each of these interviews are given a score and placed into a computer to rank people.

Interview Question – Group interviews ask easy tasks like putting a list of 8 residents in order of most likely to cause trouble to least likely. It becomes difficult to work together to accomplish group interview tasks.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You do not negotiate, you are paid by experience.

Research Intern Interview

Research Intern
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago in January 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview-> In-Person interview.

Interview Question – Can you do the same thing repeatedly for hours?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Make the first offer.

Graduate Assistant Interview

Graduate Assistant
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago in August 2012.

Interview Details – A simple interview about your past experieces and related to the postion

Interview Question – Asked to develop a website template on the spot   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of Illinois at Chicago

Worked for University of Illinois at Chicago? Contribute to the Community!