University of Illinois at Chicago

Updated Feb 13, 2015

2.6

Course Systems and Technical Supportg Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago.

The interview process took some time as the Institute looks into new resumes depending upon their need. I had applied in August and I got a call in the last week of September.
    The interview process was very smooth and precise.

It was completely related to my resume. The usual questions of Technical Support - computer troubleshooting, blackboard programming and usage, hard drive troubleshooting, HDD encryption, Network printer setup, Assembly of computers and new laptops etc.

Certain specific questions about behavior - a hypothetical situation of how I can resolve multiple issues, how I would tackle a problem given I don't know the remedy for the issue etc.

Interview Questions
    • Computer troubleshooting, Windows operating system questions, Cloud storage management, Programming in C, C++, Network printer installation and maintenance   Answer Question

Graduate Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago.

They were hiring a nice guy. So, the interview process is very simple. I am IT guy, and they are looking for someone who can handle their IT issues. I can drive, they need a guy to deliver sometimes. I know mandarin, they are serving a lot of Asian students. That's all.

Nothing

Coordinator, Grants and Contracts Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago.

There was a brief phone interview, where I was asked some preliminary questions about my experience and work ethic. I was also asked what my salary requirement was at this point. The phone interview was followed by an invitation to visit campus, to which they university kindly paid the airfare. This second interview was essentially two steps, one with a staff committee and another with faculty. Everyone was gracious (breakfast was catered!) and also some very good questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the format of my typical monthly grant funding report. Tough one.   Answer Question

The offer came in way too low and there was virtually no room for negotiation. This is common for university work, at least for staff. But I was still disappointed. I suspect the department was capped by the previous person's salary.

Network Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago.

Applied online. Received a invitation for interview. Interviewer asked personality questions and other work experience questions. Some knowledge based questions. The interview was really easy and nothing about questions regarding technical skill were coming from left field. Everything was straight forward.

Research Position, Temporary Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago.

I had worked with the PI previously. I was coming to workforce after a gap of three years following the birth of my son. I had emailed the professor about my keen interest. I stopped by to meet him casually. We talked about the projects I would work on.

Interview Questions
    I really did not have any other choice.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago.

Two good two hour interviews with my boss over Skype. Postdoctoral Research Associate opportunities are often sent around researchers contacts lists and often aren't obviously visible online. Similarly I was refereed to this post by a Prof I know at another Chicago university. My process was a presentation of my previous work to date and then so chat about the type of science we wanted to do at UIC.

Teaching Assistant Interview

i was hired as a graduate student assistant, and i wanted to teach and asked my graduate advisor about that, and the position was vacant, and I applied.

Research Specialist In Health Science Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago.

Semi-formal. One on one general telephonic interview and on-site interview scheduling. Onsite interview was 1:1 with the PI. Discussion about the ongoing researches in the PI's lab, inquiries about previous experiences listed on the resume. Questions involved a few behavioral types just to gauge the applicant's motivation and capabilities. Interview lasted for little more than an hour. Job offered the next day.

Budgets are tight and salary scales are followed based on the funding organization's or the university's compensation policies.

Business Associate Interview

Standard interview questions, took a long time to get a response. They later hired their own person whom they wanted. The interview process was just to fulfill the equal opportunity requirements. I later learnt that most positions at UIC that are advertised are fake and they have an internal candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Are you good at training and mentoring senior staff in systems as we have people with 20-25 years experience at UIC and don't have the inclination to learn anything.   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago.

I applied to this position in March and thought that I did not get the position when I got a phone call back in May. I did the phone interview and had 2 in person interviews

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were your basic interview questions. Nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question