University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Graduate Research Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2014
Updated Jul 30, 2014

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Apply through University admission website. Requires a moderate to high GRE. A good GPA is also required along with 100+ TOEFL score. Publication records are always adding extra value.

Other Interview Reviews for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Phone/skype interviews...will ask about your past experiences and research

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I was given an small project before the offer was made. The project was related to the research I gonna do when I joined the lab. The professor made the offer after I delivered the results.

Interview Questions
    • The professor gave me a programming project and expected me to complete within a week. He also had me to complete a literature review and make a powerpoint presentation on the research topic I will begin with in his lab.   View Answer
    The GRA stipend was standard.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

High GPA, especially in the coursework of your major.
    Good recommendation letters from at least three professors.
    Good research experiments recommended.

Interview Questions
    • no unexpected questions. Bring your resume to professors. Read their papers beforehand.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in May 2012.

Number of Interviews: 1
    Method: Skype, after being accepted by department, that was the interview to be accepted into research group to be funded with tuition waiver and monthly salary
    Duration: 30 minutes
    Content: previous experiences in the related research area, honors, GPA

Interview Questions
    • How do your experiences make you a good fit for this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in April 2011.

First got admitted to the department based on academic standing (mostly GPA and some research background), and then chose an advisor. The choice was fixed after an individual interview with one of his students to inspect my knowledge background. It was not hard to find an advisor after being formally admitted to the program.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Getting this position requires having an advisor (or finding one) who needs graduate students to do the work. Already being a part of the University is "bonus points" as the faculty already know who you are and are familiar with any other work you may have done. This does not mean that coming from outside the University is a detriment, it just may take a little more work at proving your worth.

Interview Questions
    • I did not have an unexpected question as my interview was pretty much me asking my advisor if he needed work, he said yes, I asked if I could do it, and he said yes again.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation phase in the department. You get the same rate as all the other grad researchers. Those of us who worked at the sattalite lab out in Rantoul also got a gas bonus.