University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

www.uiuc.edu
Unclaimed Profile

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Graduate Research Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Aug 14, 2015

2.8

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Apply through University admission website. Requires a moderate to high GRE. A good GPA is also required along with 100+ TOEFL score. Publication records are always adding extra value.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Interview

Phone/skype interviews...will ask about your past experiences and research

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Interview

I was given an small project before the offer was made. The project was related to the research I gonna do when I joined the lab. The professor made the offer after I delivered the results.

Interview Questions

• The professor gave me a programming project and expected me to complete within a week. He also had me to complete a literature review and make a powerpoint presentation on the research topic I will begin with in his lab.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The GRA stipend was standard.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Interview

High GPA, especially in the coursework of your major. Good recommendation letters from at least three professors. Good research experiments recommended.

Interview Questions

• no unexpected questions. Bring your resume to professors. Read their papers beforehand.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Champaign, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

I got contacted by two professors from the department in separate times. It went well, their approach was constructive and I made my decision right after I hung up the phone.

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Champaign, IL) in May 2012.

Interview

Number of Interviews: 1 Method: Skype, after being accepted by department, that was the interview to be accepted into research group to be funded with tuition waiver and monthly salary Duration: 30 minutes Content: previous experiences in the related research area, honors, GPA

Interview Questions

• How do your experiences make you a good fit for this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Urbana, IL) in July 2011.

Interview

I emailed my adviser and had a brief interview with him. Learned about what he does and explained my background. The interview was very laid back and smooth. I also had a lab tour and got to see all the techniques that he has developed. The interview ended within 30 minutes.

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Champaign, IL) in April 2011.

Interview

First got admitted to the department based on academic standing (mostly GPA and some research background), and then chose an advisor. The choice was fixed after an individual interview with one of his students to inspect my knowledge background. It was not hard to find an advisor after being formally admitted to the program.

Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Urbana, IL) in February 2011.

Interview

It was very cordial and professional. The process took a week in which I was able to meet several possible professors with whom I was a possible match. The university provides housing, meals and transportation during that time. It is ideal to come to the interview process with a designed project or idea of whom and what to work on during the graduate program.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is not a negotiation phase other than the opportunity that you get to meet and discuss with the adviser the possible projects to work on.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Interview

Getting this position requires having an advisor (or finding one) who needs graduate students to do the work. Already being a part of the University is "bonus points" as the faculty already know who you are and are familiar with any other work you may have done. This does not mean that coming from outside the University is a detriment, it just may take a little more work at proving your worth.

Interview Questions

• I did not have an unexpected question as my interview was pretty much me asking my advisor if he needed work, he said yes, I asked if I could do it, and he said yes again.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation phase in the department. You get the same rate as all the other grad researchers. Those of us who worked at the sattalite lab out in Rantoul also got a gas bonus.