University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
www.uiuc.edu Champaign, IL 500 to 999 Employees

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Graduate Research Assistant Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated May 11, 2014

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Interview Details – Apply through University admission website. Requires a moderate to high GRE. A good GPA is also required along with 100+ TOEFL score. Publication records are always adding extra value.

Interview Question – Getting high GRE and GPA.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Interview Details – Phone/skype interviews...will ask about your past experiences and research

Interview Question – How will be your research different from master's?   Answer Question

Interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Interview Details – I was given an small project before the offer was made. The project was related to the research I gonna do when I joined the lab. The professor made the offer after I delivered the results.

Interview Question – The professor gave me a programming project and expected me to complete within a week. He also had me to complete a literature review and make a powerpoint presentation on the research topic I will begin with in his lab.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The GRA stipend was standard.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Interview Details – High GPA, especially in the coursework of your major.
Good recommendation letters from at least three professors.
Good research experiments recommended.

Interview Question – no unexpected questions. Bring your resume to professors. Read their papers beforehand.   Answer Question

Champaign, IL

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in May 2012.

Interview Details – Number of Interviews: 1
Method: Skype, after being accepted by department, that was the interview to be accepted into research group to be funded with tuition waiver and monthly salary
Duration: 30 minutes
Content: previous experiences in the related research area, honors, GPA

Interview Question – How do your experiences make you a good fit for this position?   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Interview Details – Getting this position requires having an advisor (or finding one) who needs graduate students to do the work. Already being a part of the University is "bonus points" as the faculty already know who you are and are familiar with any other work you may have done. This does not mean that coming from outside the University is a detriment, it just may take a little more work at proving your worth.

Interview Question – I did not have an unexpected question as my interview was pretty much me asking my advisor if he needed work, he said yes, I asked if I could do it, and he said yes again.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation phase in the department. You get the same rate as all the other grad researchers. Those of us who worked at the sattalite lab out in Rantoul also got a gas bonus.

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Worked for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Graduate Research Assistant interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign employees and interview candidates.