University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2015

2.6

Faculty Interview

Interview

Illinois follows the standard academic process: First, there is an initial interview, usually at meetings. Second, there is a campus visit with a seminar and appointments with faculty. You also meet graduate students. Candidates are asked about their current research and future plans, as well as about their teaching interests.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Urbana, IL).

Interview

This was a typical Panel interview. Search Committee were from different department. They did a good job to break the ice and questioned on communication and programming skills, data base experience.

Interview Questions

• What’s your recent job? What do you do in recent job?
      Do you know parallel computing?

Answer Question

Structural Engineer Interview

Interview

Search the details about it. Send email to see whether you can discuss it. See the person and talk with confidence. After that go to your job. Try to work hard and get well with workmates.

Lab Assistant Interview

Interview

Talking with professors about my program skills and telling whether or not I could be able to attend multiple slots to hold office hours and discussion sections. Also, I need to demonstrate my strong assembly language debuging skills since this job requires me to fix bugs for lc3 assembly code for students with different background. It also asks me to show strong C program skills.

Interview Questions

Interview

Case Interview. I was given a random case, and I had to analyze it as detailedly as possible. It was quite challenging for candidates without previous experience because it requires intuition of market and tight logic.

Student Assistant Interview

Interview

I work at the Campus University Libraries and the hiring and interview process was great! I submitted my application on the online UIUC library website, filled out the questions, and chose my library preferences. I then went into each of the libraries with my resume and availability and asked if there positions available for the upcoming semester. I then got a response quickly and was basically hired on the spot with minimal interview questions. I would say the best way to get this job is by being persistent and asking at the right time.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult or unexpected questions. They didn't really ask anything off my resume at all.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

The first step in the hiring process is to apply for jobs and to get your application into contention for the jobs you are interested in. Once you have a applied, applicant tracking systems are used by many employers to process job applications and to manage the hiring process. Interview process starts with screening interviews, followed by in-person interviews, second interviews and even third interviews.

Interview Questions

• In a way that anyone could understand, can you describe a professional achievement that you are proud of?   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Interview

Phone screen for 15 minutes, then onsite interview - meet with 5-6 ppl individually, and then a presentation like a business case. Look for culture fit and ppl with good thought process.

Research Programmer Interview

Interview

This was an internally created position and the requirements were written so I was to be the most likely candidate for the job. I had one interview by my current supervisor. The position had to be publicly advertised so now you know how some things work in the world of academia.

Research Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Interview

This review is for the Applied Research Institute (ARI), a new entity within the College of Engineering. I applied online through UIUC's job website and received an email invitation to a webcam interview within a few weeks. A day after the webcam interview, I was invited to interview on campus, although it took a month to find a common date that satisfied everybody's schedule. It was a standard PhD research interview: meet one-on-one with some faculty and research scientists, and give a seminar presentation on my past and current research (although in this case it was an informal presentation with no guidelines for length). I received the offer about a month after the interview. Again, this is just for ARI so it might not be representative of the university's other departments, but other than the somewhat slow process, the experience was positive.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions with nothing particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, standard relocation allowance for research staff of $5000.