University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.6

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbana, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Urbana, IL).

Interview

It took 2 months for me to get an interview. The interview process and questions were easy. This is good and bad. It's good if you're not good at interviews, but know what you're doing. Then for a tech position, it should be easy to answer the questions, which they seem to care about more than the behavioral ones. It's bad because they could end up hiring someone incompetent. You interview with a committee. Typically, a third of the members will know specifics about your position. The rest will be from other departments/positions on campus. Usually after the position closes, they will review all applications and decide to interview the top 3-5 candidates. The committee has a list of pre-defined questions that they'll ask every candidate.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? What is one advantage and one disadvantage for using tables in HTML?   Answer Question

Negotiation

If you're hired under a grant, then the salary is usually non-negotiable.

Assistant Director of Career Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Champaign, IL).

Interview

Resume, cover letter, and list of references were submitted. Then moved straight to an on-campus interview. During the half-day, on-campus interview, I met with the search committee, the entire staff, the leadership team, and did a 30 minute presentation on a topic that they guided.

Interview Questions

• They liked to ask what their Center could be doing better from the outsider's/applicant's perspective.   Answer Question

Faculty Interview

Interview

Illinois follows the standard academic process: First, there is an initial interview, usually at meetings. Second, there is a campus visit with a seminar and appointments with faculty. You also meet graduate students. Candidates are asked about their current research and future plans, as well as about their teaching interests.

Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Champaign, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was straightforward. After applying for job online (jobs.illinos.edu), the search committee invites for you for an interview. The committee consists of selected 4-6 faculty from within that department as well as an HR representative. You will be asked to present a mini lecture generally on a topic related to the courses they are hiring for. The search committee members all have behavioral questions prepared mainly to assess your personality and how you will fit in with the department. The search committee is generally composed of random faculty who may not even specialize in they area they are hiring for. The key advice is to be amicable and professional. It would be a good idea to search online for the typical questions they ask for teaching positions. Practice your mock lecture. If you are truly passionate about teaching and have plans to change things, be careful on how much you share during the interview as this my rub some folks (especially if they are not as passionate about teaching) the wrong way. Overall, realize that even if you are hired it is highly likely that you will not interact with any of the committee members so make sure to put your best foot forward and avoid anything controversial. Make sure you contemplate about your teaching philosophy.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Urbana, IL).

Interview

This was a typical Panel interview. Search Committee were from different department. They did a good job to break the ice and questioned on communication and programming skills, data base experience.

Interview Questions

• What’s your recent job? What do you do in recent job? Do you know parallel computing?   Answer Question

Structural Engineer Interview

Interview

Search the details about it. Send email to see whether you can discuss it. See the person and talk with confidence. After that go to your job. Try to work hard and get well with workmates.

IT Help Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Champaign, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

Had a friend that recommended me and was contacted through e-mail. The process was super quick and the interview was really good! They do have a test to see if you know how to do basic things like ping IP addresses and install basic anti-virus. You can prepare for that ahead of time though and it's really simple to do in the interview.

Lab Assistant Interview

Interview

Talking with professors about my program skills and telling whether or not I could be able to attend multiple slots to hold office hours and discussion sections. Also, I need to demonstrate my strong assembly language debuging skills since this job requires me to fix bugs for lc3 assembly code for students with different background. It also asks me to show strong C program skills.

Interview Questions

Interview

Case Interview. I was given a random case, and I had to analyze it as detailedly as possible. It was quite challenging for candidates without previous experience because it requires intuition of market and tight logic.

Student Assistant Interview

Interview

I work at the Campus University Libraries and the hiring and interview process was great! I submitted my application on the online UIUC library website, filled out the questions, and chose my library preferences. I then went into each of the libraries with my resume and availability and asked if there positions available for the upcoming semester. I then got a response quickly and was basically hired on the spot with minimal interview questions. I would say the best way to get this job is by being persistent and asking at the right time.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult or unexpected questions. They didn't really ask anything off my resume at all.   Answer Question