University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
www.uiuc.edu Champaign, IL 500 to 999 Employees

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Interview Questions & Reviews in Urbana, IL

Updated Mar 17, 2014

Getting the Interview

12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Urbana, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in January 2014.

Interview Details – In my case, the interview was pretty easy. Just emailed to say I was interested in TAing the class after I received my final grade for the class. He then emailed all the qualified students saying that he was looking to hire TAs. I responded to this email, and he scheduled a time to meet with me and simply chat about my experience in his class. If you are really passionate about the material, the interview is no problem.

Interview Question – The interview was a simple chat, so there was no tricky question. Just be honest and explain why you care about the position/why you think you can succeed with the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – $10.00/hr is the regular hourly pay for all undergrad TA positions in the Computer Science department.

Consultant Interview

Urbana, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for consultant position through the website during summer break. I immediately got an interview request from IBC right after school started. There were two rounds of interviews. I took two weeks for two rounds of interview to process. First round is behavioral and second round is case interview.

Interview Question – Tell me one time that you have to think of something creative to deal with something   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Urbana, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in March 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted a research statement and cv. I was called for a phone interview, then offered a job. I followed up by speaking with current lab members to make sure the lab would be a good fit before accepting. I was surprised that the department didn't require an in person interview or a research presentation before offering the position.

Interview Question – None of the questions were unexpected or necessarily difficult. They pertained mostly to my research experience, and the direction my research program was going.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was minimal negotiation for this position because it's a post-doctoral fellowship that is well established and offered to roughly 3-5 people per year.

Very Easy Interview

Student Assistant Interview

Student Assistant
Urbana, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in April 2009.

Interview Details – Short interview.

Interview Question – It wasn't even a real interview, she basically just scheduled me in on the spot.   Answer Question

Front Desk Interview

Urbana, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in October 2012.

Interview Details – Working at the front office desk. Process was an application form in which included information needed such as previous experiences, recommendations, and also a interview process.

Interview Question – What do you believe is a trait of yourself that will help you with your work.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I did not need the job

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Senior Business Analyst
Urbana, IL

I applied online - interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in June 2008.

Interview Details – Phone screen, followed by in-person interviews with search committee and then a separate interview with the hiring manager. The interview process goes pretty smoothly in the unit I was hired in to. It's pretty standard across campus to expect a search committee interview and an interview with hiring manager, separately.

Interview Question – There were not any very difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Research Programmer Interview

Research Programmer
Urbana, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in June 2008.

Interview Details – Panel interview.

Interview Question – Describe the difference between a switch and a router.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Urbana, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 6 months - interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in September 2008.

Interview Details – Easy, directly talked to future advisor.

Interview Question – None.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

Intern
Urbana, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in March 2011.

Interview Details – The interview wasn't intense. They will call to make sure if you are still interested after they extend the internship offer. At which time they will ask if you have any questions you need answers and the like. It's not much of an interview per se.

So when you talk to them be entirely sure as to the intern position you applied for is the one you are really interested to work on. If you are accepting this internship just to add one more internship on your resume you will be miserable for all ten weeks as they expect you to know what you're doing. The error of margin is very low.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Payment is fixed you can't negotiate. However, if your travel to the campus cost more than $500 you might want to ask for more and get some more for the travel allowance. But this rarely happens as they only refund up to $500 of your travel expenses.

Quant Interview

Urbana, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in February 2012.

Interview Details – At first they start to ask some simple brain teaser problems, like probability questions, coin toss and so on. After that they start to ask questions related to finance, like pricing common options, black-scholes equations, and some stochastic calculus problems. Finally it is some coding questions, i do not have cs background, so basically they are simple algorithm questions. After that they ask about my research and projects.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between American and European options, what is time value.   View Answer
  • binary search tree, wht is the order   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign interview questions and advice in Urbana, IL. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign employees and interview candidates.