University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

2.5

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbana, IL

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Is very useful to know someone who can introduce you to the individual library's managing librarian. After that, I was introduced to my immediate boss, who managed the students working in the library.

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbana, IL

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in January 2014.

In my case, the interview was pretty easy. Just emailed to say I was interested in TAing the class after I received my final grade for the class. He then emailed all the qualified students saying that he was looking to hire TAs. I responded to this email, and he scheduled a time to meet with me and simply chat about my experience in his class. If you are really passionate about the material, the interview is no problem.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was a simple chat, so there was no tricky question. Just be honest and explain why you care about the position/why you think you can succeed with the job.   Answer Question
    $10.00/hr is the regular hourly pay for all undergrad TA positions in the Computer Science department.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbana, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in August 2013.

I applied for consultant position through the website during summer break. I immediately got an interview request from IBC right after school started. There were two rounds of interviews. I took two weeks for two rounds of interview to process. First round is behavioral and second round is case interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me one time that you have to think of something creative to deal with something   Answer Question

Front Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbana, IL

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in October 2012.

Working at the front office desk. Process was an application form in which included information needed such as previous experiences, recommendations, and also a interview process.

Interview Questions
    • What do you believe is a trait of yourself that will help you with your work.   Answer Question

I did not need the job

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbana, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in March 2012.

I submitted a research statement and cv. I was called for a phone interview, then offered a job. I followed up by speaking with current lab members to make sure the lab would be a good fit before accepting. I was surprised that the department didn't require an in person interview or a research presentation before offering the position.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were unexpected or necessarily difficult. They pertained mostly to my research experience, and the direction my research program was going.   Answer Question
    There was minimal negotiation for this position because it's a post-doctoral fellowship that is well established and offered to roughly 3-5 people per year.

Quant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbana, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in February 2012.

At first they start to ask some simple brain teaser problems, like probability questions, coin toss and so on. After that they start to ask questions related to finance, like pricing common options, black-scholes equations, and some stochastic calculus problems. Finally it is some coding questions, i do not have cs background, so basically they are simple algorithm questions. After that they ask about my research and projects.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between American and European options, what is time value.   View Answer
    • binary search tree, wht is the order   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbana, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in March 2011.

The interview wasn't intense. They will call to make sure if you are still interested after they extend the internship offer. At which time they will ask if you have any questions you need answers and the like. It's not much of an interview per se.

So when you talk to them be entirely sure as to the intern position you applied for is the one you are really interested to work on. If you are accepting this internship just to add one more internship on your resume you will be miserable for all ten weeks as they expect you to know what you're doing. The error of margin is very low.

Interview Questions
    Payment is fixed you can't negotiate. However, if your travel to the campus cost more than $500 you might want to ask for more and get some more for the travel allowance. But this rarely happens as they only refund up to $500 of your travel expenses.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbana, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in October 2010.

email to professors, work as volunteers in lab, interview and get hired

Interview Questions
    • how research experience could assist myself in the proceeding research tasks   Answer Question
    I accept the offer

Graduate Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbana, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in March 2010.

Graduate school application followed by interview process with several faculty members and subsequent approval from the department and the College. Test scores, transcripts, essays, and personal goals were assessed in the application process. During the interview, personal goals, problem solving, and research interests were discussed at length. Pairing one's research goals with those of active and recruiting faculty members is paramount; building a good relationship with a prospective research advisor can lay the foundation for an excellent training experience.

Interview Questions
    • What can a PhD do in research that an MD can't do? What can an MD solve that a PhD can't solve?   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbana, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in April 2009.

Short interview.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't even a real interview, she basically just scheduled me in on the spot.   Answer Question