University of Iowa

Getting the Interview

28 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Rhetoric TA Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at University of Iowa.

Interview Details – There aren't really any interviews. Your department sponsors you and depending on the number of positions Rhetoric has received that year, you get it or you don't.

Interview Question – You will have to participate in professional development though.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Salary is decided by union and university.

Marketing Representative Interview

Iowa City, IA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Iowa in January 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process begins with reaching out by applying through contacting the individual listed on the website. If you get an interview, you'll speak with a panel of people consisting of both professionals and current student representatives. You'll be asked a series of questions that are pretty straight forward and they're looking to see if you're a sharped minded, young professional looking for a chance to advance your knowledge in the advertising industry.

Interview Question – What are you intentions as a student marketing representative?   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Iowa City, IA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Iowa in January 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty selective interview process

Interview Question – Why do you want to do research for the rest of your life.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation phase... this is graduate school.

Very Easy Interview

Dining Associate Interview

Iowa City, IA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at University of Iowa in October 2012.

Interview Details – Very casual interview. No real questioning. I walked in and I was immediately given an orientation of the place. There was a great sense of trust once I walking in the door. To be hired you apply online and usually get a call within the first few days. There are always shifts open.

Catering Assistant Interview

Interviewed at University of Iowa

Interview Details – first receive an email from the supervisor concerning the possible time to conduct an interview; then during the interview I was asked about my expectation to the future work

Interview Question – No unexpected questions indeed and not too much questions for this position   Answer Question

Student Research Specialist Interview

Interviewed at University of Iowa

Interview Details – Very simple. I applied the week of finals during the Fall semester and then heard back the week before the Spring Semester began. Went in for an interview, they basically wanted to see my excel proficiency and how I made an ugly spreadsheet look nicer.

Interview Question – Most unexpected questions had to do with Adobe (because a lot of the work is in acrobat pro).   Answer Question

Patient Services Specialist Interview

Iowa City, IA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at University of Iowa in May 2012.

Interview Details – Sent in my resume 3 weeks out I received a call to set up a phone interview, it lasted about 15 minutes. 2 on 1. They explained what the position is like and then proceeded to ask regular questions like why do you want to work with us?

Interview Question – Wasn't asked any questions   Answer Question

Chemist Interview

Chemist
Iowa City, IA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Iowa in July 2009.

Interview Details – Same questions were asked form all candidate. Focused on prior work experience, problem solving, and conflict management. There was a written assessment after the interview without time limit. It was followed by a tour. Position was offered about a month after the interview after background check.

Interview Question – Say an example when you have a conflict with a co-worker, how did you solve it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negation process, position was offered with the top of the advertised salary range.

Admission Visitor Center Interview

Iowa City, IA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Iowa in March 2009.

Interview Details – Initial survey about personal interests and genuine love for the school was extremely helpful to gain insight into who they're really looking for to work in Admissions. Showing you could communicate in both a group setting but also one on one situations was helpful in determining your style and potential to give people a tour and interact with potential students.

Interview Question – If you had to go out of town or had unexpected plans, would you discuss with your employer or how would you approach your employer about time off?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 months - interviewed at University of Iowa.

Interview Details – After admitted by school, I send my former work to a professor and since it matches the lab work, I got the job without a formal interview. But I bet the school applying procedure covered this part already. Compare to RA position, applying school program would be much harder and important.

Interview Question – I have to write something to submit...but to be honest, grad school application is more about all the former experience and submitted documents. The hardest for me might be write out a ps that suitable for this lab.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for University of Iowa? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Iowa interview questions and advice. All 28 interview reviews posted anonymously by University of Iowa employees and interview candidates.