University of Iowa Interview Questions

Updated Jun 12, 2015

2.5

Interview

An hour long interview that with the Team Lead of the Team you will be on, along with a few others. Mostly standard interview questions and case questions. Nothing too difficult overall. I would suggest getting to the hospital very early, as it can be very confusing on how to get to the offices.

Interview Questions

• How could you explain a technical problem to a non-technical person?   Answer Question

Stutdent IT Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Iowa (Iowa City, IA).

Interview

I received an email stating that i was a candidate for the position i applied for. I was interviewed by the manager, asking primarily about basic knowledge and understanding of the types of systems i would be assisting people with. The interview was casual, brief and friendly. No silly games or tricks. Just straight forward questions relevant to the position for whichj i was applying.

Interview Questions

• What types of relevant software programs do you have experience with?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of Iowa.

Interview

In order to interview for this position I first had to go through an application. We had a short application process including references, information about involvement in activities, other jobs and organizations, and a few short answers. Once the applications were all received they narrowed it down and called in applicants for an in person 2:1 interview. It only lasted about a half hour and was the final step in the process. Final decisions were made around April. Nothing out of the ordinary. All questions were typical.

Interview Questions

• What past experiences make you qualified for this position?   Answer Question

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Iowa (Iowa City, IA) in July 2014.

Interview

Fast and easy. Not too harsh. Several questions asked but they were not difficult. The atmosphere was relaxing and people were nice, helpful and sympathetic., although some professors are not very personable.

Rhetoric TA Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at University of Iowa.

Interview

There aren't really any interviews. Your department sponsors you and depending on the number of positions Rhetoric has received that year, you get it or you don't.

Interview Questions

• You will have to participate in professional development though.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Salary is decided by union and university.

Catering Assistant Interview

Interview

first receive an email from the supervisor concerning the possible time to conduct an interview; then during the interview I was asked about my expectation to the future work

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions indeed and not too much questions for this position   Answer Question

Student Research Specialist Interview

Interview

Very simple. I applied the week of finals during the Fall semester and then heard back the week before the Spring Semester began. Went in for an interview, they basically wanted to see my excel proficiency and how I made an ugly spreadsheet look nicer.

Interview Questions

• Most unexpected questions had to do with Adobe (because a lot of the work is in acrobat pro).   Answer Question

ESL Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Iowa (Iowa City, IA) in January 2014.

Interview

The entire interview process for this position was conducted over the telephone. After a standard application with CV, 3 letters of recommendations, and a cover letter, I was contacted within 6 weeks to set up an initial screening interview. This interview lasted approximately 30 minutes and was conducted with a panel of 3 people from the university's Intensive English Program. Most questions dealt quite specifically with trade based situations (e.g. When teaching pronunciation, do you focus more on segmentals or supersegmentals?) There was little in the way of questioning regarding me personally; it was almost entirely based on teaching practices. A few weeks later, I was contacted for a follow up / final interview. This also took place over the phone, and lasted only slightly longer than the initial interview. Again, questions were primarily based on classroom practice. An example would be, "How would you explain to a student in the simplest terms the difference between the present perfect and the past continuous?" All interviewers were cordial and professional.

Interview Questions

• If a student were to come to you during your office hours upset about a grade that he/she earned and was inconsolable (i.e. was not satisfied with your explanation of your grade), what action would you take?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation took place, but the salary is quite acceptable for a 9 month contract with a possibility to teach summers as well.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at University of Iowa.

Interview

After admitted by school, I send my former work to a professor and since it matches the lab work, I got the job without a formal interview. But I bet the school applying procedure covered this part already. Compare to RA position, applying school program would be much harder and important.

Interview Questions

• I have to write something to submit...but to be honest, grad school application is more about all the former experience and submitted documents. The hardest for me might be write out a ps that suitable for this lab.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Iowa (Iowa City, IA) in January 2013.

Interview

Pretty selective interview process

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do research for the rest of your life.   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation phase... this is graduate school.