University of Leeds

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Intern Interview

Leeds, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Leeds in June 2013.

Interview Details – First was a presentation about the projects that they were requiring people for. Then they asked for suggestions to further the project.

Next was a one on one interview with project leaders who asked which we would prefer to choose. Then asked for further project suggestions, and what you'd bring to the project.

Interview Question – Where can you see the end product to be used in the future?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Leeds, England (UK)

I applied online and interviewed at University of Leeds.

Interview Details – Interview for position was uncomfortable, as it seemed that the entire panel knew nothing about me and came across as generally uncaring and disinterested. Received 2 sentence rejection email with no constructive feedback. Overall probably the most disappointing and unprofessional interview I've had so far! Clean up your act Leeds HR!

Interview Question – By which criteria do you judge your own performance?   Answer Question

IT Officer Interview

Leeds, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Leeds.

Interview Details – I was previously known to the head of my future department and called in for a brief informal discussion about her ideas for a new position and whether I would be interested in it. Following this, there was a formal telephone interview with two managers, some follow-up questions and request for documents via email and then I was offered the position.

Interview Question – Part of the role was to kick-start a wide-ranging project almost from scratch. I was asked for my ideas about how I would go about doing this. It was not an unexpected question, but was the most difficult question I was asked. I had no problem answering it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was told the salary. I didn't negotiate.

Administrative Officer Interview

Leeds, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Leeds in September 2011.

Interview Details – The job was listed on the university website. I applied, and it took just over a month to be invited for interview. The interview date was set for two weeks after the invitation. The panel comprised four people - my prospective line manager, the School Administrator, and two senior academics. I was put at my ease, and every question was relevant to the role offered.

I was offered the position on the afternoon of the interview and accepted immediately. A start date of approximately five weeks was offered and accepted.

Interview Question – What do you see as you main weakness?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. The job was a promotion, and I started on the bottom rung of the salary scale.

Post Doc Virology Interview

Leeds, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Leeds in January 2012.

Interview Details – I was emailed two weeks before the interview by the HR and they asked me to confirm if I'm coming. They emailed me all the information I might need about the transportation and the city. Also some information around the project. On the day I was accompanied on a tour around the lab, then went to make a presentation about my work. I was asked general questions on my work results and possible future work. Then they asked more detailed scientific questions on the project at hand and what areas I'm familiar with in this kind of research. Finally some personality questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a siuation where you were able to self manage your project and implement your own ideas?   View Answer
  • What are your weakest qualities?   View Answer

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Postdoctoral Researcher
Leeds, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Leeds in January 2008.

Interview Details – Interviewed over the phone, as I was living in the US when I applied for the position, with my potential boss and one colleague. Described my research experience and answered questions on my interests and abilities. After the phone interview, I was contacted within a few days and offered the position.

Interview Question – What area of research in our field do you find most interesting and most important?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not much room for negotiation as it was a fixed-term contract, and they offered me the maximum salary allowed for this grant.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for University of Leeds? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Leeds interview questions and advice in Leeds, England. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by University of Leeds employees and interview candidates.