University of Leuven Interview Questions

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of Leuven

PhD Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leuven (Belgium)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at University of Leuven (Leuven (Belgium)).

Interview

The interview process consisted in a few days of discussion about scientific papers. You had to read some of them, and show that you understood the content. Than, you had to come up with some broad suggestions on how to solve a scientific problem (which might or not be related to your thesis topic). I believe this is one of the best way to evaluate a PhD candidate, but it is time-consuming for both student and professors. In my case, no recommendations were required. This process is not a standard one, and it was possible because the project was funded by the EU. Normally, one should write a research proposal, and submit it to National Funding Agency. In my case, the project was already funded, so the professor was looking for someone to fill the position.

Interview Questions

• Read this paper. How is this relevant for solving problem X?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leuven (Belgium)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Leuven (Leuven (Belgium)).

Interview

Regular interview process; two people present of two different research groups; waiting outside to get called in, while your possible-future colleagues pass you by in the hallway. Inside the room, the atmosphere was professional, but quite relaxed for an interview.

Interview Questions

• What is your ultimate research goal, if everything goes as you want?   Answer Question

PhD Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leuven (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Leuven (Leuven (Belgium)).

Interview

Lots of emailing. I had to send in lots of independent work I had done during my MSc studies (term papers, some code, thesis draft) and write a proposal for initial work I would want to do for this position. I never got feedback on this. Finally a on-site 1-1 interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to summarize the (very long and complex) proposal that the grant for this position was based on, followed by a discussion how it fit with my academic background.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leuven (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Leuven (Leuven (Belgium)) in March 2015.

Interview

I had 2 skype interviews: inital and with the PI. I was invited for on campus interview. I prepared a 30 minutes presentation about my previous experience for the lab members, there were some questions like always. I visited the lab, talked to people I am going to work with, we discussed the project. It was a nice interview, not stressfull at all.

Interview Questions

• In initial interview: what do you hate and love about lab work? 3 characteristics of yourself?   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Loughborough, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Leuven (Loughborough, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

It was an expected interview. I was asked to give a presentation on my research projects and a few questions were asked based on it. Then I was asked about the best possible time that I could start the project and a few technical questions were asked. Then I was asked about my VISA and then I was told that the decision will be revealed a week later. I was not offered the position though.

PhD Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leuven (Belgium)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Leuven (Leuven (Belgium)) in October 2008.

Interview

The interviewer took me to an office where we made a 1-1 interview session for about an hour.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your Maters thesis subject matter and how it is related to our research?   1 Answer
    • Why do you like to work with us?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, as the salary and every thing was fix by the university policy.