University of Manchester

Updated Nov 25, 2014

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of Manchester

Ra Interview

Had simple questions in basic physics. The interviews were straight out of a book and had simple answers. Nothing about anything hat requires deep thinking. At times they mocked at my answers, guess because my accent wasn't british.

Pdsd Interview

submitted cv, was then invited to a interview, there were about 36 people getting the interview, only 18 got the offer, not really a big interview, was asked how to remove virus, was asked about previous customer service experience, was asked experience with university wifi configuration, vpn configuration, was asked to give more questions.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at University of Manchester.

It was an informal chat. By the time they call you they call you they more or less know if they want you.
    The interview was in the Engineering Department. At is was a friendly interview.

Postdoctoral Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of Manchester.

Very Professional process, Good location, very kind secretary.
    Met with the hiring manager and one professor within the group. I made a presentation on your selected subject, followed by questions on my presentation/project, about my last career and myself. Then lab-tour.
    Interview questions were real and relevant to the present position.

PhD Student Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at University of Manchester.

1. Meet the basic requirements of the university, at most time it is degree of your previous education.
    2. Contact potential supervisor who has projects seeking PhD students. Some projects have funding, while some not.
    3. Meet the requirements from the project and supervisor. The requirements could be past experiences, nationality ans so on.
    4. Talk with your supervisor about tuition fess and living expenses.

Interview Questions
    • Interviews I have had only gave some fundamental questions relating to the project.   Answer Question
    I had not been through the negotiation phase. But I do recommend the PhD seeker negotiate with the potential supervisor regarding funding, graduation criteria, work style (meeting arrangement, working time arrangement etc), allowed holidays and so on. It is always better to clarify things in advance before they cause tensions between you and your supervisor.

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Manchester.

A bit demeaing considering the credentials I have. A lot of unecessary questions were put forward.

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Manchester.

Was a previous student, so had a very relaxed meeting to confirm my interest. Simple online form, and two references.
    For students from other universities, I know that the form is a bit more in depth, and there are formal interviews. Often the prospective students will be introduced to the current students for a chat.

Interview Questions
    • As I was a student already at Manchester, there wasn't a formal interview.   Answer Question
    No financial negotiation, but there was talk of which experiment, however this is not normally confirmed until you start.

Lecturer Interview

seminar plus interview

no negotiation

Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Manchester in January 2013.

Online submission of a CV / Resume, teaching and research plans. Then half a day on-site with informal one-to-one interviews/discussions with 4 members of staff, plus a departmental seminar which is open to all, and then a formal interview with the same people as with the one-to-ones which had some elements influenced by the "informal" parts.

Interview Questions
    • What particular role would you like to champion as a member of staff?   View Answer

Postdoctoral Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Manchester in July 2011.

it was a good day. I was kind of rush for the meeting. They are a little bit late from the previous candidate. Presentation was very good...I feel. But I was no good on questions. Three lectures and prof interviewed me include the head of research center. About 5questins was asked all related to basic technique knowledge. I was too nervous to think and they are looking for specific answer and I did not deliver. I can feel immediately wrong after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you disagree with your supervisor.   Answer Question