University of Manchester

11 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Postdoctoral Interview

Postdoctoral

I applied online and interviewed at University of Manchester.

Interview Details – Very Professional process, Good location, very kind secretary.
Met with the hiring manager and one professor within the group. I made a presentation on your selected subject, followed by questions on my presentation/project, about my last career and myself. Then lab-tour.
Interview questions were real and relevant to the present position.

Interview Question – The last interesting pubblication you read   Answer Question

Manchester, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Manchester in April 2010.

Interview Details – Position was advertised on findaphd.com, initial interview was done by skype as the supervisor was abroad. Secondary contact was personal, followed by interview by another member of staff. The two staff members discussed their interview with me and their impressions, after which they agreed to offer the project.

Interview Question – What makes you think academia is any less pressured than Industry?   Answer Question

PhD Student

I applied in-person and interviewed at University of Manchester.

Interview Details – 1. Meet the basic requirements of the university, at most time it is degree of your previous education.
2. Contact potential supervisor who has projects seeking PhD students. Some projects have funding, while some not.
3. Meet the requirements from the project and supervisor. The requirements could be past experiences, nationality ans so on.
4. Talk with your supervisor about tuition fess and living expenses.

Interview Question – Interviews I have had only gave some fundamental questions relating to the project.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had not been through the negotiation phase. But I do recommend the PhD seeker negotiate with the potential supervisor regarding funding, graduation criteria, work style (meeting arrangement, working time arrangement etc), allowed holidays and so on. It is always better to clarify things in advance before they cause tensions between you and your supervisor.

Lecturer Interview

Lecturer
Manchester, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Manchester in January 2013.

Interview Details – Online submission of a CV / Resume, teaching and research plans. Then half a day on-site with informal one-to-one interviews/discussions with 4 members of staff, plus a departmental seminar which is open to all, and then a formal interview with the same people as with the one-to-ones which had some elements influenced by the "informal" parts.

Interview Question – What particular role would you like to champion as a member of staff?   View Answer

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate
Manchester, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at University of Manchester in May 2011.

Interview Details – the hiring is usually set before advert is published. it has to be published wide but everybody knows who will get the job in 70% of cases. new people have a chance only if there is a funding and all phd students/postdocs in the group have things to do.

Interview Question – do you have questions for us?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation. you accept or you are out. you have to bend to everything

Research Fellow Interview

Research Fellow
Manchester, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Manchester.

Interview Details – A bit demeaing considering the credentials I have. A lot of unecessary questions were put forward.

Interview Question – Will you manage with research in the school?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NO

Manchester, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Manchester.

Interview Details – Was a previous student, so had a very relaxed meeting to confirm my interest. Simple online form, and two references.
For students from other universities, I know that the form is a bit more in depth, and there are formal interviews. Often the prospective students will be introduced to the current students for a chat.

Interview Question – As I was a student already at Manchester, there wasn't a formal interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No financial negotiation, but there was talk of which experiment, however this is not normally confirmed until you start.

Lecturer Interview

Lecturer

Interviewed at University of Manchester

Interview Details – seminar plus interview

Interview Question – compare your work to the top researcher in the field   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Manchester, England (UK)

I interviewed at University of Manchester in June 2009.

Interview Details – it was a pleasant experience and i was awarded a scholarship to study at the university. during the 3 years stay in the lab i wanted to say it was really well wothy the time. manchester is a great city and very lively. the university provides a lot of resourses and fun things for anyone to join. I am very happy with my choice really.

Interview Question – what is your research experience   View Answer

Postdoctoral Interview

Postdoctoral

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Manchester in July 2011.

Interview Details – it was a good day. I was kind of rush for the meeting. They are a little bit late from the previous candidate. Presentation was very good...I feel. But I was no good on questions. Three lectures and prof interviewed me include the head of research center. About 5questins was asked all related to basic technique knowledge. I was too nervous to think and they are looking for specific answer and I did not deliver. I can feel immediately wrong after the interview.

Interview Question – What would you do if you disagree with your supervisor.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of Manchester

Worked for University of Manchester? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Manchester interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by University of Manchester employees and interview candidates.