University of Manchester Interview Questions in Manchester, England

2.9

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of Manchester

Academic Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Manchester (Manchester, England (UK)).

Interview

Good, thorough and properly conducted. It was done by a large panel of competent people. I enjoyed the experience and I thought it was very fair. Lasted a long time and I felt i could put my case forward very effectively. Questions were fair and specific. they really knew what they were looking for and probed accordingly

Interview Questions

• Career projection, expectations etc. they wanted ambitious people   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Manchester (Manchester, England (UK)).

Interview

A bit demeaing considering the credentials I have. A lot of unecessary questions were put forward.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Manchester (Manchester, England (UK)) in June 2013.

Interview

Mainly asked why I was interested in course and what current things I am interested about within my field. a panel of four members from the faculty (not including my supervisor to be) interviewed me on my general background and scientific knowledge. There were no particularly difficult questions and I felt as though I had over prepared for the meeting. However, as I had studied my masters in the same department, I already knew a lot about my topic and my research field.

Interview Questions

• Mainly asked why I was interested in course and what current things I am interested about within my field.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Manchester (Manchester, England (UK)).

Interview

Was a previous student, so had a very relaxed meeting to confirm my interest. Simple online form, and two references. For students from other universities, I know that the form is a bit more in depth, and there are formal interviews. Often the prospective students will be introduced to the current students for a chat.

Interview Questions

• As I was a student already at Manchester, there wasn't a formal interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No financial negotiation, but there was talk of which experiment, however this is not normally confirmed until you start.

Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Manchester (Manchester, England (UK)) in January 2013.

Interview

Online submission of a CV / Resume, teaching and research plans. Then half a day on-site with informal one-to-one interviews/discussions with 4 members of staff, plus a departmental seminar which is open to all, and then a formal interview with the same people as with the one-to-ones which had some elements influenced by the "informal" parts.

Interview Questions

• What particular role would you like to champion as a member of staff?   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of Manchester (Manchester, England (UK)) in May 2011.

Interview

the hiring is usually set before advert is published. it has to be published wide but everybody knows who will get the job in 70% of cases. new people have a chance only if there is a funding and all phd students/postdocs in the group have things to do.

Interview Questions

• do you have questions for us?   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation. you accept or you are out. you have to bend to everything

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Manchester (Manchester, England (UK)) in April 2010.

Interview

Position was advertised on findaphd.com, initial interview was done by skype as the supervisor was abroad. Secondary contact was personal, followed by interview by another member of staff. The two staff members discussed their interview with me and their impressions, after which they agreed to offer the project.

Interview Questions

• What makes you think academia is any less pressured than Industry?   Answer Question

Flyering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Manchester (Manchester, England (UK)) in September 2009.

Interview

I found the application to work for The University of Manchester on their careers site. They wanted someone to do a weeks worth of flyering. I emailed the address given and arranged a quick 5 minute interview. I was given the job which turned out to be very easy and so worth doing, as the interview wasn't very difficult!

Interview Questions

• Will you be tempted to leave early if not monitored   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

interviewed at University of Manchester (Manchester, England (UK)) in June 2009.

Interview

it was a pleasant experience and i was awarded a scholarship to study at the university. during the 3 years stay in the lab i wanted to say it was really well wothy the time. manchester is a great city and very lively. the university provides a lot of resourses and fun things for anyone to join. I am very happy with my choice really.

Interview Questions

• what is your research experience   1 Answer