University of Maryland

Relevance Date Difficulty

Record Analysis Interview

Record Analysis
Baltimore, MD

I applied in-person - interviewed at University of Maryland in April 2014.

Interview Details – interviewed in april 2002, interviewed by Jean Morgan, manager, discussed my experience and qualifications, And what are my future plans, which was to futher my education and skills, and would like to futher my skills and expericence.

Interview Question – The interview went well and now I'm proud to say I'm still employed with the Hospital   Answer Question

IT Coordinator Interview

IT Coordinator
College Park, MD

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at University of Maryland in July 2012.

Interview Details – The first step is to apply via the online website regardless of where you see the job posting. After that depends on the hiring committee - which is formed of several potential peers and a manager. In my case they called for a quick phone interview before inviting me to an interview in front of the entire committee and asked questions round robin. Afterwards I had one final interview with the hiring manager and was offered the job on the spot. Having further served on a committee myself the way it works behind the scenes is that a committee is formed as soon as the job is posted and they select and reject resumes based on the hiring manager's criteria. They also choose who to send to the hiring manager, who then makes the final decision. Great effort is made to make the committee as diverse as possible in culture, gender, ethnicity and job position so as to avoid discriminatory hiring practices.

Interview Question – In my particular interviews I ran into no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – One on one negotiations with the hiring manager within the stated range by the committee with one witness present.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at University of Maryland.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with them. They were really friendly and professional. They let me ask them many questions. We got disconnected once and then they actually took the time and called me although it was an international call.

Interview Question – What can you add to our program?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation; it was kind of set

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Maryland in March 2012.

Interview Details – I contacted several people who new the professor I wanted to work with. The interview included lab tour, general questions about background and the desire to work on the project that the group had funding for.
Pretty typical situation, since the position was available and the the group was in need of hiring a student.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions, but rather a lecture on the subject the group was working on.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. Tuition coverage and stipend were provided.

Very Easy Interview

Driver Interview

Driver
College Park, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Maryland in September 2011.

Interview Details – Online application, very very easy. Typical for a transportation department to do this. I just had to show up and interview. I was offered the position on the spot, before leaving the building.

Interview Question – What would you do in an emergency situation?   Answer Question

Program Management Specialist Interview

Program Management Specialist
College Park, MD

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Maryland.

Interview Details – The interview process for non-exempt employees usually has 3 or four rounds of pool reduction. All resumes are submitted to the University HR department and those are sent to the search committee for further review. The search committee receives the charge from the hiring official as to what key skills/experience they are looking for in a candidate and it is the responsibility of the search committee to reduce the pool of candidates to a handful of diverse (race/gender) very capable people. The committee then makes its recommendation to the hiring official. The search committee might have a telephone interview, and then a face-to-face interview before making its final determination. After that, the hiring official meets with the handful of candidates to make a hiring decision.

The search committee is made up of people who will be working with the candidate, an hr representative, and other people that might be indirectly in contact with that position. Search committee also represents the diversity of the UMD workplace both in terms of race/gender and also in the organization hierarchy.

Interview Question – What experience have you had with Integrated Work Place Management systems at a university setting or a similar institution and tell us the most technically complex relevant environment where you have worked in the last five years.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate about $10,000 around the base salary but make sure you know what level # the position is so that you have an idea as to the employer limit on what they can offer.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate

Interviewed at University of Maryland

Interview Details – I very satisfied with the hiring process. The e-mail communication was very quick after I provided the necessary material (CV, examples of my dissertation and research papers) to initiate the interviews. I had two phone interviews after I received an offer. However, this is very subjective depending on the professor to whom you are applying.

Interview Question – All the questions I had during the interview were focused on my past research. So I was able to answer all of them gracefully and with high confidence.   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student

Interviewed at University of Maryland

Interview Details – No interview done,
Worked as a volunteer in a laboratory for 6 months and then got hired

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Graduate Assistant I Interview

Graduate Assistant I

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Maryland.

Interview Details – I applied on the UMD website and got asked a few questions. There wasn't much of a process.

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. There are pay grades and that's it.

Graduate Assistant Interview

Graduate Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at University of Maryland.

Interview Details – We had an internal application process for the school. We submitted our application package then got evaluated by the staff then we had an interview conducted usually by the future supervisor. My interviewer was a smart professor so he asked a lot of my previous experience and research interests. It was fun to talk to him.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult research project you have dealt with.   Answer Question

Worked for University of Maryland? Contribute to the Community!