University of Maryland

Relevance Date Difficulty

Record Analysis Interview

Record Analysis
Baltimore, MD

I applied in-person - interviewed at University of Maryland in April 2014.

Interview Details – interviewed in april 2002, interviewed by Jean Morgan, manager, discussed my experience and qualifications, And what are my future plans, which was to futher my education and skills, and would like to futher my skills and expericence.

Interview Question – The interview went well and now I'm proud to say I'm still employed with the Hospital   Answer Question

IT Coordinator Interview

IT Coordinator
College Park, MD

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at University of Maryland in July 2012.

Interview Details – The first step is to apply via the online website regardless of where you see the job posting. After that depends on the hiring committee - which is formed of several potential peers and a manager. In my case they called for a quick phone interview before inviting me to an interview in front of the entire committee and asked questions round robin. Afterwards I had one final interview with the hiring manager and was offered the job on the spot. Having further served on a committee myself the way it works behind the scenes is that a committee is formed as soon as the job is posted and they select and reject resumes based on the hiring manager's criteria. They also choose who to send to the hiring manager, who then makes the final decision. Great effort is made to make the committee as diverse as possible in culture, gender, ethnicity and job position so as to avoid discriminatory hiring practices.

Interview Question – In my particular interviews I ran into no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – One on one negotiations with the hiring manager within the stated range by the committee with one witness present.

Very Easy Interview

Driver Interview

Driver
College Park, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Maryland in September 2011.

Interview Details – Online application, very very easy. Typical for a transportation department to do this. I just had to show up and interview. I was offered the position on the spot, before leaving the building.

Interview Question – What would you do in an emergency situation?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Program Management Specialist Interview

Program Management Specialist
College Park, MD

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Maryland.

Interview Details – The interview process for non-exempt employees usually has 3 or four rounds of pool reduction. All resumes are submitted to the University HR department and those are sent to the search committee for further review. The search committee receives the charge from the hiring official as to what key skills/experience they are looking for in a candidate and it is the responsibility of the search committee to reduce the pool of candidates to a handful of diverse (race/gender) very capable people. The committee then makes its recommendation to the hiring official. The search committee might have a telephone interview, and then a face-to-face interview before making its final determination. After that, the hiring official meets with the handful of candidates to make a hiring decision.

The search committee is made up of people who will be working with the candidate, an hr representative, and other people that might be indirectly in contact with that position. Search committee also represents the diversity of the UMD workplace both in terms of race/gender and also in the organization hierarchy.

Interview Question – What experience have you had with Integrated Work Place Management systems at a university setting or a similar institution and tell us the most technically complex relevant environment where you have worked in the last five years.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate about $10,000 around the base salary but make sure you know what level # the position is so that you have an idea as to the employer limit on what they can offer.

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Graduate Teaching Assistant
College Park, MD

I applied online and interviewed at University of Maryland.

Interview Details – Based on acceptance into the shcool program.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant
College Park, MD

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Maryland in February 2010.

Interview Details – send application and GRE scores... send emails... wait for call.. interview

Interview Question – How do you fit in with this project   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Maryland.

Interview Details – After sending my CV, the assistant professor emailed me back and asked some questions. For a while later (2-3 weeks?), he emailed me again about an interview. We set up the date and the actual interview happened on the day.

Interview Question – How did you explain to your current PI (Principal Investigator) about coming here for an interview?   View Answer

IT Support Associate Interview

IT Support Associate
College Park, MD

I applied online and interviewed at University of Maryland.

Interview Details – Applied online via the employment. Had one 15 minute interview with the director and IT manager.

Interview Question – How do you add a computer to the domain?   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student
College Park, MD

I interviewed at University of Maryland in March 2010.

Interview Details – Got an email scheduling phone interviews in March. They suggested to use skype. The faculty member was very nice and we briefly discussed our research. But since the professor was not working in that particular area. I focused on the methods and the generous results. Finally, he asked if I have any questions about the graduate program or the university

Interview Question – Everything was pretty normal   Answer Question

Grants and Contract Specialist Interview

Grants and Contract Specialist
Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Maryland in November 2012.

Interview Details – Online Submission, and group interview. There were 5 people in the first group, and two in the second round.

Interview Question – Changing Address and tax forms with HR Specialist   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes I was able to negotiate a higher salary and flexible work times.

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of Maryland

Worked for University of Maryland? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Maryland interview questions and advice in Maryland. All 42 interview reviews posted anonymously by University of Maryland employees and interview candidates.