University of Maryland Medical Center Interview Questions

Updated Aug 6, 2014
Updated Aug 6, 2014

2.8

Research Interview

I applied online - interviewed at University of Maryland Medical Center.

Applied online. Took about a month or so to hear back. Rec'd an email for scheduling a phone interview with someone in HR. Phone interview was straightforward. Then rec'd an email to schedule an interview with the hiring department. Scheduled quickly. Day of - waited in lobby while associate was paged and came down to get me. Was suppose to interview with head of project, but he was running late. Other people in the office tried to keep me occupied until he returned. Very friendly. Head came in finally. Not the friendliest guy, but interview went smoothly. Then interviewed with associates. Interview was straightforward. Was mainly asked about my personal background, education, and past experience.

Interview Questions
    • Was grilled about my past research experience. Were looking for a few specific things, which I unfortunately did not have.   Answer Question

Clinical Documentaton Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Glen Burnie, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Burnie, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at University of Maryland Medical Center in May 2014.

I interviewed at the BWMC site. The main interviewer was a contractor. I felt there was a conflict of interest in that contractors income depends on continued need for their services. She appeared to have the need to be the most knowledgeable on all topics as opposed to building a team of people with differing strengths and weaknesses to synergistically learn from one another. I enjoy participating in synergistic teams. At one point there was an emphasis on clinical checklist which might be advantageous to new nurses less applicable once one develops the critical thinking skills to look at the big picture. This was not a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • Change of work environment questions. There seemed to be the assumption that one needed to come from a like facility to be able to adapt to the workflow at this facility.   Answer Question

Patient Care Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Maryland Medical Center in September 2013.

Just agree that nurse are important. That you understand you are their to support them. WHen they ask you about delegation go with the most important task first such as Ekg over Blood draws.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you become a PCT?
      How do you handle patient family members?
      How do you handle difficult patient?
        Answer Question
    They told you how much you were to be paid and that was that. Base on experience apparently.

Clinical Lab Technologist Interview

I applied online - interviewed at University of Maryland Medical Center.

After resume submission and HR review; the lab supervisor emailed me to schedule initial interview. Interview was held in supervisor's office, afterwhich we walked through laboratory and hospital. Informal offer made over telephone. Formal offer presented in person.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. I wish I had asked to observe all shifts instead of just day shift.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at University of Maryland Medical Center in September 2012.

Contacted about the position many months after applying. The interview process took many weeks and was exhasutive with over 12 high level in-person interviews, as well as phone screenings. Everyone was pleasant and but they could not decide. My opinion is that there is a reluctance to hire from outside the industry with a very strong preference for internal candidates (great for current employees)! Seems like a very interesting place to work with advancement opportunity from within.

Internal Audit Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Maryland Medical Center in April 2012.

I applied to job online. Then worked with HR to schedule a group phone interview. After the phone interview, I was scheduled for in person interviews. Prior to the in person interviews I completed an online personality test that was sent to me via email and administered online.

The in person interviews consisted of first interviewing and meeting with HR. Then I met with a few employees at various times through group interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Why I was looking to leave my current job?   View Answer

Patient Care Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Maryland Medical Center in October 2011.

Applied for position in September of 2011, received a call requesting an interview in October 2011. Pre-interview instructions (i.e. parking, directions to HR, etc) were detailed and easy to follow. Interview process was two-fold. First phase: interview with HR nursing recruiter. Second phase: interview with nurse manager on the unit.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation on hourly rate. Patient Care Technicians with no experience start at 15.00. Excellent negotiation for schedule requests...very flexible.

Applications Systems Analyst III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at University of Maryland Medical Center in September 2011.

Interviewed with the Director of the department. She had me interview with three of her project leaders. It was a very relaxed interview although there were few "gotcha" questions used in the interview by one of the project leaders. My resume was used more to make the decision than the interview. For the University of Maryland Medical System you must have two references from your previous employer. Not ifs, ands or buts about it, get those or you don't get the job - may not apply to higher level positions.

Interview Questions
    • The typical question was asked, where to you see yourself in five years. I'm an individual contributor and I like it. I've been a manager and don't like it. I'd like to be where I am now in five years, but it's hard to make people understand that.   View Answer
    Pretty straight-forward. Their benefits are good, so there wasn't much to negotiate about.

Applications Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at University of Maryland Medical Center in January 2011.

The phone interview was relatively short. I found the interviewers to be positive, cheerful, and energetic. At the end of the ten minute call, they asked me to fly up (non-reimbursable) and interview me face-to-face. The interview process took about 6 hours total, beginning around 10 am, including a lunch with the hiring manager and ending around 5.
    Interviews were arranged in one-hour blocks, with the hiring manager, the VP, a panel of 3 peers and an HR recruiter each taking an hour or so.

Perceptions of the people: Since the position is IT position, I find the environment and people to be about average, compared with previous employers. However, the company utilizes consultants perhaps more than most. I've worked for.

Office perceptions: Internal politics at the VP level is pervasive and obvious to subordinates. One opportunity to improve is to facilitate communication between teams, especially amongst teams that support overlapping applications.

Recommendations: For those interviewing, I would say, know your stuff (technically) and don't give canned answers to questions. Be inventive in your responses but realistic and definitely be honest. Be down-to-earth and technology-savvy.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the biggest workplace mistake you've made.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a project you were on that failed. How did you contribute to its failure? What would you do differently?   Answer Question

Lab Tech II/Blood Bank Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at University of Maryland Medical Center in January 2011.

The most stressful part about the interview process was getting through Baltimore city. The interview was very professional, your typical questions nothing really unexpected. I left with a good feeling and they were very respectful. The online application had some problems but that was more on my end with my internet.

Interview Questions

Worked for University of Maryland Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!