University of Maryland Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Apr 16, 2015

2.8

Associate Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at University of Maryland (College Park, MD).

Interview

Interviews are conducted in a fair manner. The university is an equal opportunity employer. Search committees are well trained in appropriate interview procedures. For example, candidates are asked the same list of questions, are vetted in terms of their ability to illustrate claims about knowledge, skills, and abilities with concrete specific examples, and are evaluated in terms of their ability to work in an interdisciplinary, innovative, team environment. Candidates for research scientist positions are expected to give a job talk about their research. Candidates are broadly vetted by the various types of employees in a department or center. An online system, makes submission of interview materials very convenient. The interview process is transparent and candidates are encouraged to ask any questions they may have at any time during the process.

Interview Questions

• A member of your research team does not agree with your scientific-technical judgment in your role as a principal investigator about the appropriate way to analyze the data. How do you manage the disagreement? Please try to illustrate this with an example based on your past experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I expressed an interest, if feasible, to be hired in a higher rank than advertised and was successful, commensurate with my years of experience.

Program Management Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Maryland (College Park, MD).

Interview

The interview process for non-exempt employees usually has 3 or four rounds of pool reduction. All resumes are submitted to the University HR department and those are sent to the search committee for further review. The search committee receives the charge from the hiring official as to what key skills/experience they are looking for in a candidate and it is the responsibility of the search committee to reduce the pool of candidates to a handful of diverse (race/gender) very capable people. The committee then makes its recommendation to the hiring official. The search committee might have a telephone interview, and then a face-to-face interview before making its final determination. After that, the hiring official meets with the handful of candidates to make a hiring decision.

The search committee is made up of people who will be working with the candidate, an hr representative, and other people that might be indirectly in contact with that position. Search committee also represents the diversity of the UMD workplace both in terms of race/gender and also in the organization hierarchy.

Interview Questions

• What experience have you had with Integrated Work Place Management systems at a university setting or a similar institution and tell us the most technically complex relevant environment where you have worked in the last five years.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate about $10,000 around the base salary but make sure you know what level # the position is so that you have an idea as to the employer limit on what they can offer.

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of Maryland (College Park, MD).

Interview

Based on acceptance into the shcool program.

IT Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of Maryland (College Park, MD).

Interview

Applied online via the employment. Had one 15 minute interview with the director and IT manager.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at University of Maryland (College Park, MD) in March 2014.

Interview

Simple, straight forward, you get a call based on your networking skills with the interviewer. If you know the interviewer before hand, then it is a benefit, else chances are grim.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you can fit in to the project?   1 Answer

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Maryland (College Park, MD).

Interview

I emailed in response to the position advertisement. I was quickly asked to come in for an interview. The position required a specific type of knowledge, which I was "quizzed" on during the initial interview. I was then asked to come back for a second interview to trouble-shoot a specific problem that I would be required to deal with to fulfill the responsibilities of the job. I was quickly accepted for the position within a few days. Overall, the interview process took around 3 hours total (with all of the interview meetings combined).

Interview Questions

• Nothing was unexpected--I was well-qualified for the position, so the questions were not challenging for me. However, for future recruits--be sure you really do understand the technologies/skills that are required in the job-call.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations. Salaries and tuition waivers are set.

IT Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Maryland (College Park, MD) in March 2013.

Interview

The first stage is to check at the universities job website and fill/submit an online application. 99% of the application requires a Resume, Cover letter and Reference so always have it handy.

If your skill set matches the needs of the job, a search committee comprising of 2 to 5 people may give you an phone or face-to-face screening interview. Of course the candidate will be notified before the interview date. It takes an average of 4 weeks to get to interview with the search committee.

If you qualify, the search committee will submit your name to the hiring manager who will then schedule a final face to face interview with the candidate. It takes and average of 4 weeks to get an interview with the hiring manager and another 2 weeks to get the result.

The result usually comes with an offer/rejection letter. It takes an average of 3 weeks before getting this letter.

In all the recruitment process takes about 3 months to finalize.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about University of Maryland. As easy as it sounds, there are a lot of things to talk about. You are not sure of which to say.   Answer Question

Negotiation

non negotiable for me because i had no prior experience. For the experienced folks, i think it can be negotiated. Having said that the negotiation is done at the last stage where the candidate meets with the hiring manager.

Faculty Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Maryland (College Park, MD).

Interview

It is actually a postdoc position. The faculty member and I knew each other pretty well before the interview. So the interview process is mostly that he introduced me about his lab and the department after I talked about my previous research work in details. He did bring another senior faculty member to interview me and the senior faculty member asked several tough questions. But I got passed anyway.

Business Management Consulting Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Interview

I sent my resume through school recruiting website

External Relations Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Maryland (College Park, MD).

Interview

I was selected to an interview with the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department for a student assistant position in external relations. I was called maybe a week after the interview and scheduled immediately. I met in front of a panel of three people who comprised the External Relations team, and they asked me several questions. For the most part it was simple and I just related my previous experience to how I would be a good fit for the position.

Interview Questions

• How would you react if an extremely angry individual came to you about a problem he was having with the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department?   Answer Question