University of Massachusetts Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.4

Department Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amherst, MA

Interview

Interview questions based directly on qualifications, skills and experience listed on job description. First interview was with the hiring committee which was a panel of 5. After passing that round was invited back for a one on one interview with hiring authority, who would be the direct manager for the position. Both rounds were friendly and professional.

Interview Questions

• Asked to tell about experience using the specific software listed on job description   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of Massachusetts in September 2014.

Interview

Had an in-person interview after emailing directly regarding job listing. The 1-1 interview lasted about an hour and discussed all the relevant topics, including writing ability and familiarity with various software tools. As this was a somewhat technical position, knowing the tech side was very important to the role, in addition to attention to detail.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel your previous experience(s) help you with this position?   Answer Question

Media Lab Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dorchester, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at University of Massachusetts (Dorchester, MA) in January 2014.

Interview

A bit weird since it was slightly, well honestly speaking, very informal. There was no set structure, no dress code, and the offices seemed to be very unorganized. Don't let that stop you honestly since it is normal to see that on a day to day basis, and it will not interfere with your work.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked before? do you have work study   1 Answer

Undergraduate Nano Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of Massachusetts.

Interview

The application process varies from school and company, tedious to apply to many, but must be done, I applied to 11 and was only accepted at umass lowell. There was no interview process, I emailed them insuring I was still being considered and I was accepted. They strive for a 50/50 balance male to female, which is concerning considering the number of women compared to men in the field is much less than 50 percent. Ask for a travel stipend, demand, other schools give one.

Pot Washer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amherst, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Massachusetts (Amherst, MA) in September 2012.

Interview

Its not much of an interview. You pretty much go in, meet with the manager and fill out an application. In order to be eligible for employment its necessary to provide two separate forms of identification (i.e. a Drivers License and a Passport, your student ID is not considered valid). From my experience and others that have worked in other UMass Dining Commons, unless you give them a reason not to employ you, you'll get the job.

Interview Questions

• Do you have two forms of identification? What is your past experience?   1 Answer

Customer Service Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Massachusetts in January 2012.

Interview

Quick and easy interview for the most part. Managers usually on the basis of connecting with them, not so much for experience. There should be a lengthier interview process with more in-depth questions due to the fact that there is students' personal information involved in the job. As a CSA you also have access to students' rooms, so there needs to be a better process of interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Why should I hire you as a customer service associate?   1 Answer

Graduate Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Massachusetts (Boston, MA) in January 2012.

Interview

Applied through the postings on the graduate blog. Then got in touch with the professor. 2 stage interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked the best practices for the things that I will do during my assistantship.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Amherst, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Massachusetts (North Amherst, MA) in September 2011.

Interview

Overview of skills and background

Interview Questions

Negotiation

N/A

Digital Repository Resident Interview

Anonymous Employee in Amherst, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Massachusetts (Amherst, MA) in July 2011.

Interview

I found the job opening on the university's human resources website, and applied online following their procedures. Almost exactly one month later, I received an e-mail from someone in the college library's HR department, asking me to call to set up a telephone interview. I reached her by phone and found her to be very helpful and nice. We set up a time and date for the interview. She told me the names of a couple of the people who would be interviewing me. The phone interview was with a panel of five librarians and other staff of the university. They were using a speakerphone on their end, and it was difficult to hear them properly and, I suspect, for them to hear me. They were all considerate, and responded with verbal feedback during the interview. (I have had phone interviews where the people on the other end said nothing, making it hard to know if they could hear and understand me.) A couple of weeks later I received a letter informing me that someone else had been chosen for the position.

Social Media/Advertising Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Dartmouth, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Massachusetts (North Dartmouth, MA) in July 2011.

Interview

Began with a very short phone interview. Then a 1:1 interview that asked about my strengths/weaknesses and why I was interested in the position.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Unpaid position