University of Massachusetts

www.massachusetts.edu

University of Massachusetts Interview Questions

2.4

Undergraduate Nano Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of Massachusetts.

The application process varies from school and company, tedious to apply to many, but must be done, I applied to 11 and was only accepted at umass lowell. There was no interview process, I emailed them insuring I was still being considered and I was accepted. They strive for a 50/50 balance male to female, which is concerning considering the number of women compared to men in the field is much less than 50 percent. Ask for a travel stipend, demand, other schools give one.

Graduate Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Massachusetts in January 2012.

Applied through the postings on the graduate blog. Then got in touch with the professor. 2 stage interview.

Interview Questions
    • Asked the best practices for the things that I will do during my assistantship.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Amherst, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Amherst, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Massachusetts in September 2011.

Overview of skills and background

N/A

Digital Repository Resident Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amherst, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Massachusetts in July 2011.

I found the job opening on the university's human resources website, and applied online following their procedures. Almost exactly one month later, I received an e-mail from someone in the college library's HR department, asking me to call to set up a telephone interview. I reached her by phone and found her to be very helpful and nice. We set up a time and date for the interview. She told me the names of a couple of the people who would be interviewing me.

The phone interview was with a panel of five librarians and other staff of the university. They were using a speakerphone on their end, and it was difficult to hear them properly and, I suspect, for them to hear me. They were all considerate, and responded with verbal feedback during the interview. (I have had phone interviews where the people on the other end said nothing, making it hard to know if they could hear and understand me.)

A couple of weeks later I received a letter informing me that someone else had been chosen for the position.

Social Media/Advertising Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Dartmouth, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Massachusetts in July 2011.

Began with a very short phone interview. Then a 1:1 interview that asked about my strengths/weaknesses and why I was interested in the position.

Unpaid position

Graduate Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Dartmouth, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Massachusetts in July 2010.

Interviewed with the professor who I applied for. He's nice and asked few questions about my computer/office skill and how I know his previous assistant. He wanted to make sure is there any communication problem since I'm a foreign student. He wrote down my email address and mobile phone number and tell me the department committee will make the final decision.

Interview Questions
    The work time schedule could be discussed with the professor.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amherst, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Massachusetts in January 2010.

I was recruited by a colleague who knew my work. I interviewed with that colleague and the program director.

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amherst, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Massachusetts in December 2009.

I had a phone interview, and told that there were 10 being interviewed. I was invited to campus and given about 5 days to prepare a presentation. I presented to a group of people and then met with the person I would be working for. I was told that due to the holidays i would hear in January. I did not hear until a letter came in march that I did not get the job, which I had figured out by then.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do to relieve stress   View Answer
    • Why do you want this job when this is a new area for you?   View Answer

Food Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amherst, MA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Massachusetts in January 2009.

As a student I walked into the cafe and talked with the manager. All I had to do was fill out an application and tell her how many hours I wanted to work. As long as you seem upbeat and not overly confident you'll get the job. I started the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Are you confident in your ability to handle drunk and sometimes violent customers?   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at University of Massachusetts in February 2008.

This was a typical graduate school application process. I Applied in December of 2007, and was asked to interview in February. The school paid for my flight, hotel, and food for the 3-day interview. The weekend consisted of dinner parties with faculty and students every night, followed by bar trips and/or parties. I interviewed with 4 professors for 30 minutes each on the actual interview day, and all interviews were conversational. They asked about my own undergraduate research, my interests, and why I wanted to go to graduate school. I asked about their research, and listened for the remaining time as they regaled me with their scientific knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to design an experiment for a project I was unfamiliar with.   Answer Question
    no negotiation. Take it or leave it. This school has a very competitive stipend.