University of Memphis

Updated Nov 26, 2014
Updated Nov 26, 2014

2.7

Research Technician II Interview

2 interviews- (this was 12 years ago. Note that below they only go back to 2010) 1 in HR, 1 by hiring PI. They were nice, fair, asked questions about past research, future plans, etc. They seemed to decide very quickly and they kept their word on the callback. Also kept word on subsequent salary raise based on performance.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about my educational aspirations. I wanted to attend graduate school, but did not want to put them off hiring me. Finding a balanced answer was tricky.   Answer Question

Technical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Memphis in January 2014.

Initial requirements: You MUST BE A CURRENTLY ENROLLED PART-TIME STUDENT WITH THE UNIVERSITY. Hours you have to be enrolled in differ depending on if you're an undergraduate or graduate, and if you're an international student.

It's a group interview. A lot of what they ask you to demonstrate are done through the University's eLearning system. They give you three questions and you'll need to answer one of them in an essay style format. They will also ask you to stand and give a 1-minute presentation of you; what you study, what activities you do at the University, and why you're applying. They will also administer a typing test. You have to score 40 WPM or more in order to continue.

At that point, you're given a 30 minute break, during which they will decide who to keep for the last part of the interview.

Since this is a position that requires some knowledge of IT, they may ask you how to handle a client whose computer is infected with a virus, or the basic steps of walking a client through resetting their UM password. This is done during the second half. After this traditional interview process, you'll be in a classroom with everyone and the leadership coordinator while three other members of the team decide who to hire. The coordinator will encourage everyone to ask any questions and will occasionally give his experiences as well as the experiences of his co workers when he sees fit.

If you're hired you'll be taken to the Service Desk to fill in the usual paperwork in addition to Direct Deposit forms and an NDA. This takes about a half hour.

Interview Questions
    • "Did you leave your previous position on a good note?"   Answer Question
    Minimum wage flat. No if ands or buts.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Memphis in August 2013.

I am International Student. I got admitted in the Graduate school for Masters Degree in Computer Science, University of memphis for Fall 2013. I had Applied for the Graduate Assistant Position in the August. I got the Assistant ship in the last week of August. There was no Interview for this postion.

Assistant Professor Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at University of Memphis.

Typical university, long and drawn out

Interview Questions
    Salary set, added moving expenses

Research Tech II Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Memphis in June 2013.

Applied online, received email from hiring manager. Scheduled interview. Interview consisted of a few faculty members, as well as staff. It was relaxed with little technical questions about my knowledge of the job skills needed. Received a call offering the position. Then dealt with HR to complete background checks, etc. Once everything cleared I was offered a menial salary and great benefits and a start date. I chose this job over another offer for significantly more money bc of the university environment and the great benefits.

I attempted to negotiate but they adamantly stated that the position had a set budget and it could not be exceeded. I did have an offer for almost double the salary but chose the U of M for various reasons. I love my job but I will have to leave by the end of 2014 if I see no potential for an increase in my salary.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Memphis in April 2013.

Submitted an application online. About two weeks later I was contacted via email to set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. They told me they would be in touch in a week or so. About a week later I was offered a final interview and flown to Memphis and put up in the campus Holiday Inn. The final interview was a full-day affair, I met with like 5 different people.

Interview Questions
    • It was all pretty standard, nothing out of the ordinary for an administrator.   Answer Question
    No negotiation-take it or leave it. HR gets very pushy if you ask for some time to consider the offer and are very unhelpful with providing further information.

Graduate Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of Memphis in July 2012.

Applied as a graduate, got selected for the program. Was interviewed by my advisor in person. Shared research interests and he liked my previous academic record and appointed me as a GA

Graduate Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Memphis in April 2012.

Applied to the university. Got offer. Need to submit transcript, gre, toefl score. Also submitted international degree evaluation. Emailed several time to expedite processing. It took around 2 months total.

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Memphis in February 2010.

The interview process was pretty straight forward, however the actual job duties didn't match the job description. This was a panel interview, consisting of three staff members because the director had retired several months earlier.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question is "what are your weaknesses".   Answer Question
    Ask if you'll be trained by the individual currently holding the position.

Recruitment Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Memphis in October 2009.

Initially submitted an application for a different position but was contacted by the Supervisor and encouraged to apply for the Recruitment Coordinator position instead. I submitted by resume, cover letter, and references. Within two weeks I was contacted to come in for an interview.

Interview Questions
    I was not able to negotiate my salary. I wish that I had been able to.