University of Michigan

www.umich.edu

University of Michigan CAD Graphic Specialist Associate At the Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning Interview Questions

1 Interview Review

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Michigan in August 2012.

Applied through their online system, received a Confirmation of Successful Application back to my email. About 10 days later I received an email to schedule an interview. Had the interview with 3 people (concurrently) that worked at the media center, one of them a manager of same.

The job was much more straight forward that the description of it in the job posting, it boiled down to printing graphic files on large HP plotters, supervising student doing self-prints, and, working in the coffee shop that was part of the media center. No mention of the coffee shop was in the job posting though it would not have been a deal breaker for me. Very proficient familiarity with current Adobe graphics programs and a very good graphic arts background were in the job listing as was 3D software experience. I had all that though it turned out the 3D experience was not needed at all, hands on assistance for students printing was not part of the job, I assumed it would be. If the student screwed up their printout (low-res files, missing links, etc) they would only be told how to fix the issue, not actually given help on how to do that hands on, if you know what I mean.

A little bit of an attitude from the manager towards the students though all three principals at the interview were quite nice. The HR rep who was the point person through emails, was not actually at the interview, though that's probably inconsequential. Got a phone call about a week later, from the Media center manager, telling me I didn't get the job. I thanked her. All in all it was very congenial.

Interview Questions
  • I was shown 3 examples of "bad" printouts to diagnose, that is diagnose the root cause of why they turned out looking bad.   View Answer
  • Why do you want to work at the U of M?   View Answer