University of Michigan Health System

Relevance Date Difficulty

Middle Management Interview

Middle Management
Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Michigan Health System.

Interview Details – Make your cover letter and resume one document, and submit online. Highlight all applicable experience - you don't need to be an expert, just have some experience. Volunteer experience counts. Expect not to hear for 3 - 8 weeks. Expect a group interview. Multiple rounds are likely. They try to seek the absolute ideal candidate, so may re-post the job. If so, apply again, still a good chance you'll get it. Also, we hire a lot of temporaries into permanent jobs, also contractors. So working with a local agency is a great way to get your foot in the door.

Interview Question – Hiring interest is long term, stable employees. Expect to be asked about why you left former jobs, why you only stayed X years.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – This is your only chance to negotiate for a higher salary EVER. Never take the first offer. Ask for at least 15% more.

Registered Nurse - OR Intern Interview

Registered Nurse - OR Intern
Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at University of Michigan Health System in June 2014.

Interview Details – The initial application is online, through umnursing.org. This is a standard application, including cover letter and resume. Since this position was for an intern position licensure was not required to be considered for the position. New grads are typically contacted by nurse recruitment to go over the application and resume and ask some basic questions, such as "why nursing?"
Approximately 2 1/2 weeks after applying I was contacted to set up an interview. I needed to schedule the interview approximately 3 weeks ahead of time due to the number of applicants.
The interview lasted approximately 30 - 45 minutes and I interviewed with two of the unit managers. The interview consisted of behavioral based questions, approx. 20? At this time I was asked to set up an observation day, scheduled for the next week.
The observation day consisted of following an OR nurse for 4 hours. At this time I met a unit educator, but did not have any contact with the hiring managers.
I was contacted by a hiring manager less than a week after my observation day to determine how the observation day went and also extend a job offer at that time.
I had nothing but positive interactions with all personnel. I had the opportunity to speak with a previous OR intern and she gave a glowing review of the OR internship.

Interview Questions

• What piece of medical technology do you feel you have mastered?   View Answer
  • Tell us about a mistake you made in the clinical setting and how you handled this and made it right.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Considering this is my first job out of nursing school and it's an internship, I did not feel as though it's appropriate to negotiate, but I also feel as though my compensation and benefits are more than fair.

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate
Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Michigan Health System in January 2013.

Interview Details – the interview process was simple. first I had a phone screen with the professor. he told me he was interested and invited for an in-person interview with one of his team members and himself. they briefly went over my projects and asked me to walk through my resume. they explained a lot about the position and then what research they were doing. they showed me the lab and then introduced me to all the staff in the lab. it was a positive experience.

Interview Question – there was nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – the pay was fixed due to the funding

Research Area Specialist Intermediate Interview

Research Area Specialist Intermediate
Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Michigan Health System in February 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process is fairly standard. You will likely receive an e-mail from your direct supervisor or their administrative assistant to set up a phone interview. This interview is very preliminary and the questions will mostly be about getting to know you, your educational and professional experience, skills, etc. You'll be able to ask some questions about the position as well. If you pass this round, you'll go in and meet with others (depending on the size of your unit). There may be a 2nd round in-person. If selected, you'll receive a phone call with your offer.

Interview Question – The questions were very straightforward; nothing out of the ordinary. Just be prepared to talk about yourself; be open, honest, and real, and you'll do fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried to negotiate, but was told I had to come in at a comparable salary to someone else already on the team. I felt like this was unjust but accepted the position. This person ended up leaving, too. However, the following year, I was given an additional raise that put me at a more acceptable rate to others on my team. Management made the right decision here.

Administrative Manager Interview

Administrative Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at University of Michigan Health System in February 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process was very smooth. I was interviewed four times in total. Initially by the hiring manager and a physician director, then on the same day by an administrative leadership group and physician leadership group. Finally, I was interviewed by the top physician leader and the top administrative leader of this department. All of this was coordinated by the operations manager and was very well setup. Most people did a very good job or asking questions that would expose my strengths and weaknesses as a candidate for this role. One of the interviewees was more interested in talking herself than allowing me to speak. Overall, it was a very fair experience.

Negotiation Details – I was offered the position and my salary was below the minimum salary for my title. i accepted because I felt that my performance would prove my worth and I would eventually be making a decent salary. Even after two planned reviews by an executive leader, I am just now at the base salary for my position while being told that I'm one of the highest performing people in my position by everyone in a leadership role. Talk about a demotivating message.

Very Easy Interview

Regulatory Project Manager Interview

Regulatory Project Manager
Ann Arbor, MI

I applied in-person and interviewed at University of Michigan Health System.

Interview Details – I had previously discussed my interest in the job and had worked in a similar field. The position was posted and I immediately interviewed.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions, as I was already familiar with what the position would entail and because they already knew my background.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at University of Michigan Health System in August 2009.

Interview Details – One on One interview then group interview. Asked basic questions - how would you respond to this? What are your strengths/weaknesses

Interview Question – What are your strengths   Answer Question

Cytogenetic Technologist Interview

Cytogenetic Technologist
Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Michigan Health System in July 2008.

Interview Details – I interviewed with the lab supervisor, lab co-director and senior technologist. I was then called back for a second interview and spoke w/ the supervisor and both of the co-directors for the lab. Advice: make sure resume is up to date and you have answers ready for any potentially negative items, ask questions and dress properly for the interview - wear a suit.

Interview Questions

• Gaps in my resume that weren't accounted for by being in school   View Answer
  • Re: change in career or the type of work I was doing   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not really. I was able to increase their offer by $1K.

IT Compliance Interview

IT Compliance

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Michigan Health System in February 2011.

Interview Details – The interviewer asked some technical questions about the IT security and also ask if you have system assessment experience.

Interview Question – Tell me about your experience in BCP in detail   Answer Question

Worked for University of Michigan Health System? Contribute to the Community!