University of Michigan Health System

University of Michigan Health System Interview Questions

Updated Jul 18, 2015

2.4

RN Staff Nurse Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Michigan Health System.

Interview

Applied online, contacted HR recruiter and notify her of job I had applied for and interests. Received a interview approximately a month later. They wanted three professional references and certs (e.g., BLS, ACLS) to be brought to interview. Interviewed with Nurse Manager which lasted almost an hour (mostly performance based questions) and then had staff interview with three RN's on the floor which lasted about 15 minutes. Was offered a position about a week later.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about a time you had a difficult patient and how did you handle it? 2. Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with staff and how did you handle it? What was the outcome? 3. Tell me about a time when you provided excellent customer service.   Answer Question

IT Project Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at University of Michigan Health System.

Interview

This was with the Inpatient Capacity Optimization department. Contacted and asked to appear for an in-person interview with a couple of days notice. The interviewer specified the interview would be between 30 and 60 minutes long. The interview only lasted 30 minutes and the questions were not very thoughtful. A few days later I received an email from the interviewer explaining that I was not selected for the position and a rather lengthy reason why. The points raised were items that were nonexistent on my resume (and in the job posting).They could have ruled me out immediately upon application. With that said, the interview was a waste of my time and theirs. I will not be recommending this workplace to others for this reason.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience in position 'X' (referring to a position over 10 years in the past).   Answer Question

Middle Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of Michigan Health System (Ann Arbor, MI).

Interview

Make your cover letter and resume one document, and submit online. Highlight all applicable experience - you don't need to be an expert, just have some experience. Volunteer experience counts. Expect not to hear for 3 - 8 weeks. Expect a group interview. Multiple rounds are likely. They try to seek the absolute ideal candidate, so may re-post the job. If so, apply again, still a good chance you'll get it. Also, we hire a lot of temporaries into permanent jobs, also contractors. So working with a local agency is a great way to get your foot in the door.

Interview Questions

• Hiring interest is long term, stable employees. Expect to be asked about why you left former jobs, why you only stayed X years.   1 Answer

Negotiation

This is your only chance to negotiate for a higher salary EVER. Never take the first offer. Ask for at least 15% more.

Registered Nurse - OR Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at University of Michigan Health System (Ann Arbor, MI) in June 2014.

Interview

The initial application is online, through umnursing.org. This is a standard application, including cover letter and resume. Since this position was for an intern position licensure was not required to be considered for the position. New grads are typically contacted by nurse recruitment to go over the application and resume and ask some basic questions, such as "why nursing?" Approximately 2 1/2 weeks after applying I was contacted to set up an interview. I needed to schedule the interview approximately 3 weeks ahead of time due to the number of applicants. The interview lasted approximately 30 - 45 minutes and I interviewed with two of the unit managers. The interview consisted of behavioral based questions, approx. 20? At this time I was asked to set up an observation day, scheduled for the next week. The observation day consisted of following an OR nurse for 4 hours. At this time I met a unit educator, but did not have any contact with the hiring managers. I was contacted by a hiring manager less than a week after my observation day to determine how the observation day went and also extend a job offer at that time. I had nothing but positive interactions with all personnel. I had the opportunity to speak with a previous OR intern and she gave a glowing review of the OR internship.

Interview Questions

• What piece of medical technology do you feel you have mastered?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a mistake you made in the clinical setting and how you handled this and made it right.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Considering this is my first job out of nursing school and it's an internship, I did not feel as though it's appropriate to negotiate, but I also feel as though my compensation and benefits are more than fair.

Stage III Project Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Michigan Health System (Ann Arbor, MI) in December 2013.

Interview

Was emailed about the position and set up a half hour interview on a website. Two employees conducted the interview and did not go into much depth. There were not many behavioral questions. The process was quick.

Patient Care Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at University of Michigan Health System (Ann Arbor, MI) in April 2013.

Interview

I had a short 30-60 minute interview. I was notified within a few days that I was hired. After I was asked to answer about 5 questions, a brief description of the job was given. I was already familiar with the unit, so I did not shadow or get a tour of the unit. This is usually a standard part of the interview process.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Michigan Health System in February 2013.

Interview

Interview process was very smooth. I was interviewed four times in total. Initially by the hiring manager and a physician director, then on the same day by an administrative leadership group and physician leadership group. Finally, I was interviewed by the top physician leader and the top administrative leader of this department. All of this was coordinated by the operations manager and was very well setup. Most people did a very good job or asking questions that would expose my strengths and weaknesses as a candidate for this role. One of the interviewees was more interested in talking herself than allowing me to speak. Overall, it was a very fair experience.

Negotiation

I was offered the position and my salary was below the minimum salary for my title. i accepted because I felt that my performance would prove my worth and I would eventually be making a decent salary. Even after two planned reviews by an executive leader, I am just now at the base salary for my position while being told that I'm one of the highest performing people in my position by everyone in a leadership role. Talk about a demotivating message.

Research Area Specialist Intermediate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Michigan Health System (Ann Arbor, MI) in February 2013.

Interview

The interview process is fairly standard. You will likely receive an e-mail from your direct supervisor or their administrative assistant to set up a phone interview. This interview is very preliminary and the questions will mostly be about getting to know you, your educational and professional experience, skills, etc. You'll be able to ask some questions about the position as well. If you pass this round, you'll go in and meet with others (depending on the size of your unit). There may be a 2nd round in-person. If selected, you'll receive a phone call with your offer.

Interview Questions

• The questions were very straightforward; nothing out of the ordinary. Just be prepared to talk about yourself; be open, honest, and real, and you'll do fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate, but was told I had to come in at a comparable salary to someone else already on the team. I felt like this was unjust but accepted the position. This person ended up leaving, too. However, the following year, I was given an additional raise that put me at a more acceptable rate to others on my team. Management made the right decision here.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Michigan Health System (Ann Arbor, MI) in January 2013.

Interview

the interview process was simple. first I had a phone screen with the professor. he told me he was interested and invited for an in-person interview with one of his team members and himself. they briefly went over my projects and asked me to walk through my resume. they explained a lot about the position and then what research they were doing. they showed me the lab and then introduced me to all the staff in the lab. it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

the pay was fixed due to the funding

Regulatory Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at University of Michigan Health System (Ann Arbor, MI).

Interview

I had previously discussed my interest in the job and had worked in a similar field. The position was posted and I immediately interviewed.

Interview Questions

• There were no unexpected questions, as I was already familiar with what the position would entail and because they already knew my background.   Answer Question