University of Michigan Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

2.6

Research Assistant Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at University of Michigan.

nothing special. personality fit. be nice and be polite. don't be a jerk. be humble and be yourself. show that you have flexible schedule and great work ethics. be confident and be patient. one rounds of interview

Interview Questions
    • do you have leadership experience? what are your special skills? What year are you? what are your previous jobs?   Answer Question

Graduate Student Instructor Interview

No interview, it is part of the work that you have to do being a Graduate Student. You will have some choice and will be assigned to one depending on demand

No negotiation

Media Analyst Interview

After submitting my application, I heard back within a few days. There was just a quick behavioral interview. The position was more about fit than anything. They did ask some technical questions about my experience, but nothing unexpected or difficult given the nature of the position. The whole thing lasted less than 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    No real negotiation since it was just a part-time gig.

Bus Driver Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Michigan.

Very behavioral-based. The interviewer takes you to a secluded office and asks you a few basic questions: Why do you want the job? How many hours can you work per week? What are your strengths? What are some of your weaknesses?

Development Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Michigan in September 2014.

Overall, the process can be summed up by "hurry up and wait!" As with most companies or institutions of this size, there are a lot of boxes that need to be checked and people that need to be involved in the hiring decision. Sometimes their schedules may not be easily aligned and that may require patience as you move through the process though there are often short bursts of a lot of activity and requirements for information from the applicant on short notice.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't many difficult or unexpected questions, though HR will ask a lot of "tell me about a time when you ... " questions on the spot. You'll need to be prepared to answer as best you can in the moment. Probably an exercise to see how quickly you can think on your feet more than actually getting the best, most accurate answer.   View Answer

Academic Support Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Michigan in September 2014.

Contacted via email for interview. Had interviews with 2 managers immediately followed by a group interview with 4 coworkers. Briefly spoke with Administrative Assistant afterward who was not sure if they were doing second interviews.

Interview Questions
    • How would you relate to College of Engineering students?   View Answer
    • What do you think is the biggest challenge facing students today?   View Answer

Field Interviewer Interview

I applied in July and took a typing test that they emailed me. Two months pass and I finally get an email telling me to set up an interview time during the second week of September. The two ladies conducting the interview were great! So nice and personable; they really made me feel at ease. One of the ladies explained the bj to me in greater detail. I just did some assessments on the computer and did a mock interview (that's the main job). Then answered a few questions, some behavior-based and background. Asked a bunch of questions after. They offered me the position when the interview was over.

Interview Questions
    • How have you dealt with conflict concerning a supervisor or coworker?   Answer Question
    Set rate depending on the city you'll be working in.

Part Time Hardware Engineer Interview

Very friendly. I like them. Very easy interview questions as I have taken lots of courses they need. They just went through my resume, and read my project code snippet, and ask some random questions like the availability and how heavy was my course work. They are actually working for UM Hospital, and one of them is a German student. In general, very nice people and I'd love to work with them again. Comfortable and positive experience.

Research Scientist Interview

Didnt have an interview since I just transitioned from Phd to research scientist. Most of the departments will do the same to help students till they can find a job.

Field Interviewer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Michigan in July 2014.

I found the interview process to be a good combination of professionalism and friendliness. Interviewers were wonderful women that I would enjoy knowing better. The location was fairly easy to find even though I was unfamaliar with area.

Interview Questions
    • How to deal with a supervisior or co-worker that you do not get along with.   Answer Question
    Still negotiating salary