University of Michigan Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.6

Graduate Student Instructor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Michigan.

Met the Dean, Graduate Coordinator, 4 additional faculty members in my research area and 2 current graduate students. Each interview was between 30-45 minutes. Casual but questions were specific to my background and my career interest.

Interview Questions
    There wasn't one. They have one standard package for every graduate student.

Event Management Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Michigan.

they put you in a large room then you filled out a form, and then you were sent to speak to two of the superiors. they then give you a position and email you a form, after filling it out, you attend training.

Lab Manager/Research Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Michigan.

Done by PI or Business Manager. Applied online at UMjobs.org. PI contacted me directly. Asked basic questions. Got an offer within two days. Be aware that PIs are generally the direct supervisor (the one you report to) and Business Managers will take of admin stuff (timesheets, etc).

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions. Strengths/weakness. Asked about former job experiences. Problem solving examples.   Answer Question
    No negotiation because of federal grant funding. The U of M pays a lot less than comparable industry jobs but if you like the research, it's worth it. Plus UM has great employer match 401K (10% match)

Applications Programmer/Analyst Intermediate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at University of Michigan in March 2014.

Initial contact within 2 weeks of applying for the job. First interview via phone, second and third via videoconference. I was an out of state candidate and I think the second and/or third could have been onsite for local, in-state candidates. The interview chair kept me up-to-date on the various stages of the interview. All three stages of the interview were complete within 2 weeks and a decision made witihin a further two weeks for a total of 1 month since initial contact. Overall, very pleasant experience interviewing with UMich.

GSRA Interview

No interview. It is based on your application document. If you have good research experience it is a plus. High GPA is also a plus. Published papers a plus.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Michigan in July 2010.

I contacted a PI I was interested asking if they had any available positions with my resume attached. She said they were looking to hire and we set up a meeting. During the meeting, I spoke with her about the research specifics, my interests, and techniques I had experience with. I also met with the other lab members and the PI demonstrated how to work with the model organism. She offered the job on the spot, but I was waiting to hear back from another lab. Later, I made my choice and accepted by email.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was being asked to explain the research I did in my previous lab. As and undergrad, it's intimidating to explain science to a PI.   Answer Question

Office of Technology Transfer Fellow Interview

Face to face interview on resume and past accomplishments to see how good of a fit the candidate is regarding a diverse background and skillset

Interview Questions
    • How do you think you will be contributing to the OTT Fellows program different than otger grad students in the University?   Answer Question

Leo Lecturer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online - interviewed at University of Michigan.

Online application with letter and cv, email request for teaching materials and student evaluations, phone interview, email set up face-to-face interview, interview with 3-5 individuals, offer letter.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your teaching pedagogy and what you do in the classroom, with assignments and activities and learning outcomes that reflect that philosophy.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation phase for a lecturer.

Research Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Michigan.

This was a stunningly unprofessional interview. I was invited to campus following a phone interview and then told they would only cover $500. No one told me that cab fare from the airport would be $60-70 (each way). Also, they gave me less than 2 weeks notice, so airfare wasn't cheap. I had asked for a copy of the full grant proposal but it wasn't emailed until late afternoon the day before I was to fly out, at 5 am. Upon reading it I nearly cancelled, because there were a number of red flags. When queried, the director gave answers that were plausible. I decided to go because I thought it would at least be a networking opportunity, because there were to be more people interviewing me than were at the phone interview. It wasn't. In fact, there were only a few interviewers, 3 I believe, and two had been on the phone interview. And, I had to do a presentation, which I spent time preparing. I flew in and out in one day for no more than a one hour interview. Had to find my own way around campus, find some lunch, etc. I did get a short tour of the building, but then of course had to call my own cab to get to the airport. The only thing I got from the interview was that (a) they already knew who they were hiring (not me) and (b) the director would be a terrible "boss."

Interview Questions
    • Nothing terribly difficult or unexpected. All rather perfunctory and canned.   Answer Question

Student Food Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at University of Michigan in January 2014.

university housing office for interview and application. Then, they will assign you to different dining hall for service according to your accessibility and overall circumstances.

no negotiation involved.