University of Michigan

Relevance Date Difficulty

GSRA Interview

GSRA

Interviewed at University of Michigan

Interview Details – No interview. It is based on your application document. If you have good research experience it is a plus. High GPA is also a plus. Published papers a plus.

Interview Question – No interview so no questions.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Michigan in July 2010.

Interview Details – I contacted a PI I was interested asking if they had any available positions with my resume attached. She said they were looking to hire and we set up a meeting. During the meeting, I spoke with her about the research specifics, my interests, and techniques I had experience with. I also met with the other lab members and the PI demonstrated how to work with the model organism. She offered the job on the spot, but I was waiting to hear back from another lab. Later, I made my choice and accepted by email.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was being asked to explain the research I did in my previous lab. As and undergrad, it's intimidating to explain science to a PI.   Answer Question

Office of Technology Transfer Fellow Interview

Office of Technology Transfer Fellow

Interviewed at University of Michigan

Interview Details – Face to face interview on resume and past accomplishments to see how good of a fit the candidate is regarding a diverse background and skillset

Interview Question – How do you think you will be contributing to the OTT Fellows program different than otger grad students in the University?   Answer Question

Research Director Interview

Research Director
Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Michigan.

Interview Details – This was a stunningly unprofessional interview. I was invited to campus following a phone interview and then told they would only cover $500. No one told me that cab fare from the airport would be $60-70 (each way). Also, they gave me less than 2 weeks notice, so airfare wasn't cheap. I had asked for a copy of the full grant proposal but it wasn't emailed until late afternoon the day before I was to fly out, at 5 am. Upon reading it I nearly cancelled, because there were a number of red flags. When queried, the director gave answers that were plausible. I decided to go because I thought it would at least be a networking opportunity, because there were to be more people interviewing me than were at the phone interview. It wasn't. In fact, there were only a few interviewers, 3 I believe, and two had been on the phone interview. And, I had to do a presentation, which I spent time preparing. I flew in and out in one day for no more than a one hour interview. Had to find my own way around campus, find some lunch, etc. I did get a short tour of the building, but then of course had to call my own cab to get to the airport. The only thing I got from the interview was that (a) they already knew who they were hiring (not me) and (b) the director would be a terrible "boss."

Interview Question – Nothing terribly difficult or unexpected. All rather perfunctory and canned.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Leo Lecturer II Interview

Leo Lecturer II
Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online and interviewed at University of Michigan.

Interview Details – Online application with letter and cv, email request for teaching materials and student evaluations, phone interview, email set up face-to-face interview, interview with 3-5 individuals, offer letter.

Interview Question – Describe your teaching pedagogy and what you do in the classroom, with assignments and activities and learning outcomes that reflect that philosophy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation phase for a lecturer.

Student Food Service Interview

Student Food Service
Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at University of Michigan in January 2014.

Interview Details – university housing office for interview and application. Then, they will assign you to different dining hall for service according to your accessibility and overall circumstances.

Negotiation Details – no negotiation involved.

Marketing/Graphic Design Intern Interview

Marketing/Graphic Design Intern

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Michigan.

Interview Details – Applied early online and was called about 30 minutes later to meet in person. When I came to town about a month later, we looked over my portfolio, got the lowdown on the internship, and was offered the position. Very friendly and relaxed environment.

Interview Question – How does your work as a student translate to the work you want to do with us?   Answer Question

Student Affairs Program Manager Interview

Student Affairs Program Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Michigan.

Interview Details – Three interviews, kind people, competitive! 200+ candidates.

Negotiation Details – Not really. HR where I was - School of Public Health - incredible difficult to work with.

West Quad Housing: Student Secretary Interview

West Quad Housing: Student Secretary

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Michigan.

Interview Details – I applied through the University of Michigan's very simple and easy-to-use Student Employment website. About a week after I submitted, I received an email inviting me to an interview on site and checking if I was okay to work certain days and times of the week. I took this as a positive sign, and sure enough, the interview was very straightforward; I think they were just looking to hire people right away, and they anticipated that for many students, this would be their first job.

Interview Question – What is the biggest challenge you expect to face in this job, and how will you overcome it?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was offered another better-paid job in a different university department about the same time.

Registered Nurse Interview

Registered Nurse
Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at University of Michigan in May 2010.

Interview Details – The staff is very friendly and helpful. They met with me on several occasions to make sure I was a great fit. I met with several of the upper management and was allowed to "shadow" to make sure the job was a fit based on my own experience.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in the future of this company?   Answer Question