University of Michigan Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015
Updated Mar 24, 2015

2.6

Research Scientist Interview

Didnt have an interview since I just transitioned from Phd to research scientist. Most of the departments will do the same to help students till they can find a job.

Field Interviewer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Michigan in July 2014.

I found the interview process to be a good combination of professionalism and friendliness. Interviewers were wonderful women that I would enjoy knowing better. The location was fairly easy to find even though I was unfamaliar with area.

Interview Questions
    • How to deal with a supervisior or co-worker that you do not get along with.   Answer Question
    Still negotiating salary

Patient Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Apply online.. received a call from HR for interview (but first you will have to complete PEP program prior in applying). Phone interview first, then in person, sometimes a second or third interview depends on department.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through college or university – interviewed at University of Michigan.

Contacted through email first. After a few emails back and forth with a recruiter, I was able to get an in-person interview. The person I interviewed with was very nice and gave me a broad overview of the position. They are very flexible with hours and taking time off. I really liked working for UofM. Wish more jobs would open up.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected questions was, "what didn't you like about your previous supervisor?"   View Answer

Graduate Student Instructor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Michigan.

Met the Dean, Graduate Coordinator, 4 additional faculty members in my research area and 2 current graduate students. Each interview was between 30-45 minutes. Casual but questions were specific to my background and my career interest.

Interview Questions
    There wasn't one. They have one standard package for every graduate student.

Event Management Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Michigan.

they put you in a large room then you filled out a form, and then you were sent to speak to two of the superiors. they then give you a position and email you a form, after filling it out, you attend training.

Marketing & Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at University of Michigan in June 2014.

I applied online as an external candidate for a position that was closing in 1 day. I received an email the very next day saying that I had been chosen to move to the next step in the process which was a phone interview. The phone interview was scheduled for the following week and would end up lasting about 30-35 minutes. The interview was very standardized as with most public/government organizations. There were standard things the interviewer shared with me like the fact that in the event they chose me for the position I would have to submit to a thorough background check which would include reference checks and degree verification. What I like about UofM is that their hiring system is decentralized and you don't have to make it past an hr screening to get to the people you'll be working for. Resumes go directly to the hiring manager, so in my opinion you are more likely to get an interview if you have transferable skill sets that match the position rather than work history in a similar position. Smart hiring managers can read between the lines and will understand how your skills can translate. After the phone interview I received an email that said I would be moving on the second round which was a face to face interview that would last an hour. At the interview I was required to bring a portfolio and I was asked behavior based questions as well as questions related to the specific position. At the end of the interview I was told that I would hear back in a week. I heard back probably two to three weeks later letting me know that I would not be offered the position. I was told that I needed more experience but that they enjoyed my enthusiasm and my well put together portfolio.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a decision you made that was unpopular and how you handled implementing it.   Answer Question

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Michigan in June 2014.

I found the job online on the umich student employment website and applied there. Received an email about scheduling an interview. It was a very easy interview. Found out I was hired a week or two later.

Interview Questions
    • What skills do you have that will be applicable to this position?   Answer Question

Lab Manager/Research Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Michigan.

Done by PI or Business Manager. Applied online at UMjobs.org. PI contacted me directly. Asked basic questions. Got an offer within two days. Be aware that PIs are generally the direct supervisor (the one you report to) and Business Managers will take of admin stuff (timesheets, etc).

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions. Strengths/weakness. Asked about former job experiences. Problem solving examples.   Answer Question
    No negotiation because of federal grant funding. The U of M pays a lot less than comparable industry jobs but if you like the research, it's worth it. Plus UM has great employer match 401K (10% match)

GSRA Interview

No interview. It is based on your application document. If you have good research experience it is a plus. High GPA is also a plus. Published papers a plus.