University of Michigan

Updated Jan 13, 2015
Updated Jan 13, 2015

2.6

Graduate Student Instructor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Michigan.

Met the Dean, Graduate Coordinator, 4 additional faculty members in my research area and 2 current graduate students. Each interview was between 30-45 minutes. Casual but questions were specific to my background and my career interest.

Interview Questions
    There wasn't one. They have one standard package for every graduate student.

Event Management Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Michigan.

they put you in a large room then you filled out a form, and then you were sent to speak to two of the superiors. they then give you a position and email you a form, after filling it out, you attend training.

Marketing & Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at University of Michigan in June 2014.

I applied online as an external candidate for a position that was closing in 1 day. I received an email the very next day saying that I had been chosen to move to the next step in the process which was a phone interview. The phone interview was scheduled for the following week and would end up lasting about 30-35 minutes. The interview was very standardized as with most public/government organizations. There were standard things the interviewer shared with me like the fact that in the event they chose me for the position I would have to submit to a thorough background check which would include reference checks and degree verification. What I like about UofM is that their hiring system is decentralized and you don't have to make it past an hr screening to get to the people you'll be working for. Resumes go directly to the hiring manager, so in my opinion you are more likely to get an interview if you have transferable skill sets that match the position rather than work history in a similar position. Smart hiring managers can read between the lines and will understand how your skills can translate. After the phone interview I received an email that said I would be moving on the second round which was a face to face interview that would last an hour. At the interview I was required to bring a portfolio and I was asked behavior based questions as well as questions related to the specific position. At the end of the interview I was told that I would hear back in a week. I heard back probably two to three weeks later letting me know that I would not be offered the position. I was told that I needed more experience but that they enjoyed my enthusiasm and my well put together portfolio.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a decision you made that was unpopular and how you handled implementing it.   Answer Question

Lab Manager/Research Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Michigan.

Done by PI or Business Manager. Applied online at UMjobs.org. PI contacted me directly. Asked basic questions. Got an offer within two days. Be aware that PIs are generally the direct supervisor (the one you report to) and Business Managers will take of admin stuff (timesheets, etc).

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions. Strengths/weakness. Asked about former job experiences. Problem solving examples.   Answer Question
    No negotiation because of federal grant funding. The U of M pays a lot less than comparable industry jobs but if you like the research, it's worth it. Plus UM has great employer match 401K (10% match)

GSRA Interview

No interview. It is based on your application document. If you have good research experience it is a plus. High GPA is also a plus. Published papers a plus.

Office of Technology Transfer Fellow Interview

Face to face interview on resume and past accomplishments to see how good of a fit the candidate is regarding a diverse background and skillset

Interview Questions
    • How do you think you will be contributing to the OTT Fellows program different than otger grad students in the University?   Answer Question

Research Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Michigan.

This was a stunningly unprofessional interview. I was invited to campus following a phone interview and then told they would only cover $500. No one told me that cab fare from the airport would be $60-70 (each way). Also, they gave me less than 2 weeks notice, so airfare wasn't cheap. I had asked for a copy of the full grant proposal but it wasn't emailed until late afternoon the day before I was to fly out, at 5 am. Upon reading it I nearly cancelled, because there were a number of red flags. When queried, the director gave answers that were plausible. I decided to go because I thought it would at least be a networking opportunity, because there were to be more people interviewing me than were at the phone interview. It wasn't. In fact, there were only a few interviewers, 3 I believe, and two had been on the phone interview. And, I had to do a presentation, which I spent time preparing. I flew in and out in one day for no more than a one hour interview. Had to find my own way around campus, find some lunch, etc. I did get a short tour of the building, but then of course had to call my own cab to get to the airport. The only thing I got from the interview was that (a) they already knew who they were hiring (not me) and (b) the director would be a terrible "boss."

Interview Questions
    • Nothing terribly difficult or unexpected. All rather perfunctory and canned.   Answer Question

Leo Lecturer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online – interviewed at University of Michigan.

Online application with letter and cv, email request for teaching materials and student evaluations, phone interview, email set up face-to-face interview, interview with 3-5 individuals, offer letter.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your teaching pedagogy and what you do in the classroom, with assignments and activities and learning outcomes that reflect that philosophy.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation phase for a lecturer.

Marketing/Graphic Design Intern Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Michigan.

Applied early online and was called about 30 minutes later to meet in person. When I came to town about a month later, we looked over my portfolio, got the lowdown on the internship, and was offered the position. Very friendly and relaxed environment.

Interview Questions
    • How does your work as a student translate to the work you want to do with us?   Answer Question

Student Affairs Program Manager Interview

Three interviews, kind people, competitive! 200+ candidates.

Not really. HR where I was - School of Public Health - incredible difficult to work with.