University of Michigan Interview Questions

Updated Jul 26, 2015

2.6

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI).

Interview

Contacted through email first. After a few emails back and forth with a recruiter, I was able to get an in-person interview. The person I interviewed with was very nice and gave me a broad overview of the position. They are very flexible with hours and taking time off. I really liked working for UofM. Wish more jobs would open up.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected questions was, "what didn't you like about your previous supervisor?"   1 Answer

Graduate Student Instructor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Michigan.

Interview

Met the Dean, Graduate Coordinator, 4 additional faculty members in my research area and 2 current graduate students. Each interview was between 30-45 minutes. Casual but questions were specific to my background and my career interest.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There wasn't one. They have one standard package for every graduate student.

Event Management Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Michigan.

Interview

they put you in a large room then you filled out a form, and then you were sent to speak to two of the superiors. they then give you a position and email you a form, after filling it out, you attend training.

Marketing & Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online as an external candidate for a position that was closing in 1 day. I received an email the very next day saying that I had been chosen to move to the next step in the process which was a phone interview. The phone interview was scheduled for the following week and would end up lasting about 30-35 minutes. The interview was very standardized as with most public/government organizations. There were standard things the interviewer shared with me like the fact that in the event they chose me for the position I would have to submit to a thorough background check which would include reference checks and degree verification. What I like about UofM is that their hiring system is decentralized and you don't have to make it past an hr screening to get to the people you'll be working for. Resumes go directly to the hiring manager, so in my opinion you are more likely to get an interview if you have transferable skill sets that match the position rather than work history in a similar position. Smart hiring managers can read between the lines and will understand how your skills can translate. After the phone interview I received an email that said I would be moving on the second round which was a face to face interview that would last an hour. At the interview I was required to bring a portfolio and I was asked behavior based questions as well as questions related to the specific position. At the end of the interview I was told that I would hear back in a week. I heard back probably two to three weeks later letting me know that I would not be offered the position. I was told that I needed more experience but that they enjoyed my enthusiasm and my well put together portfolio.

Interview Questions

• Describe a decision you made that was unpopular and how you handled implementing it.   Answer Question

Lead Setup Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) in June 2014.

Interview

Was more of a casual conversation in order to gauge the mentality rather than the skill. Most of the workers are part time so they would rather not have any issues between one another.

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) in June 2014.

Interview

I found the job online on the umich student employment website and applied there. Received an email about scheduling an interview. It was a very easy interview. Found out I was hired a week or two later.

Interview Questions

• What skills do you have that will be applicable to this position?   Answer Question

Lab Manager/Research Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI).

Interview

Done by PI or Business Manager. Applied online at UMjobs.org. PI contacted me directly. Asked basic questions. Got an offer within two days. Be aware that PIs are generally the direct supervisor (the one you report to) and Business Managers will take of admin stuff (timesheets, etc).

Interview Questions

• Basic questions. Strengths/weakness. Asked about former job experiences. Problem solving examples.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation because of federal grant funding. The U of M pays a lot less than comparable industry jobs but if you like the research, it's worth it. Plus UM has great employer match 401K (10% match)

Assistant Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) in May 2014.

Interview

It was very casual. I was given the questions ahead of time so I could prepare. It was a very conversational atmosphere, with little stress. No right or wrong answers, just wanted to see my thinking. Overall, a pleasant experience.

GSRA Interview

Interview

No interview. It is based on your application document. If you have good research experience it is a plus. High GPA is also a plus. Published papers a plus.

Interview Questions

Interview

Face to face interview on resume and past accomplishments to see how good of a fit the candidate is regarding a diverse background and skillset

Interview Questions

• How do you think you will be contributing to the OTT Fellows program different than otger grad students in the University?   Answer Question