University of Michigan Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

2.6

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at University of Michigan.

Was asked simple questions about my resume, previous work experience, what my long term goals were. I was asked if I have any long term ambitions, whether I wish to advance in the department. I was honest and said that was my long term goal and that starting as an administrative assistant was a way I imagined to get my "foot in the door"

Interview Questions
    • There was no unexpected questions, it was a pretty straight forward interview.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at University of Michigan.

Contacted by email. Interview with all the graduate students, postdocs and research scientists in the group.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of Michigan in August 2013.

I found the description of the job on the employment posting website dedicated to Umich openings. I specifically used the filters to narrow down the posting options to those most relevant to me and my career interests. After submiting an online application, i received an email within a week from one of the Outreach Coordinators within the department asking me to send over a letter of interest and resume. A week later, I was contacted over the phone by the same coordinator to schedule an interview.

Interview Questions
    • The interview process isn't too difficult or stressful, so long as you come prepared to discuss your personal strengths and areas that you would like to improve on as well as why you are interest in the position and what you have to offer the department.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Research Assistant Interview

Was selected based on application packet, there was no interview. I suppose portfolio and topicality of your work is what determines whether or not you will get matched up with faculty.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation was available.

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through college or university – interviewed at University of Michigan in July 2013.

very casual, didn't even give a talk.
    Meet with the lab members, some gave suggestions that I wish I have followed.
    Overall, it's a easy interview and got offer right away. I think the boss made his decision even before the interview

Interview Questions
    • why do you choose this field since you have a completely different background?   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Michigan.

After receiving an email from the hiring person I went first through a phone interview and next visited Ann Arbor for an on-site interview. Both interviews were rather straightforward with nothing too surprising in terms of questions. I met with several faculty, toured the campus, and gave an hour-long seminar during the on-site interview. Overall the people I met were warm, approachable, and highly curious about my research. Very welcoming. The initial impression - consistent with my experience later - was that the school is full of very smart, yet down to earth and collaborative people, from deans and department chairs down to undergraduate students.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were particularly difficult or unexpected. I was asked about my plans and a timeline - the hiring person wanted to make sure that I would stay in the lab for at least 2 years.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Michigan.

It was simple. They seen my application and needed to hire people quickly so I met the manager and it was easy from there. She showed me everything I needed to know. There really were no questions asked other than my availability

Administrative Assistant Intermediate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Michigan in June 2013.

1/2 hour interview, Doctor talked about himself and his accomplishments for the first 20 minutes, including showing me the opulent 3rd home he was building with Google satellite.

Interview Questions
    • None. Any interview questions about MY skills were almost an afterthought.   Answer Question
    Accepted the position because I was unemployed after having been let go by the previous doctor I worked for at UM who lied about me just because I was trying to get a higher level job and turned it into a competition. HR flat out said I had a potential lawsuit, but would never win, gave me 3 months salary to find another job, but economy took a dive and Administrative jobs dried up. This happens far more to Administrative Assistants at UM than people know. We are treated as expendable, always.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online and got contacted by the professor

I Work for the Medical School Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Michigan.

* Applied online for multiple positions
    * I was only contacted by those interested in interviewing me
    * I had an initial phone interview then two in person interviews meeting my direct supervisor and the heads of the program
    * HR was great once I was offered the position and they are amazing when it comes to figuring out and choosing benefits

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall there being a very difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question
    No negotiations