University of Minnesota Executive Assistant Interview Questions

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Minnesota in June 2009.

The University only allows online submissions though its HR portal, so this was how I applied. From knowing people who work at the University, I must say that this process is ridiculous. If you miss mentioning one single task that is required for the position (like not putting down that you know how to answer a phone, even though you've been a secretary for ten years), your application is rejected.

I was called for an interview for a union-represented executive assistant position in the Office of the Vice President for Research, so the interview had to go completely according to the union mandates. There were three people present during the interview and the questions were stock questions that asked about my general skills. After the interview, I was offered the position but was appalled at the amount of pay they offered. They said that the union stipulated what pay could be earned, but I did some investigating on pay, which is made public, and found that the union excuse was a load of bull. I've since learned from employees that low-balling in the pay negotiation phase is rampant and that its not unheard of at all to find out that a gullible supervisor with 10 years experience isn't earning as much as a new hire working for them. It's all a lot of lies apparently.

Interview Questions

The amount of pay was ridiculous.

Other Interview Reviews for University of Minnesota

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in August 2009.

Interview process was okay... the actual hiring manager seeming like a wonderful person, but was very busy. I was only able to speak with him for 15 minutes. Spoke to HR and one other person.
    I still left optimistic... but somewhat concerned about potential conflict with another admin that was already there and not performing well. They planned to hire me and keep her. Follow-up was slow; I left messages for HR that took over a week to be returned.

I would have had to take a $10,000 pay cut. The man I would have supported was equivalent to a CEO in the Market Place... that salary should have been $10,000 higher than my current pay. Bottom line- they were seeking a high level executive assistant and willing to pay them an entry-level receptionist salary... very disappointing.

Worked for University of Minnesota? Contribute to the Community!