University of Minnesota Interview Questions

2.5

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Morris, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morris, MN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in November 2011.

At first it was with a phone interview. Then there was a 2 hour meeting in person broken up into 4 15 minute sessions with breaks in between. One meeting was one-on-one. One was with a small group, then a larger group, and a larger group. They showed me around and were very friendly. This was a different interview than I expected, but it was a very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • They described a typical situation that comes up for the administrative position and asked how I would handle it.   Answer Question

Communications Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Minnesota in December 2011.

They obviously had a certain type of person they were looking for. They spoke poorly of the current employee that I would be assuming duties of (she was retiring) so it seemed uncomfortable. They kept fishing for the answers they wanted to hear-I didn't catch on.

Interview Questions
    • Pretend I called you on the phone, give me instructions on how to tie my shoes.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at University of Minnesota in February 2008.

Very fair and honest, well thought out hiring process and plan. The search team was well organized, prompt, and professional. There were several interviews, on the phone, and two on campus interviews with constituents and the workgroup. They were honest about what they wanted, skill sets, personalities, etc.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was not technical, but rather how to handle situations in which the outcomes were out of your control. Not a trick question, but surprising. It took a while to formulate a decent answer.   Answer Question

Decided to stay in my current position

Development Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at University of Minnesota.

The interview process went well overall. Please be prepared for both a behavioral and technical interview with specific questions on trends, university objectives, systems and previous expertise and knowledge. Know the organizational objectives, key players, structure and ask good questions. They have great opportunities across the organization.

Interview Questions
    • I cannot think of any unexpected questions during this interview.   Answer Question

The compensation was lower than last position within a large healthcare organization.

Mechanic II Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Minnesota in February 2009.

The interview consisted of 20 questions that related to the position. Each panel member asked you a question from a predetermined list. You were asked how you would troubleshoot a specific problem such as a boiler or chiller not working properly. After the panel interview I had to take a skills test that consisted of questions related to the position,

Interview Questions
    • What are the specific components in a hvac chiller system?   View Answer

Program Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at University of Minnesota.

Can take very long since this is essentially working for the state. LOTS of applicants for every job. Applicants are initially screened by Central HR to see if you meet the basic requirements. Then, applicants are sent to the departments for review. I have worked in a few departments at the U now and I noticed that positions that are in the Academic Health Center or Medical School is much more rigorous when it comes to the interviewing process then in the Liberal Arts or something else.

Interview Questions
    • What was one thing you did in your old job that demonstrated innovation?   Answer Question
    Department went through HR so that they did not need to have that "difficult conversation" about salary.

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota in August 2009.

We applied ath University's website, wait a couple months, got called for interview, waited 2 weeks, offer was made.

I accepted the offer as it was presented

Executive Office & Administrative Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in September 2012.

I was initially contacted by one of the Program Managers to set up an interview date and time via email. My first interview was on a Monday with the Executive Director. My second interview was scheduled for Friday of the same week with his executive staff - one Project Manager, one Program Manager, and one Manager of Technology Services. My third and final interview was scheduled for the following Tuesday with the Executive Director again.

All four individuals were extremely professional, pleasant, and direct. Their various personalities were genuinely expressed throughout the interview process, and after working with them for a month, I know that they were being authentic during the interviews. Their primary interests during the interviews were to be certain that (a) I could not only do the job well, but also be a good fit for their team - my hobbies, interests, and life outlook were important to all of them; and (b) I could interact well with people of diverse cultures and ethnicities across various situations.

Interview Questions
    • How much experience do you have in dealing/interacting with people of color, minorities, and/or various cultures?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation phase. Since I would be working for a specific unit/department, their offer was made with what was remaining in their annual budget after the previous permanent employee left and after having retained a temporary employee for three months. In addition, there is a union that dictates wages based upon job title/description and number of years of service within that field.

Undergraduate Programs Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through other source. The process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota in September 2011.

I submitted my resume and a cover letter for the vacancy when it was announced via the department's list serve. I got a call back to set up a face to face interview. I didn't receive a job offer initially but the following semester I was offered the position and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • I think the most difficult question was how would I apply student development theory to my everyday work with undergraduate students. There isn't a real right or wrong answer but I think the interviewer was looking to see if you were aware of applicable theories that might help guide you in working with a diverse student population   Answer Question
    there wasn't really a negotiation phase just the offer letter

Student Worker Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in January 2012.

There was one interview. Behavioral and resume review. Got back within 3 business days with an offer for the Project Management Assistant with Office of Information Technology

No negotiation.

Worked for University of Minnesota? Contribute to the Community!