University of Minnesota

Average Difficulty
75 candidate interviews

Mechanic II Interview

Mechanic II

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Minnesota in February 2009.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of 20 questions that related to the position. Each panel member asked you a question from a predetermined list. You were asked how you would troubleshoot a specific problem such as a boiler or chiller not working properly. After the panel interview I had to take a skills test that consisted of questions related to the position,

Interview Question – What are the specific components in a hvac chiller system?   View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Morris, MN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in November 2011.

Interview Details – At first it was with a phone interview. Then there was a 2 hour meeting in person broken up into 4 15 minute sessions with breaks in between. One meeting was one-on-one. One was with a small group, then a larger group, and a larger group. They showed me around and were very friendly. This was a different interview than I expected, but it was a very positive experience.

Interview Question – They described a typical situation that comes up for the administrative position and asked how I would handle it.   Answer Question

Communications Coordinator Interview

Communications Coordinator

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Minnesota in December 2011.

Interview Details – They obviously had a certain type of person they were looking for. They spoke poorly of the current employee that I would be assuming duties of (she was retiring) so it seemed uncomfortable. They kept fishing for the answers they wanted to hear-I didn't catch on.

Interview Question – Pretend I called you on the phone, give me instructions on how to tie my shoes.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at University of Minnesota in February 2008.

Interview Details – Very fair and honest, well thought out hiring process and plan. The search team was well organized, prompt, and professional. There were several interviews, on the phone, and two on campus interviews with constituents and the workgroup. They were honest about what they wanted, skill sets, personalities, etc.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was not technical, but rather how to handle situations in which the outcomes were out of your control. Not a trick question, but surprising. It took a while to formulate a decent answer.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Decided to stay in my current position

Executive Office & Administrative Specialist Interview

Executive Office & Administrative Specialist
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in September 2012.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by one of the Program Managers to set up an interview date and time via email. My first interview was on a Monday with the Executive Director. My second interview was scheduled for Friday of the same week with his executive staff - one Project Manager, one Program Manager, and one Manager of Technology Services. My third and final interview was scheduled for the following Tuesday with the Executive Director again.

All four individuals were extremely professional, pleasant, and direct. Their various personalities were genuinely expressed throughout the interview process, and after working with them for a month, I know that they were being authentic during the interviews. Their primary interests during the interviews were to be certain that (a) I could not only do the job well, but also be a good fit for their team - my hobbies, interests, and life outlook were important to all of them; and (b) I could interact well with people of diverse cultures and ethnicities across various situations.

Interview Question – How much experience do you have in dealing/interacting with people of color, minorities, and/or various cultures?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. Since I would be working for a specific unit/department, their offer was made with what was remaining in their annual budget after the previous permanent employee left and after having retained a temporary employee for three months. In addition, there is a union that dictates wages based upon job title/description and number of years of service within that field.

Development Officer Interview

Development Officer
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview Details – The interview process went well overall. Please be prepared for both a behavioral and technical interview with specific questions on trends, university objectives, systems and previous expertise and knowledge. Know the organizational objectives, key players, structure and ask good questions. They have great opportunities across the organization.

Interview Question – I cannot think of any unexpected questions during this interview.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The compensation was lower than last position within a large healthcare organization.

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota in August 2009.

Interview Details – We applied ath University's website, wait a couple months, got called for interview, waited 2 weeks, offer was made.

Negotiation Details – I accepted the offer as it was presented

Student Worker Interview

Student Worker

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in January 2012.

Interview Details – There was one interview. Behavioral and resume review. Got back within 3 business days with an offer for the Project Management Assistant with Office of Information Technology

Interview Question – Do you use MS Word frequently?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in December 2011.

Interview Details – I initially applied through the UMN employment site, which allows you to directly upload all your documents (CV, cover letter, etc.). Within several days I was emailed to set up an interview time. Several days later I had my interview on site and was then given a tour of our building. Within a week I was called with notification that I was given the position! Email communication was always very prompt.

Interview Question – As I was working in a department within the medical school, many questions involved patient privacy within clinical trials, familiarities with HIPPA guidelines, etc.   Answer Question

Accounts Assistant Interview

Accounts Assistant
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at University of Minnesota in May 2013.

Interview Details – The job interview process is very smooth. This job involved interview process starting with screening interviews, followed by in-person interviews.They emailed me to have an interview with the manager. I did, and they told me result the next day.

Interview Question – tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Worked for University of Minnesota? Contribute to the Community!