University of Minnesota Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.4

Mechanic II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Minnesota in February 2009.

Interview

The interview consisted of 20 questions that related to the position. Each panel member asked you a question from a predetermined list. You were asked how you would troubleshoot a specific problem such as a boiler or chiller not working properly. After the panel interview I had to take a skills test that consisted of questions related to the position,

Interview Questions

• What are the specific components in a hvac chiller system?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in February 2008.

Interview

Very fair and honest, well thought out hiring process and plan. The search team was well organized, prompt, and professional. There were several interviews, on the phone, and two on campus interviews with constituents and the workgroup. They were honest about what they wanted, skill sets, personalities, etc.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was not technical, but rather how to handle situations in which the outcomes were out of your control. Not a trick question, but surprising. It took a while to formulate a decent answer.   Answer Question

Decided to stay in my current position

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morris, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Morris, MN) in November 2011.

Interview

At first it was with a phone interview. Then there was a 2 hour meeting in person broken up into 4 15 minute sessions with breaks in between. One meeting was one-on-one. One was with a small group, then a larger group, and a larger group. They showed me around and were very friendly. This was a different interview than I expected, but it was a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• They described a typical situation that comes up for the administrative position and asked how I would handle it.   Answer Question

Communications Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Minnesota in December 2011.

Interview

They obviously had a certain type of person they were looking for. They spoke poorly of the current employee that I would be assuming duties of (she was retiring) so it seemed uncomfortable. They kept fishing for the answers they wanted to hear-I didn't catch on.

Interview Questions

• Pretend I called you on the phone, give me instructions on how to tie my shoes.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of Minnesota in August 2009.

Interview

We applied ath University's website, wait a couple months, got called for interview, waited 2 weeks, offer was made.

Negotiation

I accepted the offer as it was presented

Development Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

The interview process went well overall. Please be prepared for both a behavioral and technical interview with specific questions on trends, university objectives, systems and previous expertise and knowledge. Know the organizational objectives, key players, structure and ask good questions. They have great opportunities across the organization.

Interview Questions

• I cannot think of any unexpected questions during this interview.   Answer Question

The compensation was lower than last position within a large healthcare organization.

Executive Office & Administrative Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2012.

Interview

I was initially contacted by one of the Program Managers to set up an interview date and time via email. My first interview was on a Monday with the Executive Director. My second interview was scheduled for Friday of the same week with his executive staff - one Project Manager, one Program Manager, and one Manager of Technology Services. My third and final interview was scheduled for the following Tuesday with the Executive Director again. All four individuals were extremely professional, pleasant, and direct. Their various personalities were genuinely expressed throughout the interview process, and after working with them for a month, I know that they were being authentic during the interviews. Their primary interests during the interviews were to be certain that (a) I could not only do the job well, but also be a good fit for their team - my hobbies, interests, and life outlook were important to all of them; and (b) I could interact well with people of diverse cultures and ethnicities across various situations.

Interview Questions

• How much experience do you have in dealing/interacting with people of color, minorities, and/or various cultures?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase. Since I would be working for a specific unit/department, their offer was made with what was remaining in their annual budget after the previous permanent employee left and after having retained a temporary employee for three months. In addition, there is a union that dictates wages based upon job title/description and number of years of service within that field.

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2015.

Interview

This was for the position to be the division administrator for Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition. Applied online and got an interview. It was a panel interview with HR, current GI physician, two different administrators and the interview only lasted about an hour or so. I was told there are three rounds total. Second round is with more people and final round is with the department head. I didn't get invited to move forward. My experience is only with first round of interviews. The questions were all situation based. More on team building and very high emphasis on problem solving. All types of problems: people, technology, grant etc. be prepare to come in with examples of how you solve problems.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your grant experience   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you worked with a difficult boss   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to mediate with direct reports (i.e. they were not getting a long)   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a project that you owned and accomplished well   Answer Question
    • Tell me about how you implemented a system or process at a previous workplace.   Answer Question

Program Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview

Can take very long since this is essentially working for the state. LOTS of applicants for every job. Applicants are initially screened by Central HR to see if you meet the basic requirements. Then, applicants are sent to the departments for review. I have worked in a few departments at the U now and I noticed that positions that are in the Academic Health Center or Medical School is much more rigorous when it comes to the interviewing process then in the Liberal Arts or something else.

Interview Questions

• What was one thing you did in your old job that demonstrated innovation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Department went through HR so that they did not need to have that "difficult conversation" about salary.

Department Administrator (Assistant to) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2013.

Interview

Sent resume and cover letter directly to the department head late in the process. Was asked to a panel interview of 6 people--department head was not one of them. Learned from the HR person that it was more or less a courtesy interview because one of the people on the panel knew me and vouched for me. It was a regretful performance on my part.